Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 11:19 AM   #6261
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cyberpunk is probably my second favourite game of the last five years, behind Death Stranding. Both of those games I feel I could just keep playing. Great stories (especially Death Stranding), super fun, addictive mechanics, just overall great games. Both I also feel are incredibly underrated and misrepresented for what they are currently.

It’s been a pretty good decade or so for the open-world format. Even Assassin’s Creed put out an unusually great game. But with RDR2, Ghost, and the Horizon games there has been a lot of selection of really memorable open-world games lately.
I played Cyberpunk over the summer all patched up and thought it was fantastic. Such a shame they couldn't have delayed it rather than launching it in such a buggy mess as I feel there are a lot of gamers out there that would enjoy this game but have preconceived notions that it's a bust.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #6262
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Glad it's getting a lot of new players after the exceptional Edgerunners anime.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:39 PM   #6263
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cyberpunk is part of a long list of games that decided meeting their obligation to retailers (and undoubtedly shareholders) instead of delaying and got bad reviews as a result.

Credit to the dev team for continuing to fix things however. From all accounts, Cyberpunk is now running really well and is actually a really good game... overcoming that initial poor review is tough though.

Same thing happened to Days Gone. They should have delayed it and even edited the open world a little in order to tighten up the game instead of spreading their team out for all those side missions. I thought it was actually a solid game, but the initial ratings really hurt it. The Horde missions were probably the single most amazing event in gaming (for me) of the last generation.

Looking forward to finally picking up Cyberpunk in time for the Phantom Liberty DLC
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #6264
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the first person ever nominated for a Grammy via a video game soundtrack to the first winner of the brand new Grammy category for a video game soundtrack:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622339614869721095
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 PM   #6265
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Man, it still hurts there won't be a sequel to Days Gone.

I'm still chipping away at my back catalogue of games.

Just finished Control. Really fun game, good combat, decent skill tree, fairly challenging. The story is super weird and dives into the paranormal is a fun way. Good length of game for those who like a shorter game. I think the sequel will end up being better just because the world is so interesting, it has a ton of potential.

Returnal was a ton of fun too. Awesome combat and visually impressive.

Next up is Horizon Forbidden West.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 05:14 AM   #6266
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Cyberpunk is part of a long list of games that decided meeting their obligation to retailers (and undoubtedly shareholders) instead of delaying and got bad reviews as a result.
The game was pulled from the PlayStation Store, completely unprecedented for a major studio release. Glad to hear the devs have fixed the issues, but this was completely embarrassing for Projekt Red, the most bungled release I can remember.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #6267
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

Credit to the dev team for continuing to fix things however. From all accounts, Cyberpunk is now running really well and is actually a really good game... overcoming that initial poor review is tough though.

Same thing happened to Days Gone. They should have delayed it and even edited the open world a little in order to tighten up the game instead of spreading their team out for all those side missions. I thought it was actually a solid game, but the initial ratings really hurt it. The Horde missions were probably the single most amazing event in gaming (for me) of the last generation.

Looking forward to finally picking up Cyberpunk in time for the Phantom Liberty DLC
I also played Days Gone about a year after launch where it was all patched up and it's still to this day one of my favorite Sony exclusive games. It must have been pretty brutal at launch to get the low scores it did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #6268
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I also played Days Gone about a year after launch where it was all patched up and it's still to this day one of my favorite Sony exclusive games. It must have been pretty brutal at launch to get the low scores it did.
That’s pretty high praise. We seem to have pretty similar taste in games so I’m going to give Days Gone a shot! I think I played it on release but didn’t get much into it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #6269
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I tried to get into Days Gone but I was so burnt out with zombie games I couldn't stick with it. It really didn't seem to have anything to set it apart other than the motorcycle stuff
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #6270
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

"There Is A Sickness In The Ancient Pitted Cobbles Of The Old Road, And On Its Writhing Path You Will Face Viciousness, Violence, And Perhaps Other Damnably Transcendent Terrors."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622646923625918464
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #6271
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s pretty high praise. We seem to have pretty similar taste in games so I’m going to give Days Gone a shot! I think I played it on release but didn’t get much into it.
It is good, I really enjoyed it. Don't go looking for a deep story or anything groundbreaking, but if fun is all you're after, you found it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #6272
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I tried to get into Days Gone but I was so burnt out with zombie games I couldn't stick with it. It really didn't seem to have anything to set it apart other than the motorcycle stuff
The story isn't TLOU or RDR good but it's better than average for an open world game and the voice acting is outstanding. If you have got tired of the open world games or zombie themed games I can see why it may not float your boat but I enjoyed the side missions, combat, item customization, etc. I really liked the character arc of the protagonist (Deacon) as he starts off as an unlikeable, damaged dude but as the story progresses you learn about how he got that way and see him become a better person as the story progresses. I usually don't get that type of character development from an AC protagonist for instance that's the same person from beginning to end so maybe more like RDR with Zombies than AC with zombies. I just found it compelling and very fun and as said above the horde missions are intense fun.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #6273
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I like it well enough, but it's only a solid 7/10.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:30 PM   #6274
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open world have gotten to the point of overdone, imo, just way too many unnecessary side quests.

With Days Gone, I thought I was close to finishing the game, and then I opened up the mountain pass to an entirely new map area...

I still think about the first big horde camp I cleared which was probably 500 zombies? it wasn't as big as the sawmill...just way more fun than the typical 'base/camp clearing' you do in games like Far Cry or Horizon.

Days Gone is imperfect...but I thought it could have been so much tighter with sequel... For a game you can probably pick up for cheap its worth a buy
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #6275
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I tried Days Gone when it was released, but it never clicked with me. I think I only played 5-6 hours. Planning on giving it another go on the Steam Deck as I’ve heard it runs pretty well.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #6276
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Days gone felt like a goofy fun game that was a little bit more serious vs the Dead rising series. I enjoyed it, but I played it after it was patched up and I can agree with others that it feels like it lacks depth and a true hook.

But I think it was weirdly the game play and random snippets of actually interesting story that was the hook.

The botanical collection sections of the story were kinda WTF though.

It helped a little bit as a Flames fan that Deacon looks a little bit like Dube.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #6277
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Days Gone is a 4 year old 7.5/10 relatively generic open world game that nobody ever shuts up about, it's mystifying.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 02-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #6278
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I beat Nioh 2 last night and it was a fantastic game. Once it clicked, I got to really love the combat. The developer, Team Ninja, has a new game called Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty coming out March 3 and it is absolutely a day 1 play for me. I think it's on game pass day 1.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #6279
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Days Gone is a 4 year old 7.5/10 relatively generic open world game that nobody ever shuts up about, it's mystifying.
Don't worry, I feel that way about 80% of the games discussed here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 05:33 PM   #6280
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah 7.5ish sounds about right for Days Gone, decent game.