Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #1
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Hot Sauces

Simple and straight forward, what are your favourites? Where did you get it? How hot 1-10?

Right now I'm deep into the Cholula Chipotle, great flavour but for spiciness it's only a 2-3.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love this hot sauce, mustard and vinegar base with a good shot of heat.

I haven't been able to find it in Calgary, so if anyone knows please tell me.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've also been enjoying this, not too hot, but with some coconut curry action as well

Local Calgary company

https://www.cultureshocked.ca/store.html#/

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Usually just stick with franks extra hot or sriracha but have a plethora of others. Mother of all hot sauces is about a 9. Haven’t used it in a while. Just got two from Oiljefe habanother one and a ghost pepper one.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I find that I change up my hot sauces somewhat regularly. If I use one too much, the flavor begins to overpower the food, and I get sick of it. Have been using some Caribbean hot sauces lately. This is a pretty generic one, but pretty tasty. I'd say 5-6/10 intensity level of heat:

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #6
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good topic, always hard to find a good hot sauce that fits what you are looking for.
Have been a bit disappointed with all the things I've tried lately.

I'd recommend the buldak sauce I find from our local Korean Mart. I was really addicted to this stuff for a while, goes amazing with burgers/pizza/pasta type things (actually made Kraft Dinner amazing when I tried it on a lazy night).

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valentina.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blind Hot Sauce from Montana

https://blindhotsauce.com/

Montana Smoke jumper Jalapeno is so tasty with a nice balance of heat.

If you like to melt your face off they have a bunch of Carolina Reaper and Habanero sauces.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Valentina.
Oddly, I find I especially love this stuff with Italian food. I find I like other options for Mexican food. I'd rate this a 2-3 spicy.

I have a few Asian chili oils that have a local instagram following. I quite like those for Asian food or fancy sandwiches. I'd say they rank between a 3-5 in spicy while maintaining good flavor. The ones that are slightly fermented are the tastiest.

Hit or miss, for those who like Sriracha should give Sambal Oelek a try. It's something in between Sriracha and Tabasco. I inexplicably love adding this stuff specifically to chicken noodle. Again, it's a 2-3 but I often just dump a good table spoon of the stuff for flavor. It's pretty easy to acquire in most places. Just don't mistakenly buy the garlic chili, it always looks similar, it's very disappointing.

My buddy made some pretty damn good stuff once. I was a Caribbean styled one based off of a family recipe with some "whatever I had on hand" tossed in. I recall he added cloves or something fragrant that just made it amazing. We were literally using it as a chip dip and dealing with the spice consequences later. I might have to bug him to make me some. Spicy rating it's around a 3-4.

Lately, I've been really enjoying gochujang. It's available in most Asian stores but best acquired at a Korean mart. I mix some sesame oil with the gochujang and it's great with veggies, especially peppers. This combo is intended for many recipes (ie: bibimbap), not just veggies. I quite like it with cucumbers too. I'd rate it a solid 1-2 spicy wise, but I consume it for the extra flavor than just pure spicy. It's nice to have a raw veggie dip that isn't completely weird when it's spicy.

** Spicy ratings wise, I'll use Tabasco as a baseline at a 4 (4 for spicy sensitivity purposes for the occasional person with lower tolerance). So you can attempt to compare the spicy level to tabasco. I'd rate Sriracha as a solid 3.

Also my attempt at a spicy rating is based on a relatively equivalent "measure" that maintains the unique flavor of the sauce, so you in theory could increase it by increasing the amount you add. I honestly find too many hot sauces with a "spicy rating" over 6 kinda boring. It tastes like pure capsaicin or a little bit chemically and it isn't really enjoyable. I'd rate eating a raw habanero around a 6-7. I personally prefer to enjoy the food and consume large portions at around a 3-4 rather than much smaller portions of 5+.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a hot sauce per se, but more of a chili paste. I always keep this stuff in the fridge.

It's pretty easy to make this and keeps in the fridge for 6 months.

https://cookingcookbooks.com/recipe/...-red-or-green/

Growing up, this was the standard "hot sauce" my Palestinian parents used to make.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #11
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Good topic, always hard to find a good hot sauce that fits what you are looking for.
Have been a bit disappointed with all the things I've tried lately.

I'd recommend the buldak sauce I find from our local Korean Mart. I was really addicted to this stuff for a while, goes amazing with burgers/pizza/pasta type things (actually made Kraft Dinner amazing when I tried it on a lazy night).

Would you say this is hotter than the buldak fire noodle sauce in the black package? I love the flavour of the noodles but it’s just too hot for me. I buy the “light” ones (40% less spicy) and they are just about right
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Valentina.
This is the answer. Not hot, just ridiculously delicious.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #13
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycana View Post
Would you say this is hotter than the buldak fire noodle sauce in the black package? I love the flavour of the noodles but it’s just too hot for me. I buy the “light” ones (40% less spicy) and they are just about right
It’s the exact same stuff just in a bottle instead of a packet. Good to buy and turn all ramen noodles into Buldak
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the holidays, my wife got me the season 16 full set of hot sauces from Hot Ones.

https://heatonist.com/collections/ho...39394065186914

I took it to a holiday party where all the men tried every sauce at least once to run the gauntlet. No joke at all, Da Bomb is ####ing gross and downright impossible to eat. Every other sauce, including the Apollo, was tasty if not crazy hot. Hellfire was close to being impossible to eat as well.

My favorites included the Bliss & Vinegar, which had a hint of strawberry in it, and the Señor Lechuga adobo, black lime, and ghost pepper (the generic label one). All others had good and bad points, and I was surprised that only the last 3 were too much for me. There's serious heat in most of these, but if you know what to expect, it's not too bad and quite tasty. Not for the faint of heart though...if you find Tabasco or Sriracha too hot, stay faaaar away from these.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 01-20-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #15
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Cena likes the Lao Gan Ma. I have a bottle and like it too. Not so much for the spicyness, but the overall flavour is really solid.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1045933836054355969
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #16
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

https://hungryvolcano.com/

A local hot sauce shop
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:03 PM   #17
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
For the holidays, my wife got me the season 16 full set of hot sauces from Hot Ones.

https://heatonist.com/collections/ho...39394065186914

I took it to a holiday party where all the men tried every sauce at least once to run the gauntlet. No joke at all, Da Bomb is ####ing gross and downright impossible to eat. Every other sauce, including the Apollo, was tasty if not crazy hot. Hellfire was close to being impossible to eat as well.

My favorites included the Bliss & Vinegar, which had a hint of strawberry in it, and the Señor Lechuga adobo, black lime, and ghost pepper (the generic label one). All others had good and bad points, and I was surprised that only the last 3 were too much for me. There's serious heat in most of these, but if you know what to expect, it's not too bad and quite tasty. Not for the faint of heart though...if you find Tabasco or Sriracha too hot, stay faaaar away from these.
I opened this thread to ask if anyone tried Da Bomb from hot ones. It’s my favourite point in each interview, I can’t believe their claim to fame is being disgusting!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #18
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Da Bomb is no joke. It is terrible tasting and has a crazy heat that builds quickly. Tried it twice on wings before throwing it in the trash.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
ChuckieNZ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yea, Da Bomb is disgustingly awful.

I'm enjoying some selections from Torchbearers at the moment. Pretty good kick, around 120,000-150,000 scoville.

Otherwise my go to is this beauty - fantastic flavour (ingredients include pineapple, mango, banana & habenero) especially on something like pizza.

ChuckieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Not technically a hot sauce, but does anyone know where I can find this Thai chili paste? It's incredibly delicious in any kind of noodle soup dish, and I'm running dangerously low. T&T used to carry it but I haven't found it on my last few visits

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote