Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #61
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I remember it being pretty tough. I could kick everyones ass until Tyson but I never beat him.
You just have to be good at defence; all the other guys you could essentially just hit them when they opened up and win, but Tyson you had to defend far more than you could attack. He wasn't a pushover, but you just had to adjust your fighting style radically and be very very conservative.

Of course, my reflexes are not what they once were, and freakin' Glass Joe'd probably wipe the floor with me now (although we used to see just how FAST we could take him down, and we were at less than 2 seconds (1.8 I think my brother did it) after a while.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #62
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipru View Post
Are you guys talking about Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES? I really don't see why would it be so hard, since you can save your game. I think only thing that i never found was the Chris Houlihan room. And the macig powder was useless, and the mushroom in your Inventory. Otherwise it has to be one of the best games ever made, in terms of playability and its music (Well monkey islands beat it in music).
Magic powder was excellent in dungeons, turning those spinning wheels of fire into Faeries. Free health!
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #63
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

re: Kipru and Zelda...

No, the game wasn't all that difficult. It was long. Beating the game was only half the fun. Finding everything was the other half. And I never did find the final quarter heart. 19.75 hearts.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #64
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I'll have to remember this. Usually I spent most of my time trying to jumpkick him to get around his bullets, but I never lasted very long doing that. I never got in close enough to elbow him. Maybe its time to fire up the old Nintendo (I still have a working one). I wonder what it'd looking like on a 42" plasma...
Nintendo is awesome on a 42".

Note: the light gun does not seem to work on LCD or plasma. My dream of playing Duck Hunt on a 42" LCD was ruined that night
Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #65
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That was great! I used to love battletoads. We rented it every weekend and never got passed that bike level.
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #66
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
I think the original Zelda should be in there. I've tried playing this game so many times, but still have no clue where the hell the second level is!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #67
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
I think the original Zelda should be in there. I've tried playing this game so many times, but still have no clue where the hell the second level is!
I don't know if I'd call that difficultly - probably just impatience. That's not a knock on you. I'd say 99% of gamers today would be frustrated to no end with the original Zelda. I mean there were a ton of people that complained that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind was too difficult to find where to go, but in the original Zelda you get essentially no clues.

I'd recommend just finding a map online and get an idea of where to go next.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #68
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
I don't know if I'd call that difficultly - probably just impatience. That's not a knock on you. I'd say 99% of gamers today would be frustrated to no end with the original Zelda. I mean there were a ton of people that complained that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind was too difficult to find where to go, but in the original Zelda you get essentially no clues.

I'd recommend just finding a map online and get an idea of where to go next.
I agree its impatience. Cause every time you die, you have to start way back in no mans land, and when you only have three hearts, searching can be a pain in the rear.

I was going to get a map, but I want to do it the right way. When I get my Wii, I'm tossing it in and playing until i beat it
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #69
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Best part about beating the original Zelda for the NES was that you got to play through the "second quest" with all new dungeons and dungeon locations.

If I recall correctly, I think if you named your guy Link or maybe it was Zelda, you got to start on the second quest. What a rude awakening it is when the skeletons are shooting daggers at you!

I'm a nerd.
Wow I had totally forgotten about that. Yeah all sorts of little stuff changed, it was cool.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #70
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayBullet View Post
Ahh... Ghosts & Goblins. ....I FU***NG HATE THAT GAME!!!!! UGH! KCUF!!!!! HATE! UGH!
I bought Ghost & Goblins when I was in Jr high. I was still trying to beat it when I was in my early 20's. I made it to the end once. It said I had the wrong weapon and I died. So I figured I needed the cross to beat the boss at the end (I can't even think what it was since I only saw it once). The cross was the worst weapon available, it only shot part way across the screen. So trying to defeat the dragon and the other winged monster with the cross was pretty much impossible.

Did anybody ever beat that game?

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/Vie...m.Detail&id=17

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 12-06-2007 at 11:02 AM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Leisure suit Larry, I always forgot to get condoms before I did the first girl.
Story of my life...ummm, I mean, never mind!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #72
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, lots of memorable games in this thread. I'd probably be absolutely shocked by the percentage of my youth that was spent trying to pass most of these games. One that sticks out in my head that wasn't mentioned was Strider. There was one part where you had to do a series of wall jumps while crap was exploding and I can't remember if I ever beat it but it's a game that definitely comes to mind.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #73
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I must be the only one, but I remember Altered Beast on the Genesis as being about the hardest game ever
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #74
Calgaree
Lifetime Suspension

Play any of the Fallout games pre- tactics pumping stats out of basic combat stats like Perception and Strength and into Intelligence and Charisma. You'll have a hard time.
Calgaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #75
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I must be the only one, but I remember Altered Beast on the Genesis as being about the hardest game ever
I beat that game the on the first try in 15 minutes. Stupid game. The only game that I had difficulty with growing up was last battle. You die, you're done no matter where you are in the game. No Continues, nothing. It takes about 3 hours to get to the last boss.....
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #76
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Tecmo World Wrestling

Once i made it to the last opponent but i lost to him like swedes in 1809. But that game was great to play with a friend. I bet it it would suck now.

Startropics seemed like a great game but was way too hard for me. Never made it past the ghost town.

Last edited by Kipru; 12-07-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Kipru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #77
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The latest angry video game nerd review is Dragon's Lair - dude couldn't get past the 2nd screen. Pretty funny.
I played Dragons lair in an Arcade like 10 years ago, it cost an entire dollar (big commitment for a twelve year old). I got about 30 sec's of playtime and at no point had any idea what was going on, I could never figure out how that game was actually played.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #78
The Unabomber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wonder Boy and Metal Gear got the better of me when i was young, that original Metal Gear was a great game though.
The Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #79
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

^I played MG 2, Snakes revenge, that took a bit of time but I made it trough.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #80
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I bought Ghost & Goblins when I was in Jr high. I was still trying to beat it when I was in my early 20's. I made it to the end once. It said I had the wrong weapon and I died. So I figured I needed the cross to beat the boss at the end (I can't even think what it was since I only saw it once). The cross was the worst weapon available, it only shot part way across the screen. So trying to defeat the dragon and the other winged monster with the cross was pretty much impossible.
I never fully beat it. Wasn't it the game that if you made it through to the end it asically said "Ha Ha you haven't beat the game do it all over again"?

I beat it the first time through and got pissed and said there was no way I'm going to go through again.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote