Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #121
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on this season the only way the Flames can dump Stone is via buyout or taking money back.

Lots of teams have bad contracts we can’t assume our bad deals can be moved without accepting money in return. This team could be in serious cap trouble next year which could make fitting it all in challenging.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #122
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Flames have had the best D pairing basically for the last 5 years. 3 years it was Brodie and Gio and 2 years it was Dougie and Gio. If Gio is the constant there is a decent shot that Gio-Hamonic or Gio-Hanifin would also be the best pair in the nhl next year.
That is simply not true. Gio-Brodie was great one year and really good another (but nowhere near best in the league). There were a few people saying that Gio-Hamilton was it last year, but they simply weren't. They may have had some stats that looked good, but they weren't shutting teams down the way a top pairing should.

Giordano had 38 points and was a +/- 0. Hamilton had 44 points and was a +1.

This year Gio and Brodie have almost that many points already, and are a combined +68. They are the backbone of a great team.

There is no comparison.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #123
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think this is accurate.

I posted this in another thread but kylington right now is the defacto #7.

When healthy this is the group, in order:

Gio-Brodie
hamonic-hanifin
Valimaki-andersson
Kylington-Stone
Prout-valiev

If you come back with the same group next year, kylington is still going to get games due to injury or Peters shakeup.

Stone has to move on though to sign Tkachuk. He just can't be in the organization at that salary. It completely negated the advantage of having valimaki and Andersson on ELCs.

So either he goes at the deadline or the draft, but if he is cleared by doctors this week, he might be gone by next.

No question on Stone, he has to move...

But do you really think keeping Kylington as a #7 for spot duty is beneficial to his development? After seeing that he can be effective at the NHL, and watching him progress rapidly in the games he is getting, if we were to block his development next year, I would see him asking for a trade
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #124
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
No question on Stone, he has to move...

But do you really think keeping Kylington as a #7 for spot duty is beneficial to his development? After seeing that he can be effective at the NHL, and watching him progress rapidly in the games he is getting, if we were to block his development next year, I would see him asking for a trade
Yeah, I think rotating in and out of the lineup is good for him to bring him along.

He's clearly worse than valimaki and Andersson right now, but he could very well challenge one or the other in camp next year.

But more importantly, the flames are in a position to win it all right now. Making sure kylington develops optimally is less important than seeing the team win.

I'm less concerned about finding spots at the bottom of the roster right now than I am about the top end.

If Brodie struggles next year and one of the other 4 youngsters really takes a step forward, sure, look at making a space and getting settled value for Brodie, but otherwise win a cup and let him walk and sign a 7x7 deal somewhere else.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #125
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Flames have had the best D pairing basically for the last 5 years. 3 years it was Brodie and Gio and 2 years it was Dougie and Gio. If Gio is the constant there is a decent shot that Gio-Hamonic or Gio-Hanifin would also be the best pair in the nhl next year.
Stats From 2014-2016 While Paired

Brodie

2014-2015 CGY 81 11 30 41
2015-2016 CGY 70 6 39 45

Gio:
2014-2015 CGY 61 11 37 48
2015-2016 CGY 82 21 35 56

Stats from 2016-2018 when not paired:

Brodie:

2016-2017 CGY 82 6 30 36
2017-2018 CGY 73 4 28 32

Gio:

2016-17 CGY 81 12 27 39
2017-18 CGY 82 13 25 38

That's not mentioning the year they are having, and the fact that Brodie and Gio were mostly even in Ice Time, although for three of the years TJ had more than any other Flame.

They mesh well together. They are elite together. Let them do their thing and win far into the season in not 'All' for the next few years. Or, maybe you don't want the Flames to have a few dynasty years for 'picks' that might be good.. But not +68 good.

I am still baffled.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #126
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or to put it another way, in the last 5 years...

Giordano:
14/15: 48 pts
15/16: 56

16/17: 39
17/18: 38
18/19: 82 (projected)

Brodie:
14/15: 41 pts
15/16: 45

16/17: 36
17/18: 32
18/19: 35 (projected)

(bold are the years they played together)

Looking at this, one could argue that Giordano missed Brodie just as much as Brodie missed Giordano. But regardless, why would anyone want to break these guys up?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #127
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
. But regardless, why would anyone want to break these guys up?
“Because I know what I’m doing!” *stick toss*.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #128
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Or to put it another way, in the last 5 years...

Giordano:
14/15: 48 pts
15/16: 56

16/17: 39
17/18: 38
18/19: 82 (projected)

Brodie:
14/15: 41 pts
15/16: 45

16/17: 36
17/18: 32
18/19: 35 (projected)

(bold are the years they played together)

Looking at this, one could argue that Giordano missed Brodie just as much as Brodie missed Giordano. But regardless, why would anyone want to break these guys up?

Note that the first 48 points for Gio was in 61 games. 65 point pace for the year.

Brodie’s 45 was in 70, I believe.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #129
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Brodie and don't "want" him to be traded, but it is a business and you can't be too sentimental.

If the Flames persist at being an elite team, cap management is going to become crucial. Yes, Hanifin makes $5 million per on a fairly long contract, but Brodie's next contract will likely be for a lot more. And the difference is, Hanifin still has his best years ahead of him. Plus, $5 million dollars in a few years will be more of a bargain.

All I know, is if it comes down to a cap crunch then someone will have to be sacrificed. I personally don't think that sending a 21 year old with the pedigree of Hanifin would be the best move, and I sure wouldn't want to send any of our top 4 forwards. I guess they could trade Giordano, but I wouldn't recommend that. Nobody is taking Neal (before someone mentions it).

In the cap world, good players need to be moved sometimes. I really don't think that Chicago wanted to trade Leddy back in the day, but it had to happen. It's just a matter of finding the least hurtful way to do it.