Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #421
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Score flattered the Oilers big time, Koskinen (SP?) bailed them out lots.

For the most part except on the power play the Oilers didn't have a lot of offensive zone time. They looked like the tired team playing its third game in four nights.

And lets not fool ourselves, Hitch has to say that Connor was the bestest player on the ice because the poor lad is probably mentally fragile at this point of the year. Honestly the Flames did a great job of shutting down the Oilers only good player.

The Oiler hope that when Klefbom returns or Sekera returns that they'll bolter into the playoffs is just fooling themselves.
I hope they make the playoffs and face us. We'll squish the crap out of McDoofus, and the rest of their team is useless.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #422
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
THIS is the title of the next instalment of the E=NG thread!
There's so many good options but this one is great
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #423
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
The "average GM" comment was the one that bothered me most too.

Had an interesting exchange with a colleague in Edmonton about 3 years ago. He lauded the generational talent of McD while I lauded the amazing work ethic of BT.

Wondered which going to be more important then, I think last night answered the question definitively!
I love Brad Treliving because he is not afraid to take risks and make mistakes to improve his team. He does make mistakes, but he is willing to admit and correct them and you also always know Treliving is scanning the face of the whole earth to find ways to improve the team and a lot of his bets will pay off, some of them in huge ways.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #424
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I hope they make the playoffs and face us. We'll squish the crap out of McDoofus, and the rest of their team is useless.
nah. Trade the 1st, miss the playoffs by a point and then the pick wins the lottery. That's what they deserve after making a mock of the league's draft system and then lucking out to get McDavid. Screw that franchise and their playoff hopes.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #425
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubistcastle View Post
Why is that fanbase so violent? Always screaming for the Oilers to injure our players.
Well in fairness Tkachuk did hold McDavids legs gently once when they were both on the laying on the ground.

It’s actually the definition of fake news and I can’t believed it worked. The Edmonton media somehow managed to create a fake storyline of McDavid getting beat up around the league (and somehow made Tkachuk antagonist number one cause he held his legs) and the fan base and national media just jumped on board somehow.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 01-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #426
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather face a throwaway team like the Wild in the first round. The next three rounds are gonna be a dogfight with San Jose/Vegas, then Winnipeg/Nashville, then Tampa/Pittsburgh/Boston so I'd rather the first round not be emotionally or physically draining.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #427
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers are a throwaway team.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #428
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Around the League Report

Spoiler!
I had no idea so many Oil fans lived out in Penticton!
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #429
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers are a throwaway team.
They're a primary rival with a bunch of goons and the best player in the world who can steal a game or two. A six game series with punks like Kassian, Nurse, Manning, and Lucic taking runs would be a waste of energy and result in an injury. They're not very good but it'd be better to face the Avs, Wild or Stars than the Oilers or Ducks in round 1. JMO.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #430
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Fan on CHED just noted that the future is players like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and Bouchard and things will get better, sometime... somewhere.

Oh wait, did I say fan? I meant stealth Oilers PR person phoning in to slowly build the groundwork for the next version of the rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
caller on CHED says something special is happening up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Hahahahaha Oilers fan on CHED saying the 3rd spot is still possible. Too funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Dude on Ched says the Oilers are making the playoffs.

Cool story bro.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #431
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chia should have been taking notes when Burke was discussing what GMs do at the trade deadline. Call each team? So that’s what I’ve been doing wrong!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #432
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
They're a primary rival with a bunch of goons and the best player in the world who can steal a game or two. A six game series with punks like Kassian, Nurse, Manning, and Lucic taking runs would be a waste of energy and result in an injury. They're not very good but it'd be better to face the Avs, Wild or Stars than the Oilers or Ducks in round 1. JMO.
Their "thugs" are useless. Manning got killed last night, he's an utter bonehead. Kassian is on the fourth line for a reason, the three missing links can't skate at all, the Flames could do three line changes in the time it takes the Oilers morons to make it to the neutral zone - the Flames actually did a whole line change in the time it took the McDavid line to regroup in the neutral zone last night.

Their whole d-man lineup's best ability is standing around looking at opposing players. Who the hell does blind backhand passes in the d-zone??? Oh right, Oilers players.

The Oilers are no good.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #433
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #434
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much skill and smarts exhibited in all our goals. Backlund’s goal was particularly smart - the way he read that play perfectly. Great shot too. Monahan’s goal - great pass from Chucky, Monahan softly flips his own rebound. Is there anyone better in tight than him?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #435
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

what a glorious victory. seems like it's apparent even to oilers fans now the massive difference in quality between the two teams. was encouraged to see the flames play a tight defensive game. they appeared to me to be more focused than they have been in quite some time, a good sign that they can turn it on and are ready to play however they have to play to win
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #436
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Game Takes:
Flames 5 Oilers 2

- Flames powerplay dominant
- McDavid roughed up and contained
- Flames tease the third and take it away
- Five points in three games in four nights
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #437
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

They played McDavid perfectly. No respect, in his face, kept him at the perimeter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #438
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

It’s actually the definition of fake news and I can’t believed it worked. The Edmonton media somehow managed to create a fake storyline of McDavid getting beat up around the league (and somehow made Tkachuk antagonist number one cause he held his legs) and the fan base and national media just jumped on board somehow.
It’s nuts. The best player in the world tag doesn’t get an asterisk for only when the other team lets him be. The fans and media being Mclottery’s crazy helicopter parents won’t help. It’s up to him to figure out how to beat a team no matter what happens. Otherwise he’s just another Sedin in the long list of skilled players who couldn’t clear their own path.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #439
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Favourite part was when koskinen rang his stupid post before backlund ripped it top corner.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #440
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard at the beginning of the game that Peters was stressing puck management. Well, IMO they did that really well. How many odd man rushes against? I don't recall many. And not one time did McDavid bust around a d man.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote