Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #221
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tyler Parsons with terrific game last night for Stockton at the Teddy Bear Toss home game. Sets single game save record!

Parsons Sets Heat Single-Game Saves Record in 4-2 Win

STOCKTON, Calif. – Behind a team-record 49 saves from Tyler Parsons, the Stockton Heat held off the visiting Texas Stars en route to a 4-2 win Saturday night at Stockton Arena...

https://stocktonheat.com/news/parson...rd-in-4-2-win/

Several ten bell saves to hold off Texas on the game highlights.

https://stocktonheat.com/news/highli...-4-vs-texas-2/

Patience needed with this kid. He still is a gamer. Wont be surprised at all if he is backing up Rittich within 2 seasons. As long as he can stay healthy.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #222
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parsons Postgame - Jan. 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=k3RYz5E3sqo
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #223
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Tyler Parsons with terrific game last night for Stockton at the Teddy Bear Toss home game. Sets single game save record!

Parsons Sets Heat Single-Game Saves Record in 4-2 Win

STOCKTON, Calif. – Behind a team-record 49 saves from Tyler Parsons, the Stockton Heat held off the visiting Texas Stars en route to a 4-2 win Saturday night at Stockton Arena...

https://stocktonheat.com/news/parson...rd-in-4-2-win/

Several ten bell saves to hold off Texas on the game highlights.

https://stocktonheat.com/news/highli...-4-vs-texas-2/

Patience needed with this kid. He still is a gamer. Wont be surprised at all if he is backing up Rittich within 2 seasons. As long as he can stay healthy.
I was a huge Rittich fan in the minors and I see a lot of the very same aspects in Tyler Parsons - positioning, clutchness, mobility, heart. I think there is #1 upside in this kid. Health is the big question mark, both physical amd mental.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #224
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Was at the Stockton game last night and spent a lot of time watching Parson’s play. The guy is tiny, when he’s in position his smaller size opens up a huge portion of the net. Made the 2nd goal that much harder for him to save even though there was no screen. He tracks the puck well even when screened (Texas had what felt like 10 power plays) and is pretty quick laterally, but his rebound control was pretty bad. While AHLers couldn’t convert on those chances, he would get lit up in the NHL until he cleans that up.

It’s 1 game but that’s what I walked away with.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rage2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #225
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I've been pretty sour on Gillies and Parsons recently.

However, the thing that gives me the most hope is both how good Rittich is doing now at 26, and Brossoit with the Jets at 25 (almost 26) after years of looking like a nothing goalie. Brossoit is 10-1-1 this season, 0.943%

Goalies still take until their mid 20s to figure things out at the NHL level. The Matt Murray archetype is a unicorn.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #226
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
Was at the Stockton game last night and spent a lot of time watching Parson’s play. The guy is tiny, when he’s in position his smaller size opens up a huge portion of the net. Made the 2nd goal that much harder for him to save even though there was no screen. He tracks the puck well even when screened (Texas had what felt like 10 power plays) and is pretty quick laterally, but his rebound control was pretty bad. While AHLers couldn’t convert on those chances, he would get lit up in the NHL until he cleans that up.

It’s 1 game but that’s what I walked away with.
Size is overrated. Guys like Halak, Quick, Lundqvist, and Thomas have been some of the best goalies of the last decade. Guys like Saros and Raanta are smaller and seem to be doing just fine. The days of the 6'6" goalies who rely on covering the net are waning especially with changes to equipment size taking away that advantage. Parsons is about the same size as Kiprusoff, anyways.

As for rebound control I wouldn't read a whole lot into a one game sample of a 21yo goalie.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #227
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe it’s how low he plays, but he looks way smaller than Lundqvist and Quick in net up close (the only other goalies on your list I’ve had a chance to see up close). It also didn’t help when he stood beside Gilles between plays haha.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #228
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
Maybe it’s how low he plays, but he looks way smaller than Lundqvist and Quick in net up close (the only other goalies on your list I’ve had a chance to see up close). It also didn’t help when he stood beside Gilles between plays haha.
He does seem to play a bit shorter than his height. Not sure if he is leaning forward a bit with his net posture.

Terrific quick lateral movement and never gives up on a puck. Wonder if those quick extensions have played a role in his frequent injuries.

His biggest intangible in his compete level though (WJC gold and Memorial Cup).
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #229
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Size is overrated. Guys like Halak, Quick, Lundqvist, and Thomas have been some of the best goalies of the last decade. Guys like Saros and Raanta are smaller and seem to be doing just fine. The days of the 6'6" goalies who rely on covering the net are waning especially with changes to equipment size taking away that advantage. Parsons is about the same size as Kiprusoff, anyways.

As for rebound control I wouldn't read a whole lot into a one game sample of a 21yo goalie.
Absolutely agree. It's not just the goaltending, there were times when guys like Gaudreau or St. Luis would have no chance making it. But as the game gets faster and more skill-based, demands for goalies are going to be able to match the speed of the game and size is not going to help you in that regard. Count in the equipment change, I think it actually hurts the big guys more, because their game is based on cutting angles and percentages, while smaller goalies have to rely on quickness, athleticism and anticipation, so they can benefit more from the weight loss of equipment.

Last edited by gamesaver; 01-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamesaver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #230
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While being a diehard Rittich fan, I still think Parsons is the goalie of the future. Rittich may be a stop gap before he can break in but that time may be closer than we think, I mean look at what Hart has been doing for Flyers since called up.

When you watch Parsons and you know a thing or two about goaltending, you can't help yourself but be amazed at the speed of his movement. I mean all of it, not just the post to post transition, he just moves incredibly fast. I can see some shades of Jonathan Quick when watching him. Really hope he is not gonna get down the road of being injury prone as him. I could live with that if he's going to deliver us two cups before that though.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #231
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really love Parsons as a prospect. I also really liked Brossoit as a prospect, and hated to see him go to Edmonton.

Gillies I have never been really enamoured with. I don't know what the ceiling on Gillies is, but I am thinking he can eventually become a decent backup or even a 1B type.

Parsons (and to a lesser degree, Brossoit) have always seemed to have that 'it' factor where they make those big critical stops at crucial times. Sure, there are lulls through a season, and their are growing pains and times where he has had to battle through injuries, but Parsons seems like a real gamer to me. Kipprusoff was so good because he would never give up on a puck. Hasek (arguably the best ever) would never give up on a puck. Parsons has that. Flames need to be patient, but it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a superstar.

The other guy I like in the system is Schneider. He seems to have that in his game as well, though I think his development is going to take a bit longer.

I wouldn't cut bait with any goalie in the system right now - McDonald included - as you never really know if or when they just solidify their game and suddenly become NHL-starter material.

I am just a huge fan of Parsons, and I think with Valimaki and Kylington somewhat 'graduated' in my eyes, he is the undisputed top prospect for Calgary right now. Might have been this past summer.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #232
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies are voodoo. It can take years and years of development for some guys before it ever clicks. If it clicks at all. By then, the guy could be on his third team.

That said, you can’t help but like the tools Parsons has. Still holding out hope that Gillies can be a bit of a late bloomer but this year is obviously a big step back for him.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #233
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stood beside Parsons at one of the rookie camps while he was signing autographs-I'm 6 feet tall, and he was an inch or two taller than me. Size isn't an issue with him IMO.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #234
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary4Life, Out of thanks but completely agree with you about Parsons, Brossoit and Gillies. Dube may have the upper hand on the prospect rankings right now though.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #235
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I've been pretty sour on Gillies and Parsons recently.

However, the thing that gives me the most hope is both how good Rittich is doing now at 26, and Brossoit with the Jets at 25 (almost 26) after years of looking like a nothing goalie. Brossoit is 10-1-1 this season, 0.943%

Goalies still take until their mid 20s to figure things out at the NHL level. The Matt Murray archetype is a unicorn.
Still don't like that we traded Brossoit . Chances are he may have never had turned into what je is now but I hated that trade feom the start.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #236
Andrew
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Look at Jordan binnington. How many years he play in the minors doing fine in small aample
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #237
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Absolutely agree. It's not just the goaltending, there were times when guys like Gaudreau or St. Luis would have no chance making it. But as the game gets faster and more skill-based, demands for goalies are going to be able to match the speed of the game and size is not going to help you in that regard. Count in the equipment change, I think it actually hurts the big guys more, because their game is based on cutting angles and percentages, while smaller goalies have to rely on quickness, athleticism and anticipation, so they can benefit more from the weight loss of equipment.
The old equipment rules 100% favored large goalies. The bigger frame you had, the bigger the equipment you could wear.

Parsons is listed at 6'1'', but there's absolutely no way that's true. Here he is beside former teammate Mitch Marner:

I'm really loving the impact of the equipment changes so far. It's great seeing snipers being able to pick spots over a goalies shoulder or between their body and arms. You don't have to totally screen a goalie to score anymore. Would love it if they brought in the equipment even further. Goalies needing pads to extend beyond their bodies for safety reasons is BS.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #238
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't that picture from 3 years ago?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #239
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Isn't that picture from 3 years ago?
2 years ago. I doubt Tyler Parsons who had full stubble in the picture has grown in height at all since that picture was taken. If anything Mitch Marner might have grown a bit.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #240
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And maybe Marner is wearing shoes and Parsons isn't (or vice versa). You can't tell anything from a picture like that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: