Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #21
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow great info thanks guys! This would make sense as to why I won't really notice any 7.1 sound dif and then all of a sudden one sound will get placed soley in one of the surrounds as it should always be and scare the pants off me because I am not expecting to hear it from there.

Would I be having the same problem with my ps3 then as well? Since my reciever doesn't support audio pass through I am using the analog adapter for sound when I should be using optical out
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Would I be having the same problem with my ps3 then as well? Since my reciever doesn't support audio pass through I am using the analog adapter for sound when I should be using optical out
Yes.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh wow I am in for a big surprise it seems in quality. It sounds so good with just 2 channel being spread can't wait for it to be proper. (I am no audiophile by anymeans as I am sure you all know now)
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #24
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if the Motorola DCT 6416III PVR's have the optical out enabled? My plasma does not have an optical audio port. I thought these did not work, but it sounds like people have them set up this way. (HDMI to TV, optical out to stereo)

Thanks.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Does anyone know if the Motorola DCT 6416III PVR's have the optical out enabled? My plasma does not have an optical audio port. I thought these did not work, but it sounds like people have them set up this way. (HDMI to TV, optical out to stereo)

Thanks.
I would be completely shocked if the optical out was disabled. Not all TVs have HDMI inputs.

Mine worked on my 6400, but there was no HDMI on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #26
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks.
I recently upgrade my PVR but I am pretty sure my previous one was a 6416 III, I had it hooked up via optical.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it really the HDMI cable that is causing the signal to black out and/or audio to stop?

That seems like a strange problem, I don't know if I buy it. I've had it happen on two different TV's. One of them had a receiver in between the TV and the cable box and the other didn't.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
So is it really the HDMI cable that is causing the signal to black out and/or audio to stop?

That seems like a strange problem, I don't know if I buy it. I've had it happen on two different TV's. One of them had a receiver in between the TV and the cable box and the other didn't.
I have always had optical from my box to my receiver and for the longest time had the cut outs. Shaw claimed they were working on the problem and recently they have drastically reduced (maybe in the last 8-10 months?).

Maybe it only reduced because I was using the optical cable, who knows.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #29
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
The problem is that it is faking it. On my 7.1 receiver, the best qulaity I get is from my 5.1 analog hookup from my Blu-Ray Player, to my receiver, then to my 5.1 speakers. That is a pure flow of each speaker's intended sound to that speaker. However, if you use HDMI/Optical, all 5.1 channels are separately encoded in the digital signal and your receiver can convert them back to 5.1 signals, one for each speaker (although there is usually some compression unless it is TRUEHD or similar (I believe)). When you use the red/white, there is only information being sent for two channels(speakers), so your receiver basically has to guess how to translate that into something like surround sound. This is where Dolby Pro-logic II and the like come into play. It's basically insctructions to tell your receiver how to make two channel sound play over 5.1 with some surround effects.

Beaten to the punch by photon. On Shaw cable, at least on the HD channels, the Program Guide tells you if a show is 5.1 or not.
most TV being broadcast in 5.1 in "faking it" to begin with. They just use similar (or even identical) processes as a receiver to achieve surround sound. Rarely is anything but real films properly mixed by a human.

DolbyTrue HD, DTS-HDMA etc (the high-res audio formats available on Blu-Ray) are uncompressed and cannot be sent through a optical or digital coax cable, only through HDMI, or if you're BDP does the decoding, each channel can be sent analogue with a rca audio cable.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks.
The TV optical out will likely give only 2/1 digital audio from a set top box. It's mostly there to give digital audio from an over the air signal although some TVs will give 5/1 sound (my LG will but it also has bad audio video sync problems), it's rare.

The best setup is HDMI to audio receiver to TV. If your receiver won't accept an audio signal this way, use a toslink (optical) connection.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #31
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The TV optical out will likely give only 2/1 digital audio from a set top box. It's mostly there to give digital audio from an over the air signal although some TVs will give 5/1 sound (my LG will but it also has bad audio video sync problems), it's rare.

The best setup is HDMI to audio receiver to TV. If your receiver won't accept an audio signal this way, use a toslink (optical) connection.
My Samsung does DD5.1 passthrough. It's actually better in my case to hook up the HDMI to the TV, then optical audio out to the receiver. My TV has A/V sync issues, the video lags behind the audio by a quarter of a second or so unless I go through the TV.