Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #41
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Soccer has Euro and the World Cup. Why don't we? Figure it out.
Because the NHL won't take the necessary steps or struggles to grow a tournament. They want the big bucks now. They wanted a cash grab in 2016, thus the TNA U23 and Europe team. They didn't Switzerland or Slovakia in it.

Also, they're fighting with the IIHF and the IOC. The NHL poo poo's on the World Championships every year.

Soccer had it's struggles in the early days. The World Cup was interrupted by WWII after 3 editions then hosted in Brazil 1950 to give time for Europe to rebuild. Everything from the World Cup to Euros to Champions League started small and even risked collapsing before it grew to the heights that it is now.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-18-2019 at 10:35 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
That’s true. I think it’s a way for the NHL to offer more options to NBC to extract what they both want from the IOC. I think it’s probably unlikely & an idle threat. The World Cup in 2016 wasn’t the monolith money maker the NHL thought it could be.
Speculation;

I wonder if this might be a way to find a compromise: Let the NHL run the tournament parallel to the Olympics, in the NA, and make it a part of the Olympics (meaning the winner gets crowned Olympic gold medalists etc.)

There's been talk about splitting up the overgrown Olympics anyway. At least in theory everybody could get what they want. IOC, NHL and NHLPA could split the revenue, the tournament gets a huge publicity boost from the Olympic brand, players would get to play for Olympic medals, and NHL gets to showcase itself and run games in prime time in the NA.

This would allow the IOC to explain to other sports why hockey is an exception. They could pass this off as a unique experiment at least once or twice.

Last edited by Itse; 01-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #43
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

but isn't the point to have NHLers IN CHINA to get into the Chinese market?

Having the Beijing Olympics hockey tournament in Toronto would defeat this purpose.

If the NHL truly wants to get into the Asian market they have to give them a carrot. That carrot is a spot in the World Cup, which unfortunately is a dead tournament.

Make the Hockey World Cup every 4 years with 12 teams and 1 automatic Asian berth. Japan, Korea and China would invest in their program to fight for this prized berth.

And yes they would get killed the first 5 editions but eventually with the money they have (and returned from the tournament), they would produce an NHLer or two and that's how to get into that market.
If Son Heung-Min was a Calgary Flame instead of a Tottenham Hotspur, Flames games would be shown live in Korea.

The NHL doesn't want to invest in future. They want to grind out every dollar from us as possible, and then fight over that dollar in CBA negotiations.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-18-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #44
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't follow much of the player/league contract talks as as I just don't care about that type of stuff so I don't know many of the intricate details that currently exist.

That being said, how hard would it actually be at this point for the NHL and players to put together a 2020 world cup? They still have 20 months to get this running. I would think 20 months would be more than enough time. Also, what has the committee been doing since the last world cup? Have they worked on 2020 at all?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #45
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default No 2020 World Cup of Hockey -- joint statements from NHL/NHLPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't follow much of the player/league contract talks as as I just don't care about that type of stuff so I don't know many of the intricate details that currently exist.

That being said, how hard would it actually be at this point for the NHL and players to put together a 2020 world cup? They still have 20 months to get this running. I would think 20 months would be more than enough time. Also, what has the committee been doing since the last world cup? Have they worked on 2020 at all?

Listening to John Shannon yesterday, the NHL asked if the PA would agree not to opt out of the CBA early - which if they did would happen right after the World Cup’s scheduled time.

NHLPA went away and talked about it, but couldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t opt out.

That’s why it isn’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #46
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

CBA grandstanding.