Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Wheelchairs for dogs

I know we have a lot of dog owners on this forum, so I’m hoping for some advice or suggestions.

Our little dog had back surgery to repair a slipped disc 7 years ago. Since the surgery, his back legs have always given him a bit of trouble, but he’s been able to get around and is as happy as can be. Especially during the winter, it seems his back issues flare up and we do our best to help with massages or pain medication.

This weekend is the worst I have seen him in quite some time and we are booked in with the vet tomorrow. We are bracing for the worst, but our hopes are we can get him back on track with medicine and rest. However, I am wondering if anyone has any experience having their dog in a wheelchair. It appears you can rent them and there are many brands on amazon. I’m just hoping to give our little buddy some relief, whether it be short term or longer term.

I guess another question is has anyone had good experience with doggy physiotherapy?

Thanks in advance!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The check up at the vet went as expected and our pup is doing pretty well on anti-inflammatories and pain medicine in the short term.

New question...anyone here have an elderly dog on pain meds or anti-inflammatories for an extended amount of time? I know he can’t take metacam for more than a few weeks, but would be interested on some other options to see if we are just fighting arthritis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our 10yo Lab gets a fish oil pill and glucosamine chew 2x per day. I'd say they both help for sure, despite my scepticism. The fish oil pill definitely makes her coat healthier and the glucosamine seems to have lessened her stiffness and limping after long / hard plays. We are certainly trying to take it a bit easier on her as she gets older, but they seem to be worth it.

Iggy had her back knee ACL repaired and she shows no signs of the injury 2 years later.

It's also key, just like people, to keep their weight down. Helps alot.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend at work has a 12 year old Golden. She has been on Nsaid's for just over a year. They are losing their effectiveness and last night the dog fell down the stairs .

They are going to try CBD for dogs, but if that doesn't help, it's time for them to make that tough decision. They live in a raised ranch and there is no way for the dog to be able to avoid any stairs.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've got a dog and a cat on CBD oil.

The cat has arthritis and it's made a huge difference since she's been on the 'small breed' bottle.

My dog had knee surgery maybe 3 years ago and is on the 'medium breed' bottle. I haven't noticed an improvement so I might have to up the dose.

She also had physiotherapy for a couple months after the surgery. It improved her range of motion but didn't seem to help with the pain.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the replies!

For those using cbd oil, would you mind saying which product you are using and where you have found it? That is definitely another option we will try.

He has shown huge progress, as usual, on the meds so far. His back legs are still knuckling a bit, but he is in a very good mood and is not showing any signs of pain. I’m hoping he just had a flare up and is able to rest up and heal.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

CBD 4 Paws

https://cbd4paws.ca/

Best of luck!
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Perfect, thanks so much!

Does anyone know if I can get the cbd oil in pet stores in Calgary? We live out on an acreage and getting mail is always a bit sketchy...haha.

Last edited by bagofpucks; 11-08-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear about your pet!

I'm also sorry that legalization has taken away the opportunity for a "but officer it's for my dog, he has arthritis!" joke.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not coming in here to crap on the CBD oils as I'm not involved in animal health whatsoever, but my girlfriend is and she has said to be careful. The oils are currently unregulated and vets arent allowed to prescribe them yet. Marijuana itself is toxic in dogs, so just be careful with CBD as well. If it makes your furry ones happier and healthier, all the better!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My senior dog (13.33Yrs) has been on Metacam for about two years now. Vet insists on annual blood test to monitor the negative effects
para transit fellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sucky timing. I *just* gave away a wheelchair a few weeks ago that had been sitting in my closet since I first tried togive it away at the beginning of the year, then forgot about it

My dog, now 8, blew both his back knees out, each requiring surgery about 18mths apart (I guess in smaller dogs, if one goes out, the other is more likely to, as opposed to with big dogs where its often trauma that just blows one out--or something like that, I cant recall exactly what the vet said)

Anyway, he also has bad hips, and for a while he would be struggling to walk, before taking into account slopes or steps. Add those in, and he was having a rough go. And then there were constant setbacks where just flying after a bird he'd be limping for days and i would feared he had done something to his hips or knees again

so I bought him a wheelchair to try and aid in rehab, because walking and going to the park is his entire world. I thought it might slow him down, stabilize him, I dont know. But it didnt work (lol) he wanted nothing to do with it and it just became an exercise in frustration and gave up last fall. it was a probably a rash purchase, to be honest

He's is now on Metacam and Tramadol when needed, and an injection i give him once a month (forget the name). But what I think has made the biggest difference is no offleash parks, no stairs (not even a sidewalk curb) and we try to avoid hills. Granted, he doesnt have spine problems.

Funnily--WORST DAD JOKE INCOMING--he name is Wendel and so carrying him up the stairs has become known as the Wendelevator and if you go by my niece, i will never make a funnier joke again in my life. I have peaked.

anyway, good luck. I was really looking to give the wheelchair to someone who needed it
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #13
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Perfect, thanks so much!

Does anyone know if I can get the cbd oil in pet stores in Calgary? We live out on an acreage and getting mail is always a bit sketchy...haha.
Dexters in Ogden rd carries 3 different strengths. Currently I am giving my guy “Mota” brand and he is tolerating it well. My friend had a lead on some oils marketed towards equestrian use, but my dog is so large I might be able to reduce the dosage accordingly. Once I can confirm it, I’ll let you know. Should work out to about half the price of pet specific stuff.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #14
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

4 days in and we are still seeing progress on the meds. Our plan is to keep him on the metacam for the week and then see how he does on just the tramadol. Also going to look into cbd oils and see if we can move him on to that.

My policy has always been that if an animal is in obvious pain and can’t eat or go to the bathroom themselves then it is time for the hard decision. Our pup is still eating well and going outside, so I do think it is just trying to help him manage his pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wanted to give a bit of an update on this as it has been a while.

Luckily, our little guy bounced back pretty good on the metacam and was only in it for two weeks. We still haven’t tried him on CBD oil as he has been moving really well. Hopefully, it was just some aches and pains with the weather and he is a bit of a drama king.

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback in this thread!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #16
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So the guy named “Sr. Mints” apologized for the Wendelevator?

Was expected, apology and, dare I say, punishment not required.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote