Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #5801
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alice, Darling starring Anna Kendrick is worth a watch.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:39 AM   #5802
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went deep into the library last night.

Gonna have to throw out a recommendation for Con Air. Just a true classic.

"Put the bunny back in the box"
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #5803
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw a few good films recently. My wife didn't really like any of them and said she will be picking movie night next.

The Batman: It's like they turned the grittiness of Nolan's Batman trilogy up to 11 including making Bruce Wayne full on emo. I did enjoy the darker mystery aspects with Batman trying to solve a mystery with a personal connection. Also loved how this looked with some beautifully shot scenes that gave both comic book and noir vibes. Problem was this felt self indulgent at times with most of the 2nd act ending up meaningless and then going on for another 30 minutes after a logical ending point. No way this needed to be 3 hours. Also not getting the praise for Farrell's Penguin. He was covered up in so much prosthetics it could have been almost any actor giving that performance. 8/10

Everything Everywhere All At Once: A fun ride with some laughs, action, and a lot of creativity but drags at times including at the end. I enjoyed the sci fi premise with the multiverse and inspiration from the Matrix that provided some great moments. This started off really fast paced but had trouble sticking the landing. There were great themes around choices but too much time was spent making them obvious. Thought some of the side stories could have been shortened while the style of story telling created an odd feeling of multiple endings. 8/10

Glass Onion: A stylish fast paced mystery with Rian Johnson adding his twist to an Agatha Christie inspired story about an island murder. Daniel Craig is fun in the lead as is the ensemble cast. Much of the humour is derived from the stupidity of the characters which is also a major theme. Unfortunately the story is also kind of stupid and it's best not to think about it too much in detail. 7/10

The Menu: A dark comedy with some horror/thriller elements that pokes fun at foodies and fine dining. Lots of clever humour and Ralph Fiennes brilliantly plays a celebrity chef. Wanted more with the ending feeling pretty quick and straightforward after all the preceding twists. Thought additional time could have been spent getting into the characters or having more horror moments. 8/10

Top Gun Maverick: My favourite of this group. Just a lot of fun and feels like 80s action movie but created with modern technology. The story was kept simple and, despite being a reboot, it felt like a genuine sequel to the original. Did feel at times like they were just ticking boxes for nostaligia and to set up the final act. It was an epic finale though. Good times. 9/10

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-05-2023 at 08:51 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 08:18 AM   #5804
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a pretty solid weekend:

Infinity Pool: Really dug it, but not for everyone me thinks. A really interesting exploration of the shadow self and what unlocks it, and how that relates to our kinks etc.

To Die For: Somehow I thought this was an erotic thriller my entire life, probably due to poster/VHS box art. It rules, a Buck Henry script directed by Gus Van Sant? Yes please.

McCabe and Mrs Miller: In terms of Robert Altman's experiments in subverting classic genres I think I dig The Long Goodbye more, but I do prefer Film Noir to Westerns. McCabe is incredibly bleak and for that it rules.

Persona: Holy fata, I can't wait to rewatch this.

Crash (1996): I think this one will grow on me over time. But the charged sexual energy permeates though out this entire film. Holly Hunter and James Spader..hello.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 02-06-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 08:45 AM   #5805
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Infinity Pool is definitely not for everyone, I really liked Cronenberg's last film "Possessor" so I was definitely interested. Huge fan of Skarsgard and Mia Goth but I didn't love it, sci-fi like this can go pretty far out there and drag you along if it's compelling but I just wasn't going along with it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #5806
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

The Menu: A dark comedy with some horror/thriller elements that pokes fun at foodies and fine dining. Lots of clever humour and Ralph Fiennes brilliantly plays a celebrity chef. Wanted more with the ending feeling pretty quick and straightforward after all the preceding twists. Thought additional time could have been spent getting into the characters or having more horror moments. 8/10
We watched this on Saturday as well and really enjoyed it. I would also give a solid 8/10.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:02 AM   #5807
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearts Beat Loud is a nice little movie with Nick Offerman
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 11:30 PM   #5808
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infinity Pool was excellent. Complex story that you had no clue where it was going, and very creepy moments reminiscent of The Strangers and Clockwork Orange mixed in with a dash of his Dad's body horror. Brandon Cronenberg is 2 for 2 for me and one of the most exciting new directors.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:00 AM   #5809
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Knock at the Cabin stinks on ice.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:24 AM   #5810
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Infinity Pool was excellent. Complex story that you had no clue where it was going, and very creepy moments reminiscent of The Strangers and Clockwork Orange mixed in with a dash of his Dad's body horror. Brandon Cronenberg is 2 for 2 for me and one of the most exciting new directors.
I liked Possessor so I will have to give this one a look.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #5811
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I liked Possessor so I will have to give this one a look.
I loved Possessor but I think I enjoyed Infinity Pool more
Old 02-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #5812
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
We watched this on Saturday as well and really enjoyed it. I would also give a solid 8/10.
Excuse me, what the hell are these?

TOR-TI-LLAS sir
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:33 PM   #5813
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Saw this in theatres on cheap movie night and I gotta agree, and yet I could not stop watching. Like a car wreck or something I guess.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:42 PM   #5814
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Damnit. I knew it would suck but part of me was hoping M. Night might have pulled it off. Ah well.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 06:08 PM   #5815
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Damnit. I knew it would suck but part of me was hoping M. Night might have pulled it off. Ah well.
Bautista is really good. Great, in fact. The opening of the film is strong, before the premise kind of wears out its shock and intrigue

Its one of those Shyamalan movies where there just isn't a lot going on. It tries for tension to substitute for that and yet somehow it just didn't hit in the suspense department, at least for me

The dialogue isn't as bad as recent M Night entries, but I think by now he might never figure out realistic human dialogue. Depending on the movie/plot, I suppose that can be part of the charm though
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #5816
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah Bautista is by far the best part. He's become a fantastic performer honestly.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:03 PM   #5817
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I was interested in Knock at the Cabin because of Bautista. He seems to turn in some very strong understated performances, contrast to Drax and his WWE career.

Loved him in Bladerunner 2049.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #5818
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bautista is a great actor and has given some great performances. But for me, the greatest acting performance by a wrestler will always be........

Spoiler!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 03:26 PM   #5819
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #5820
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagined it would. The book was a major letdown after the cool premise and it's not often a movie improves on the book.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote