Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 AM   #7501
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As good as this team is, I'd feel a lot more comfortable starting the playoffs with:

Monahan
Duchene
Backlund

than

Monahan
Backlund
Janko

I'm less excited about adding a rw the more I think about it. Adding Stone would be good, but it wouldn't increase depth down the line-up as much as adding Duchene might.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #7502
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to agree that something just doesn't seem right about duchene.
I think the priority should be 1. Schenn, 2. Stone

This might sound looney but I wonder if rnh could be had
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #7503
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I have to agree that something just doesn't seem right about duchene.
I think the priority should be 1. Schenn, 2. Stone

This might sound looney but I wonder if rnh could be had
I think that Schenn should also be the #1 target. He would be ideal between Chucky and Bennett. They would have to take back Frolik though as the cap would not work(or Neal but good luck on that.

Gaudreau-Monny-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Schenn-Bennett
Jankowski-Backlund-Neal or Neal-Backlund-Doc

Seems like a much more balanced top 9. I mean is it necessary not really we have a very deep top 9 as is but man it would be lethal as such.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #7504
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Talks between Duchene camp and the Sens expected to continue this week. The range for Duchene on 8 yr term is believed to be between $65 and $75 mil. So, either in the 8’s or 9+ aav. Still ballpark discussions.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #7505
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Brooks comments on deadline deals involving goaltenders

Quote:
Even if the Blue Jackets put pending free agent Sergei Bobrovsky on the market, trading for the goaltender represents a major gamble for a contender. This has nothing to do with either his underwhelming postseason record or his breach of etiquette after being pulled from a game a couple of weeks ago, when, we’re told, he had dressed in his street clothes and had boarded the team bus before the match had even been completed.

Rather, it is history that makes a deal so dicey. Trades of marquee goaltenders proximate to the deadline are extremely rare. Ryan Miller, who went from Buffalo to St. Louis in 2014, is only example this decade, and look how that turned out with the netminder crashing and burning in a six-game first-round defeat to Chicago in which he had a .897 save percentage.

The only goaltender traded as part of pre-deadline action who made an immediate playoff impact is Dwayne Roloson, who went to the Oilers from the Wild in 2006 and led eighth-seed Edmonton to the Stanley Cup final. Kelly Hrudey did make an immediate impact after going to the Wayne Gretzky Kings from the Islanders in 1989 — winning the first round over Edmonton after Los Angeles fell behind 3-1 in the series — but that was 30 years ago and Hrudey was no rental.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/19/dont-b...rade-deadline/
Old 01-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #7506
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I want no part in Bob, I believe in BSD. Just want a competent goalie behind him. (aka not smith.)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #7507
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's something wrong with Bobrovsky. Doesn't look like a guy that can handle adversity which is not something you want in a guy that is going to be looking for a lot of money and term. I hope the Flames stay clear but I don't think he's going to want to sign in Canada anyway which is a bonus.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #7508
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Massive pass on Duchene at 9 mil. I don't know what it is but I get a DrySaddle vibe from him..........a good player but not someone who will lead the team anywhere. For 9 mil you better be pretty spectacular. Huge pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #7509
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me this team has earned the opportunity to largely go into the playoffs in tact.
Acquiring someone like Duchene is exactly the type of move that looks good on paper but could completely disrupt the chemistry of the team.
Depth moves only please.
Dance with who ya brung

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 01-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #7510
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, if they bring in whoever, it seems more than likely the current players will welcome them with open arms. And this coaching staff will have new players up to speed rather quickly.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #7511
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only big names that make sense to me are Mark Stone, Brayden Schenn, and Wayne Simmonds. Otherwise I would be happy with depth moves.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #7512
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the other hand, look how well Ville Nieminen, Chris Simon and Marcus Nilson fit in to the '04 line-up so late in the season.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #7513
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless you can get a Mark Stone or Brayden Schenn to upgrade the middle six depth, I’d stick with a bigger body who can play a regular shift to bump that Mangiapane/Czarnik spot off the lineup. A guy who has some physicality that can help wear down the opposition D in a long series and play against bigger teams like San Jose and Winnipeg.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #7514
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Treliving could somehow miraculously offload Stone and Neal’s contracts, that would be enough cap space to take on a Mark Stone or a Matt Duchene. If a sign and trade deal could be reached, I’d have no problem giving up the necessary assets to get one of these guys.

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Stone or Duchene
Frolik
Jankowski
Bennett
Ryan

A forward group like this could set us up as Stanley Cup favorites for years.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #7515
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
If Treliving could somehow miraculously offload Stone and Neal’s contracts, that would be enough cap space to take on a Mark Stone or a Matt Duchene. If a sign and trade deal could be reached, I’d have no problem giving up the necessary assets to get one of these guys.

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Stone or Duchene
Frolik
Jankowski
Bennett
Ryan

A forward group like this could set us up as Stanley Cup favorites for years.
The forward group we have could set us up as Stanley Cup favourites for years. Goal scoring is one thing we do really well, and I’m not sure using more cap space to increase that helps us long term.

I get the shiny new toy thing. But we’ve already one of the very best top 6 in the league. Why are we trying to fix it? Save the cap, focus on depth that can play a regular shift and be counted on (instead of rotating out of the lineup every 3 games).
Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #7516
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
On the other hand, look how well Ville Nieminen, Chris Simon and Marcus Nilson fit in to the '04 line-up so late in the season.
Depth or secondary scoring adds I can get behind but nothing major that is mortgaging the future. The big splash rentals at the deadline never seem to work out and shorten the teams window by giving up big assets.. it would need to be someone cheap or that we have a chance of re-signing.

Bennett has looked good as of late. Jankowski is like mini Backlund on the PK so I'm not replacing him either. Ryan looks good lately and is good on draws, Neal isn't going anywhere regardless and has looked better. PP2 almost has more dangerous puck movement than PP1 lately. Frolik has been good and you won't get much better with out moving big peices. So really we are maybe maybe looking to get a backup and a LW better than Mangipane that can rotate possibly with Bennett and McBackup.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #7517
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Something involving Frolik for Eberle is a move I could see happening along with some other bit piece moves.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #7518
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Neal starts producing points it will be like acquiring a player at the deadline

I don't feel like we should be making any huge trades, maybe depth players for tougher playoff hockey but that's about it
Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #7519
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The forward group we have could set us up as Stanley Cup favourites for years. Goal scoring is one thing we do really well, and I’m not sure using more cap space to increase that helps us long term.

I get the shiny new toy thing. But we’ve already one of the very best top 6 in the league. Why are we trying to fix it? Save the cap, focus on depth that can play a regular shift and be counted on (instead of rotating out of the lineup every 3 games).
This is about adding depth though. If you add a top liner like Duchene for instance, you get a ppg player who can dominate the opposition’s second line. The that essentially pushes Backlund and Frolik down to the 3rd line where they can dominate other 3rd lines. The Gaudreau line routinely dominates already, so that’s a given.

When it comes down to it, it’s about winning matchups and slotting. If you can win the majority of the shifts in the game, then your likelihood of winning is high.

Adding depth is fine ans dandy. But I’m in favor of paying for quality over quantity at this point. We’ve signed depth players like Raymond, Brouwer, Neal, Stone and etc and they’ve all brought very disappointing value to their contracts. I say, pay for the drivers of play instead who make other players better.

Some analyst on Sportsnet said once, that the top player’s contracts don’t kill you, it’s the middle guys that do and unfortunately, we’ve seen a lot of that here.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #7520
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the only Flames players to be moved is Lazar and maybe another farm guy. Maybe some picks.

For chemistry purposes, maybe add some 4th line depth in a big frame for a guy that could play 3rd line if need be? Sure. But Ryan isn't going anywhere, nor should Hathaway. Czarnik is perfectly fine as a 13th forward. Magiapane, meh but again, more then serviceable if you make no moves. Having a bit more presence to get through a long few months of hockey , I'm thinking like Brouwer (completely theoretical) and Maroon type experience and grit and experience. Injury replecments too, are a big thing to have eating popcorn down the stretch. And cap considerations.

Defence, with Stone back and Vallamaki, have depth there so should be fine if those guys are 100%.

Then it's goaltending, and you have to weigh the fact that if you change that, again the chemistry of the room changes without a guy like Smith, and that move to bring a new vet guy in may get an inexperienced Rittich to get a bit nervous and have his game suffer in worrying a bit more about the guy behind him and the management's and coaches overall confidence in himself. And goalies confidence is a very delicate issue at best of times.

Last edited by browna; 01-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread