Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default What Android ROM Should I Use?

I was in the States for a conference recently, and won a Galaxy S Vibrant (AT&T Edition) in a draw.

I finally got in in the mail yesterday, and am excited to get it all setup. I am playing with the phone, and really like it, but I don't like all the AT&T bloatware that is on the phone. The bootup/shutdown screens suck too.

I am debating what to do with this phone, and have considered a few options:
  1. I am going to use the phone on Rogers. I know Rogers has a Galaxy S Captivate in their lineup. Would it be possible to get from Rogers their Galaxy S OS version and flash that onto my phone? Is the Rogers version even any good?
  2. I could install Cyanogen Mod, which I have heard good things about. Has anyone used this ROM, and what do you think?
  3. I could just root the phone and remove the bloatware, and leave the startup and shutdown screens in place
  4. Install another ROM
Anyone have any thoughts on these, or want to make other suggestions for me?
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming from a guy who has loaded no less than about 6 or so custom ROM's in the past couple months, I'd say stay with the stock one. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part but I have yet to find a ROM that is bug free. It's nice to be able to do what you want with your phone but it does have a price IMO.

That being said, the most stable, feature packed ROM I have tried yet is the FroyoVillian ROM. You may be in better shape then me with the custom ROM's as I'm doing it on a HTC Hero with a 555 or something MHZ processor, think yours has 1 Ghz and can handle the new ROM's better.

Be interesting to hear if anyone else has input on this. At the end of the day, ROM preference really is a personal choice. Whatever works best for you will be the best one.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got my Galaxy S Vibrant as well and will go through the process of unlocking it tonight before updating it from Eclair to Froyo... I don't have much experience with Android yet so hopefully the process won't be that painful, unlocking or updating.

From what I hear Cyanogen is great. I was going to go to the stock Froyo first and then take a look at the other ways after that. Isn't Honeycomb coming out in like a week or something? You could always just wait for that one.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if the HTC Desire comes with 2.2, or will I have to upgrade? Is upgrading it easy? Like Blackberry easy? I'm with Rogers and thinking of buying the phone off-contract through a family and friends special. I've been using a Blackberry the last couple of years and need a change.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Isn't Honeycomb coming out in like a week or something? You could always just wait for that one.
Gingerbread is in the process of coming out, but it could be a while before its available through carriers. I think the folks are working on custom ROMs of it already though. Honeycomb is slated to come out in 2011 sometime.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
From what I hear Cyanogen is great.
Think I tried that one too, the google nav kept crashing on me.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just unlocked my phone. Wasn't too bad with the youtube tutorials.
Lots of things seem to crash on me. Mostly seems to be my calender... just kind of hangs and then I have to restart my galaxy. Does anyone else get this?

I think I'll switch to gingerbread or maybe just goto gingerbread for now. My android user coworker says theres lots of stability improvements.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Does anyone know if the HTC Desire comes with 2.2, or will I have to upgrade? Is upgrading it easy? Like Blackberry easy? I'm with Rogers and thinking of buying the phone off-contract through a family and friends special. I've been using a Blackberry the last couple of years and need a change.
Not sure what it comes with but apparently its very easy to upgrade. In any case, here's a link my friend sent me with all the different roms on it.
http://db.androidspin.com/androidspin_release_list.asp
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
I picked up both a Desire and a Desire HD a couple of weeks ago and they both came with 2.2. Very nice phones. I don't know if it would come with 2.2 where you're at, but it did where I am.

Also, HTC sense is very nice to use. I would say I like it much more than the UI on the Galaxy S which one of my colleagues has.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the UI changes and samsung apps that are included on the galaxy s are quite good IMO, didn't really feel like downloading new ones.

Anyways, unlocking the thing was fairly painless as was the upgrade to 2.2 stock samsung. One thing that did annoy me was my entire home setup got cleared out on the stock upgrade though. I'll probably find some way to just back up the whole thing next time and just go to 2.3 cyanogen whenever that gets released.