Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #201
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone looked into whether the cryoutilities changes affect power profiles -> battery life?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:08 PM   #202
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Has anyone looked into whether the cryoutilities changes affect power profiles -> battery life?
I can't find anything saying it has much effect on battery except maybe a slight improvement because of optimization.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #203
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This scraping of my roms through Emulation Station is going to take weeks. lol Should up the cool factor though. Emudeck is a pretty impressive set up 🙂
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #204
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don’t use Emulation Station although I do have it set up. I have everything in Steam categories with custom artwork (shoutout to castcoder on SteamGridDB).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #205
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I don’t use Emulation Station although I do have it set up. I have everything in Steam categories with custom artwork (shoutout to castcoder on SteamGridDB).

That looks very slick. Do you happen to have a link or instructions for how to set up the games that way? Is it just adding them as non steam games then adding the custom artwork etc? Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:53 PM   #206
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I used Steam Rom Manager which gets installed with EmuDeck. It sets up the categories and imports the roms into Steam, adding artwork as well. I didn’t follow a guide but figured it out with trial and error. Make sure your roms are named properly to make it easier for SRM to identify and import them. Don’t try to import too many games at once or it might hang and crash. I’d do one console at a time with no more than 100-200 roms.

It took forever to get the same style for each system. Most games have the proper art but I had to bust out photoshop for some. I was pretty selective but still ended up with over 1300 games from 26 different consoles.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 12-11-2023 at 04:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 07:16 PM   #207
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
It took forever to get the same style for each system. Most games have the proper art but I had to bust out photoshop for some. I was pretty selective but still ended up with over 1300 games from 26 different consoles.
Says the guy with Jeopardy! for the Sega CD
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 07:44 PM   #208
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Hey, it was a fun game back in the day, and Sega CD didn’t exactly have a ton of great games.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 04:39 PM   #209
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I used Steam Rom Manager which gets installed with EmuDeck. It sets up the categories and imports the roms into Steam, adding artwork as well. I didn’t follow a guide but figured it out with trial and error. Make sure your roms are named properly to make it easier for SRM to identify and import them. Don’t try to import too many games at once or it might hang and crash. I’d do one console at a time with no more than 100-200 roms.

Thanks I'll likely look at doing the same. Looks pretty sharp. Much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #210
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got my dbrand gear today. Killswitch case and some accessories. Stick covers won't fit OLED but they have acknowledged that and will provide new ones for free once they are available. Everything looks and fits great. They definitely make a quality product.

Been playing around quite a bit with Switch emulator Yuzu. I think the Steam Deck looks and plays some games better than the Switch itself. lol.

What romset are you guys using for Arcade? I used the 2003plus set but a lot of the games don't seem to work with Retroarch? Would one of the more modern sets be better? I'm sure the deck has the hardware to handle it.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:25 PM   #211
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, it was a fun game back in the day, and Sega CD didn’t exactly have a ton of great games.
I loved playing Family Feud on SNES
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:04 PM   #212
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
The fact you separate Sega CD into it's own category is impressive dedication. The few games I have in my collection get bundled into my Genesis category
Old 12-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #213
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I loved playing Family Feud on SNES
There's a good customizable flash version around somewhere. I used it for a few family events years ago and everyone had a blast.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #214
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just installed Chiaki4Deck....who needs to fight scalpers for a Playstation Portal? Not this guy
Old 12-15-2023, 04:16 PM   #215
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Got my dbrand gear today. Killswitch case and some accessories. Stick covers won't fit OLED but they have acknowledged that and will provide new ones for free once they are available. Everything looks and fits great. They definitely make a quality product.

Been playing around quite a bit with Switch emulator Yuzu. I think the Steam Deck looks and plays some games better than the Switch itself. lol.

What romset are you guys using for Arcade? I used the 2003plus set but a lot of the games don't seem to work with Retroarch? Would one of the more modern sets be better? I'm sure the deck has the hardware to handle it.
Yuzu is great. There’s a few games like TOTK that don’t work great on Steam Deck but there’s plenty that do.

I don’t have arcade games emulated on mine yet. MAME isn’t supposed to be great on Steam Deck but I’ll play around with it eventually. I haven’t updated my roms in a few years. It’s too bad the Pleasuredome tracker is gone although it’s easy enough to find their sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Just installed Chiaki4Deck....who needs to fight scalpers for a Playstation Portal? Not this guy
The Portal seems like such scam. Is it even portable enough to use outside?
Old 12-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #216
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The fact you separate Sega CD into it's own category is impressive dedication. The few games I have in my collection get bundled into my Genesis category
The only Sega CD game I've been planning to play for years is Snatcher but its not the same without lightgun support. I had planned back in the day to use the Lethal Enforcers light gun for the Genesis at one point but all my vintage stuff disappeared as I grew up and moved out.

Any other Sega CD games anyone would recommend?
Old 12-19-2023, 03:17 PM   #217
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
The only Sega CD game I've been planning to play for years is Snatcher but its not the same without lightgun support. I had planned back in the day to use the Lethal Enforcers light gun for the Genesis at one point but all my vintage stuff disappeared as I grew up and moved out.

Sonic CD is the primary reason why anyone would own the Sega CD. Beyond that it had the "definitive edition" of some games like Earthworm Jim, NHL 94, Ecco the Dolphin. Android Assault was also a very good shootemup for it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #218
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

Eternal Champions is probably my favourite fighting game. Night Trap and Sewer Shark are fun to try for a laugh. I loved playing the Lunar games but the PS1 versions are supposed to be better.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:03 PM   #219
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Man I have done this so many times for every different emulation platform I end up customizing, it takes forever.

Did this for hacked SNES, Genesis, PSX minis, various emulation handhelds, etc. I dread doing it again for Steamdeck. On the Genesis one, I even had to write custom marketing blurbs for each game to match the look and feel of the original UI. Maybe I should pay you for your SD Card customization folder
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #220
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Did anybody order a Steamdeck OLED and have to pay customs or duties?