Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 21 6.29%
Arnold 18 5.39%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 1 0.30%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 2 0.60%
Kanzig 3 0.90%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 143 42.81%
Mangiapane 1 0.30%
McDonald 31 9.28%
Morrison 16 4.79%
Ollas Mattson 1 0.30%
Rafikov 1 0.30%
Sieloff 3 0.90%
Smith 7 2.10%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 86 25.75%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Summer 2015 Prospect Ranking - Round 10

It's time.

Calgarypuck's 3rd annual Prospect Ranking Poll!

Going with the 25 and under with 65 or less games played at the NHL level which actually works pretty closely with my own rule of thumb of "anyone not too old that hasn't been penciled in".

Therefore Granlund, Ortio and Ferland are still prospects, with Jooris 5 games light of the 65 game limit.

Monahan and Gaudreau are young but clearly established and no longer prospects. Bennett may be penciled in but he's only played 12 NHL games and is a prospect.

Previous Two Editions
2014 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...highlight=poll
2013 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ghlight=Summer

Rankings:

1. Sam Bennett - 96% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147961)
2. Emile Poirier - 38% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147973)
3. Jon Gillies - 35% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147982)
4. Micheal Ferland - 44% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147999)
5. Joni Ortio - 63% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148014)
6. Mark Jankowski - 38% Run off (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148037 / http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148031)
7. Brandon Hickey - 57% Run off (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148057 / http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148044)
8. Markus Granlund - 47% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148068)
9. Morgan Klimchuk - 55% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148080)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The next 5 in my opinion will be these guys in some order, Kylington, Andersson, Morrison, McDonald and Wotherspoon.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the title of the thread should be round 10...

voting OK for 9th straight time....
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wotherspoon for me. He's a proven AHL top defenceman and just needs some time in the NHL to show his stuff. He's dropped a couple of spots in my rankings (5th to 7th) from last year but the rest of the choices are unproven to say the least.

also this year he'll get in a full training camp which he didn't have last season
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Morrison for me. 6 pts in 10 games with Adironack. Would be the most likely to crack the Flames lineup this year amongst those still on the list. Also highly touted, right shot. A 6-7D role quite possible. More probable NHLer than Kylington or Andersson at this moment. Kylington has huge upside but still a cloud surrounds him around defensive play and ego. Next year could be a different story. For now it is Morrison for me.

"Earlier today Bob was talking about the Flames being the front runners in signing Morrison. Regarded as one of the more exceptional players available, this will potentially help the depth issues on the blueline, especially as the Flames don't have the strongest prospect pool at defense. Ryan Lambert had some praise for the young defender, mentioning he was strong in shot generation with 105 attempts in 37 games." Matchsticks and Gasoline

"Kenney Morrison had an optional practice and two morning skates to learn everything he could about the Adirondack Flames. So, not a lot.
But it must have been enough for the defenseman out of Western Michigan University. He scored three points in his first professional game, including his first goal.
Morrison downplayed it all as lucky bounces.
"It's definitely good to come in and contribute right away," Morrison said. "You don't have that pressure later on in the year."
The not-even-rookie beat Tyler Bunz blocker-side in the second period for his first professional goal. Morrison tallied the secondary assists on Ben Hanowski's goal in the first period and David Wolf's empty-netter in the third.
Morrison got in on the power play in his first game. Coach Ryan Huska thinks it's important to get him ice time so he feels comfortable.
"He looked really good tonight," Huska said. "We're kinda excited about what he's going to bring in these last 10 games for us."" The Post Star
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went with Billy Arnold .. I think we may be underrating him
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flame^thrower For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Morrison is probably the most ready of who's left on the list and I think he has potential but I've been voting on who I think has the most upside.

I think Morrison has a great chance to either make the team or be the first call up on D but I think he's more of a 4-5 guy tops where I see Kylington as a potential #2 guy who gets tons of points.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love how Kylington is going to end up being ahead of a guy who plays the exact same position that the Flames just drafted ahead of him a few weeks ago.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington. Hopefully this gets done so I can finally vote elsewhere.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Love how Kylington is going to end up being ahead of a guy who plays the exact same position that the Flames just drafted ahead of him a few weeks ago.
I don't think it is all that surprising. Fans are understandably less risk averse than a professional scout whose livelihood could be threatened by a draft pick who flops.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

After Kylington its time to go Mason MacDonald. He's every bit the goalie prospect that Gillies and Ortio are, just younger and people don't know much a bout him.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think we're underrating McDonald on here due to the fact that no goalies put up good numbers in the Q. The guy is gonna be the starter for Canada's world junior team in December. It was a toss up between him, Kylington and Andersson for me.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Based on pure upside? Kylington no doubt.

I agree with flame^thrower though, I think Bill Arnold comes in as an unsung hero this year. Among the most consistent and reliable forwards on this entire list.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Went with McDonald but boy it's getting tough. Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon, Morrison, and Arnold all considered.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wotherspoon for me. Hypothetically, I don't think I would have liked it if we traded him to get a 2nd rounder to draft Kylington. So that's my logic and I'm sticking to it!
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably "off the board here", but I went with Ryan Culkin. Very strong junior career with good progression each year. Very strong first year in the AHL cut short by an injury. Played in all situations in Adirondack and had good reviews from the coaching staff. I like what I've seen from him over the years and I think he's going to be a decent 2nd pairing d-man in the near future.

For me, Culkin was right in the same group as Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon, Morrison, and Kulak. Really hard to choose from that group as they all have different things to be excited about, but for me I chose the guy that has shown steady progression at all levels and is probably close to being NHL ready.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still going with Andersson. He has high upside and his conditioning issues don't seem like that much of a risk. I like his chances.

Wotherspoon is my next choice given that I think he is close to becoming a full time NHLer.

I am still leery on picking McDonald as goalies seem like such a crapshoot when they are that young.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #18
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really grtting tricky now, but voted Hathaway. Was between him and Wotherspoon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane.

- I don't see his size as an issue. Even if he were to not reach his upside offensively there's still Paul Byron type PKer etc roleplayer downside there.
- He was a projected second/third rounder in 2014. If you look at his dev curve it's very similar to higher draft picks.
- He's got a nice wrister, and some good stickhandling.
- He's got that innate ability to find the puck and hold on to it and find open ice.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-13-2015 at 09:22 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDonald.

I was torn between McDonald. Morrison and Wotherspoon. So suprised that Kylington is getting the votes this round, but I guess excitement level and upside are bigger factors here than would be in a pro scout's evaluation at the draft table. Understandable.

I looked at it as who would fetch the biggest return in a trade today. Who knows how McDonald will end up but if anything he has elevated his status since being picked in the second round. So maybe he could be worth close to a late first round or early second round pick? Look at what other, albeit more accomplished young goalies were traded for this offseason.

I don't believe you could say the same thing of the remaining prosepcts in the poll.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote