Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2023, 02:42 PM   #101
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm not sure how Hot Ones calculates the scoville rating, but they either rate this one too low (120k) or the Last Dab too high (1m) because I found them very similar heat-wise

I think that a really good hot sauce that is super tasty can hide or amplify its heat as necessary. I have no proof or examples off the top of my head, but, I can go hard on some really high scolville sauces BUT I can't touch things like Da Bomb.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:16 PM   #102
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I think that a really good hot sauce that is super tasty can hide or amplify its heat as necessary. I have no proof or examples off the top of my head, but, I can go hard on some really high scolville sauces BUT I can't touch things like Da Bomb.
That just comes down to extract sauces vs natural pepper mash. Extracts will always cause way more pain than a regular pepper sauce, and usually they taste like crap because they only take the heat from the peppers, nothing else. The worse one I ever had was Mad Dog 357, which was on the early seasons of Hot Ones. After trying a healthy dose on some ribs it left me with stomach cramps for the rest of the afternoon, and the next morning was the worst case of "ring of fire" I've ever had. I can eat the hottest natural pepper sauces out there with no issue though
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #103
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife won’t let me buy any new hot sauces until the 20 or so bottles I’ve acquired on warm-weather trips are consumed. I don’t use a lot so I’m probably good for life.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #104
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
That just comes down to extract sauces vs natural pepper mash. Extracts will always cause way more pain than a regular pepper sauce, and usually they taste like crap because they only take the heat from the peppers, nothing else. The worse one I ever had was Mad Dog 357, which was on the early seasons of Hot Ones. After trying a healthy dose on some ribs it left me with stomach cramps for the rest of the afternoon, and the next morning was the worst case of "ring of fire" I've ever had. I can eat the hottest natural pepper sauces out there with no issue though
We have a bottle of MadDog 357 Silver. They've use a couple of the Mad Dog 357 sauces on Hot ones:

https://www.saucemania.com.au/hot-sa...es-hot-sauces/

It's an extract sauce, and like other extract sauces has a really metalic kind of taste to it. It's purely for novelty purposes.

I don't know how exactly the Scovillle ratings work. I've had the DaBomb, which felt just as hot, despite having a rating about 6x less. I've had the Hellife, which is made with natural pepper mash, but is rated 3-4 times higher than the DaBomb but didn't feel nearly as hot:

https://hellfirehotsauce.com/product...fool-hot-sauce
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #105
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I can do the MadDog sauces though, so that's weird.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #106
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I got to the point where I was full on pouring the Hellfire sauce onto things. Never could get past more than a few drops of MadDog though. It was the silver one, which is one of their hotter ones.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #107
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Well you'd have to specify which sauce, since they have both extract and non-extract sauces

https://maddog357.com/collections/sauces/products/3571

https://maddog357.com/collections/sa...cts/357-pgold1
Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 AM   #108
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pure guess, but I almost want to say that pepper mash/raw pepper has a naturally built in time release vs extract is all immediately at the surface. Kinda like the difference between pouring water into 151 to reach 80 proof vs a spirit that's sold at 80 proof? Yes, I get that the example is poor because many distillers indeed go to 151 and dilute down, but IMO you can't just pour water into Everclear or Spirytus and get it to taste like vodka.

I'm guessing pouring pepper extract into pepper paste doesn't cause it to recombine the same as if it was the natural capsaicin in the pepper paste?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:44 AM   #109
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Well you'd have to specify which sauce, since they have both extract and non-extract sauces

https://maddog357.com/collections/sauces/products/3571

Sorry, yeah. The regular 357. Never even knew pure gold existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I got to the point where I was full on pouring the Hellfire sauce onto things. Never could get past more than a few drops of MadDog though. It was the silver one, which is one of their hotter ones.

Yeah, I think finding out the difference between mash and extract is opening my eyes into what I like and don't like. I'm shocked I never picked up on that before.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Pure guess, but I almost want to say that pepper mash/raw pepper has a naturally built in time release vs extract is all immediately at the surface. Kinda like the difference between pouring water into 151 to reach 80 proof vs a spirit that's sold at 80 proof? Yes, I get that the example is poor because many distillers indeed go to 151 and dilute down, but IMO you can't just pour water into Everclear or Spirytus and get it to taste like vodka.

I'm guessing pouring pepper extract into pepper paste doesn't cause it to recombine the same as if it was the natural capsaicin in the pepper paste?
That makes total sense. You'd assume, the Capsaicin is contained throughout a natural pepper. Even in a sauce, you're going to have a slower release, as you'd have much of it contained in the fibers of the peppers. When you have the extract, the Capsaicin is all just there.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #111
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.pepperscale.com/pepper-anatomy/

Remove the glands. Just like a tonsillectomy.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:36 PM   #112
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those that are curious, here's the newest lineup for Hot Ones:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:24 PM   #113
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm interested in the sauces on either side of Da Bomb. The yellow one especially looks like it would be very tasty
Old 01-20-2023, 05:49 PM   #114
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had last year's line up

You don't even feel the sauce following da bomb because it's usually still wreaking havoc on your mouth

Last dab expands the pain to the rest of your body

People don't talk about TLD as much, but the pain from that one lasted for a good 30 minutes.. heck maybe it was longer
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #115
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm interested in the sauces on either side of Da Bomb. The yellow one especially looks like it would be very tasty
Agreed, and that mushroom concoction seems very intriguing. Worth giving it a go.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #116
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://rudishotsauce.com/product-ca...-label-series/

I obtained a little thing of their Carolina Reaper Mash from someone who visited Halifax, but I think it was discontinued or something. It was really sour... but went really damn good with spring rolls when mixed with a spicy pad thai sauce. It also worked nicely to give a pico de gallo or guacamole a little bit of a kick.

Rudi's has a Candy reaper sauce that sounds awesome. It sounds like it might be even better for spring rolls without being mixed. The flavor profile seems like it would do well with Asian and Mexican cuisine.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:07 PM   #117
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

A little bump, need help finding a couple of new hot sauces. I've never really been into hot sauce, but I really like the two sauces below. They are a bit harder to get though, and shipping is not cheap.

Any recommendations for locally available sauces that are similar to these ones? Thank you

Hot Ones - The Classic: Garlic Fresno Edition https://heatonist.com/en-ca/products...fresno-edition
Humble House - Ancho & Morita https://www.humblehousefoods.com/onl...auce-p57990964

Last edited by RW99; 11-01-2023 at 04:42 PM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote