Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #221
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looks like Wind released their new holiday plans.
Nothing different from their existing $25/40 plans other than they're basically bundling some extra features like Voicemail ($8), MMS ($10) and various other things into the plan.

On a Wind-related note, I noticed their "Savings calculator" and was curious what would happen if I made such that Wind's plan+add ons would end up costing me more in the end and this was the result:

Compared to Bell's $50 Fab10 promo plan.

Naturally the only reason is because tethering ($10) was included but even then it's quite funny to see them ask you make sure you're inputting the right monthly cost.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #222
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You use 90 mb of data per month?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #223
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
You use 90 mb of data per month?
Actually closer to 4GBs but to keep things fair, I changed the data to be under 100mb that the $50 bell plan offers.

Although not too long ago I was trying to be frugal with 100mb a month...

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #224
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those holiday plans from Wind are good.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #225
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Two months ago reception in Cross Iron Mills was strictly 'Wind Away.' Now it is 'Wind Home' and 'Wind Away' approximately 50/50. ^_^
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #226
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
The Galaxy Note 2 is here, going for $750 - more or less inline with Telus. Serious money for a mobile device but I am still sorely tempted to get one, and I just might do that in a few weeks.
Last August Wind refused to sell me a Galaxy S3 because the phones were reserved for Windtab customers, so I bought instead a Huawei Ascend P1. This month Wind refused to sell me a Galaxy note 2 because the phones are reserved for Windtab customers, so I bought instead a Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL. I am disappointed because I have been a loyal Wind customer and have been promoting Wind whenever I could. On the other hand, I am happy because my two Huawei turned out to be excellent and dependable handsets - especially the D1 Quad XL. I am planning to buy the D2 when it is available and when Wind Mobile is willing to sell one to me. What can I say - I AM a gadget freak!
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #227
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So between reading this forum and looking over Wind's website moving over wouldn't be the best option for me as I live in Okotoks? I didn't see, but are there any plans from Wind that would cover using the phone outside Calgary or Edmonton instead of paying $.20/min roaming fee?
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #228
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
So between reading this forum and looking over Wind's website moving over wouldn't be the best option for me as I live in Okotoks? I didn't see, but are there any plans from Wind that would cover using the phone outside Calgary or Edmonton instead of paying $.20/min roaming fee?
Nope. Wind would not work for you.

or anyone else in parasitic communities.... hehe sorry i couldn't hold back.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #229
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Having recently moved to Wind I am pleased to report that I had excellent coverage in the Saddledome for the game last night. I could never say that of Bell. In at least one popular location Wind provided me with superior coverage.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #230
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

To be fair, in the past I had issues in the Dome getting text messages to go through on Bell. Last night I had no issues streaming the football game to my phone.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #231
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's that time of year again....Carriers are offering back to school promos and Wind has a terrific one.

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/un...utmk=202141073

$33/mth for unlimited talk/text/data, voicemail and call display, super cheap overseas calling, and free global text. Just terrific.

My advice would be to buy a Nexus 4 from Google Play ($309 for 8GB, $359 for 16GB) and swap the SIM (for free).

The only compromise here is that you're locked to HPSA+ instead of LTE, limiting your download speeds to a mere 7Mbps.....tough life.

I realize that I'm already tagged as a Wind-Booster, but it's with great reason. My two years of reliable and problem free service are worth crowing about.

This is a great setup for anyone that spends the majority of their time in the city/area.

Edit: Just spoke with a Wind service rep. Voicemail is not included with the plan and is $8/mth, my bad.

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 08-24-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Made an error.....Voicemail not included
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #232
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a friendly reminder than you can pick up a 16GB Nexus 4 from Koodo (Bestbuy) for $300.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #233
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
It's that time of year again....Carriers are offering back to school promos and Wind has a terrific one.

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/un...utmk=202141073

$33/mth for unlimited talk/text/data, voicemail and call display, super cheap overseas calling, and free global text. Just terrific.

My advice would be to buy a Nexus 4 from Google Play ($309 for 8GB, $359 for 16GB) and swap the SIM (for free).

The only compromise here is that you're locked to HPSA+ instead of LTE, limiting your download speeds to a mere 7Mbps.....tough life.

I realize that I'm already tagged as a Wind-Booster, but it's with great reason. My two years of reliable and problem free service are worth crowing about.

This is a great setup for anyone that spends the majority of their time in the city/area.

Edit: Just spoke with a Wind service rep. Voicemail is not included with the plan and is $8/mth, my bad.
I brought my Nexus 4 in and got the $30/month plan, then used my $10 monthly credit to get voicemail for free essentially.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #234
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Just a friendly reminder than you can pick up a 16GB Nexus 4 from Koodo (Bestbuy) for $300.
Have you done this? And does the Nexus come unlocked as well?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #235
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Have you done this? And does the Nexus come unlocked as well?
Yup, just last night and all Nexus do come unlocked. Not that I needed to check but I had my Bell sim in there for some quick data usage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #236
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I brought my Nexus 4 in and got the $30/month plan, then used my $10 monthly credit to get voicemail for free essentially.
Voicemail is an add-on for WIND?
$10 a month?

Granted for me voicemail isn't a priority except for the half a dozen times a year when it comes in handy.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #237
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voicemail is typically included with their plans which is why I was surprised to find it was an extra on this one.

In this case adding $8 for voicemail pushes the total cost to $41/mth for unlimited everything and a swack of good long distance and international perks. Having to pay for voicemail just takes this plan from 'Amazing' to 'Really Good' and it's still a great option for anyone looking to switch plans/providers.

I doubt we see an offering like this (from any of the value providers) again until Christmas, which is when they typically offer everything plus the kitchen sink for a silly low price.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #238
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Yup, just last night and all Nexus do come unlocked. Not that I needed to check but I had my Bell sim in there for some quick data usage.
I did a quick check of other threads (like the Nexus thread) for more details but didn't find anything.

Is this just buying the phone outright without getting any kind of Koodo plan? Does the phone still run vanilla Android or is there "Koodo Stuff" installed as well?

I'd love to cancel my 8GB Google Play order, buy the 16GB, and throw my Wind SIM in there. Great opportunity!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #239
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Is this just buying the phone outright without getting any kind of Koodo plan? Does the phone still run vanilla Android or is there "Koodo Stuff" installed as well?
I'm curious about this as well, because as far as I can see it requires you to sign up with a Koodo plan (not just pre-paid.) Even signing up for their cheapest plan and cancelling after a month brings it up to $330. Still cheaper, but then factoring in the "pain in the butt" factor of going in, lying, setting up a plan and cancelling.......
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #240
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did a quick check of other threads (like the Nexus thread) for more details but didn't find anything.

I'd love to cancel my 8GB Google Play order, buy the 16GB, and throw my Wind SIM in there. Great opportunity!

No bloat or anything whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'm curious about this as well, because as far as I can see it requires you to sign up with a Koodo plan (not just pre-paid.) Even signing up for their cheapest plan and cancelling after a month brings it up to $330. Still cheaper, but then factoring in the "pain in the butt" factor of going in, lying, setting up a plan and cancelling.......
I'm assuming that a Koodo kiosk will force you to sign up month to month but if you're going into a 3rd party like Bestbuy, you're more likely to not run into any issues with buying outright (still a bit of YMMV). Generally the only consistent policy is they'll refuse outright sales for newly released phones. At the very least Westhill's Bestbuy is where I went and the only place I can say with certainty about getting the Nexus 4 without a hitch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post: