Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Such an awesome atmosphere here. Having a great time. If it's not a sellout, it's close to it.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #42
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must be tough to be the PBP person when you don’t have a colour person to also chime in and work off of. Looking forward to more of these calls though, hopefully there’s a bunch of free games for the Wranglers on ahltv.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #43
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

no goal
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #44
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wranglers doing everything but scoring on successive powerplays here. Another chance to get back in it now.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #45
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Phillips!!!!
Old 10-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #46
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Phillips is diiiirty
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #47
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Duehr!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #48
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh well my stream is behind
Old 10-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #49
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

6-5
Old 10-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #50
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

More player mistakes at this level... sometimes makes for more exciting games.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #51
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Game over
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #52
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a fun inaugural game to attend.

The Sunday funday pricing is awesome! Cant wait to attend more games this year.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #53
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

My takeaways,

Lots of fun, happy I bought seasons tickets.

I was Very impressed with Jeremie Poirier. Has great poise and confidence with the puck while displaying high offensive awareness.

I feel this was a great game if you wanted to make an argument for or against Matthew Phillips making the big club… you can see offensive upside and skill with two incredible goals…but also easily knocked off the puck when engaged in a battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #54
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last live hockey game my wife attended was an amateur game at the community rink in Spirit River. That experience helped her be a non-hockey fan for her whole life… until now. I persuaded her to accompany me to the Wranglers' opener today, and she was bubbling over with excitement the whole game.

It was a game of career AHLers versus downy-cheeked kids, and looked like it. Right up to the moment Wolf was pulled, the Wranglers had a bad case of the yips. They were playing without structure, missing easy passes and shooting pucks insanely wide, and the Firebirds' wise old pros took full advantage. Wolf kept his team in it for the first period, but then he seemed to get rattled. Can't blame him much. Shots were 25-12 for Coachella, I believe, while he was in. And a shot on goal is always dangerous for a goalie when his defencemen are busy counting to potato.

But after the 5-1 goal the Wranglers settled down and seemed to find their game. Kudos for them to make it close and battle until the final horn. I especially noticed DeSimone, one of the few players to keep his head and play with composure. I think he helped the whole team regroup after the second-period flurry when the Firebirds scored four times in under six minutes, and I was glad to see him rewarded with a goal. I fully understand why the organization is keeping him.

Thanks, Wranglers, for an entertaining game, and for the CP promotional code. It looks like you've recruited a new hockey fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wranglers stole the opening night curse.
The curse wasn't good enough to make the Flames this season, so it got demoted.

Last edited by Jay Random; 10-16-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #55
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was great fun, quality of hockey was very high and for ~60 bucks a family it’s hard to go wrong.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #56
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
My takeaways,

Lots of fun, happy I bought seasons tickets.

I was Very impressed with Jeremie Poirier. Has great poise and confidence with the puck while displaying high offensive awareness.

I feel this was a great game if you wanted to make an argument for or against Matthew Phillips making the big club… you can see offensive upside and skill with two incredible goals…but also easily knocked off the puck when engaged in a battle.

We were there, tons of fun, definitely glad we went. I'd like to see more concessions open on the club level. Choices were very long line or hike back up to the main concourse, even while play was on.

Quoted this post as I thought Phillips was interesting. He definitely had an NHL flash imo. The most impressed I was with him was when he collided with Olofsson on the boardd by the penalty box at the end of the second. He stayed up and Olofsson (listed as 6'2, 201 lb D) went down. Wranglers kept the puck and the play ended with the third goal. I think if he loses that battle we don't score that goal.

But he definitely wasn't winning battles for the puck in the corners, and iirc one of those losses led to a goal against. I think he'd be an asset on the big club but would probably end up being a whipping boy as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:18 PM   #57
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
We were there, tons of fun, definitely glad we went. I'd like to see more concessions open on the club level. Choices were very long line or hike back up to the main concourse, even while play was on.
In the first intermission I tried to skip the club level line and go upstairs. Big mistake. Every concession was packed and the lines were moving really slowly. I didn't get back to my seat until just after the first Wranglers goal, about 8 minutes into the 2nd period.

I enjoyed watching the game and it offers great value for the quality of hockey, but any future Wranglers games I go to I'll probably avoid the concessions.

Pretty sure I watched Scorp snap a picture of Darryl Sutter, but a lot of people tried to do the same.

Last edited by Mazrim; 10-16-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #58
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
In the first intermission I tried to skip the club level line and go upstairs. Big mistake. Every concession was packed and the lines were moving really slowly. I didn't get back to my seat until just after the first Wranglers goal, about 8 minutes into the 2nd period.
Yeah, I made the same mistake in the first intermission, but I think the lines from the first intermission, deterred people going into the second because the lines weren’t as bad in the second intermission.

I don’t imagine that they will have THAT many people at most games, it looks like they just deployed their Hitmen “Sunday funday” staff lineup and didn’t adjust for the full lower bowl.

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #59
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

These were the lines, but there were lots of special teams due to penalties and lots of scrums.

Pelletier-Zary-Phillips
Zohorna-Jones-Pospisil
Bishop-Sutter-Duehr
McClain-Schwindt-Klapka

Gilbert-DeSimone
Kuznetzov-Solovyov
Poirier-Meloche

Wolf
Dansk

Wolf made a lot of saves early on but Wranglers let the Firebirds walk in, get to the slot and the net, and get lots of deflections in close. Wolf got pulled after 5 goals but I’m not sure you can blame him.

DeSimone was one of the better d men. Meloche tried to be physical but didn’t look great. Poirier did alright in his first game and scored a wrister. Sutter is just super industrious. Phillips had a few good shifts - a nice backhand goal and a wraparound goal. Zary had one nice move but missed the net on the finish - otherwise wasn’t fantastic. Pelletier was underwhelming. The Wranglers have a lot of big players who like to muck it up. Pospisil does lots of little annoying things to get under the skin of opponents.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #60
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

official attendance was 5663
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bring back scorch , canucks no good , edmonton is no good , wolfie