Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #341
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

EDIT: ALL WORKING NOW... Unplugged ALL cables & plugged back in... still was not working last night; but just tested at 2pm & VOD is finally working - so not sure what solution was.... if a remote update from Shaw support for past few days or the physical unplugging & re-plugging with system re-setting itself from my end...

================

Friday night I got the Internet 150 & speed tests confirm 160-170 on wired connection. & up 15.5-16.5
I have not tried anything yet that would show this.

and after 20 years with Shaw decided to go with their Gateway system as it is supposed to be much better than the initial release years ago.

In any event the TV system itself systems to work well, but the VOD, shomi, wishlist, etc all have not worked since the technician left.

I've tried customer care & they've tried a few things (updates, restarting the gateway & portal on other tv... to no avail yet.)

Just wondering if anyone else had seen & resolved this issue.

The only thing I did after the technician left – was to rename the wifi network from the Shaw # to a personalized SSID.

2.4 GHz:
xxxx

5Ghz:
xxxx

ERROR DIALOG:
“This channel is not currently being broadcast, or there is a problem with receiving the signal.

Please try another channel to verify that your signal is functioning properly and check your channel line-up to make sure this channel is being broadcast.”

TIA

Last edited by Inferno099; 07-25-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: system - VOD now working
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #342
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction with a few settings issues I am having with the Hitron.

Wired connection is showing 150/15. No probs there.

Wifi on the other hand ranges from 8-40 DL but a consistent 14/15 upload on the 2.4/5.0GHz bands. Does anyone know what setting I should look into to tweak/fix the DL speeds? The first time I speed tested via the speed test app on 5.0GHz on my iphone, I was getting 150/15, but via browser, speed test sites were showing 50-60/15 which I was ok with. But after I started tinkering with the settings, my download speeds have been unstable. I even reset the modem to default and my DL speeds are still all over the place. Upload is fine at about 12-15. The fact UL is ok almost seems like it's not a interference issue, but I could be wrong.

Just want to see what else I can look into myself before calling tech support.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #343
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a shaw customer for 13 years (ever since I moved on my own) and pulling the plug this weekend to go to Telus. Pissed I missed the 50" smart tv promo but I had it with the horrible tv and Internet reception I get from Shaw.

Seems like Telus is slightly better price and Internet with things like a Netflix app so non smart tvs can still access it (handy for the bedroom tv)
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #344
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Been a shaw customer for 13 years (ever since I moved on my own) and pulling the plug this weekend to go to Telus. Pissed I missed the 50" smart tv promo but I had it with the horrible tv and Internet reception I get from Shaw.

Seems like Telus is slightly better price and Internet with things like a Netflix app so non smart tvs can still access it (handy for the bedroom tv)
You are the first person I have heard of who is switching to Telus with Shaw's current offering
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #345
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
You are the first person I have heard of who is switching to Telus with Shaw's current offering
"slightly better price".....not sure if serious?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #346
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
"slightly better price".....not sure if serious?
I assume you quoted the wrong post.....

But if so I also wrinkled my forehead with the slightly better price and internet comment. Two things I would not associate with Telus over shaw (Currently)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 AM   #347
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I assume you quoted the wrong post.....

But if so I also wrinkled my forehead with the slightly better price and internet comment. Two things I would not associate with Telus over shaw (Currently)
Yah my bad. I was dog piling
Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #348
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am switching to Telus from Shaw due to better price actually....my Shaw promos ended so now I am paying $135/mo for basic plus sports, 2 cable boxes (one is pvr) and internet....now for the same internet and tv (basic plus sports) with Telus I will be paying $69/mo for first 6 months then $110 afterwards -downside is 2 year contract.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #349
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

whoops wrong thread..

Last edited by oilyfan; 07-26-2016 at 12:29 PM.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #350
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having trouble with the Free range Tv app today?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #351
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction with a few settings issues I am having with the Hitron.

Wired connection is showing 150/15. No probs there.

Wifi on the other hand ranges from 8-40 DL but a consistent 14/15 upload on the 2.4/5.0GHz bands. Does anyone know what setting I should look into to tweak/fix the DL speeds? The first time I speed tested via the speed test app on 5.0GHz on my iphone, I was getting 150/15, but via browser, speed test sites were showing 50-60/15 which I was ok with. But after I started tinkering with the settings, my download speeds have been unstable. I even reset the modem to default and my DL speeds are still all over the place. Upload is fine at about 12-15. The fact UL is ok almost seems like it's not a interference issue, but I could be wrong.

Just want to see what else I can look into myself before calling tech support.
Changing the channel on the wifi may help you. You can use a wifi analyser to assist in your decision.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-4066
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...r/9nblggh33n0n
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en

I highly recommend using the 5 GHz band it's better in busy wifi locations. Also testing right next to the modem will test your wifi device's capabilities since the distance is short. If it's slow there then your device maybe the cause of your issues. You want to be running 802.11 AC to get full speeds and older devices on the same band will slow your other devices.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #352
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

is anyone else down
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #353
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
Changing the channel on the wifi may help you. You can use a wifi analyser to assist in your decision.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-4066
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...r/9nblggh33n0n
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en

I highly recommend using the 5 GHz band it's better in busy wifi locations. Also testing right next to the modem will test your wifi device's capabilities since the distance is short. If it's slow there then your device maybe the cause of your issues. You want to be running 802.11 AC to get full speeds and older devices on the same band will slow your other devices.
I had already resolved this for a little bit already. It was a hardware limitation on my older iphone and ipad mini.

Furthermore, my laptops wireless cards are not 5GHz compatible and thus gets lower speeds on 2.4GHz bands.

I splurged a little, got some newer tech and it crushes out 170/16 no probs.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #354
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking to purchase the Shaw Gateway along with 2 portals for my new house setup. Shaw is selling the equipment for over $600 brand new, but there is tons of used stuff on Kijiji for ~$100-150.

Anything that I should watch out for?

Appreciate the advice.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #355
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
I'm looking to purchase the Shaw Gateway along with 2 portals for my new house setup. Shaw is selling the equipment for over $600 brand new, but there is tons of used stuff on Kijiji for ~$100-150.

Anything that I should watch out for?

Appreciate the advice.
When buying the PVR(s) make sure you give Shaw a quick call and read them the serial number of each unit. They'll need to know it eventually anyway but calling then you can make sure it isn't stolen, is actually registered in the sellers name etc.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #356
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I recall an acquaintance working at Shaw saying new, way better equipment was coming soon. I might hold off, or for sure go used.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #357
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did a little research and discovered that two models of the Shaw Gateway currently exist. The older Arris MG5225 or the newer XG1. Both are currently being used by Shaw customers and you can find both on Kijiji. The XG1 is sleeker and might be a little faster. I haven't been able to find out too much but I think I'll try to find one of those.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #358
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new one is absolutely faster. I have the older one and browsing the menus can be really frustrating. My brother has the new one and it's much smoother. I also didn't know there was 2 models until I was using his.

I was considering upgrading but if what Bill says is true, I'll wait it out a bit more.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #359
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The other nice thing about the XG1 is that it serves as a portal as well, so you can connect the base directly to a TV.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #360
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The other nice thing about the XG1 is that it serves as a portal as well, so you can connect the base directly to a TV.
So if I had 3 TV's all over the house, I would just need 1 XG1 and then two additional portals? Am I understanding that correctly?