Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
brownie
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Music on mac?

Hey all,I've recently bought a new Macbook and am wondering what everyone uses for Music.Is Limewire free??Is it just as good as Itunes??Can I put music from Limewire onto a Ipod??
Dont really know alot about computers so go easy.

Thanks Brownie
Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suggest paying for your music. So iTunes or buy the CD's and put them on your computer. Keeps everything cleaner and more organized as well
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Limewire is a file sharing program with a crummy media player attached to it. iTunes is a media player with a (crummy?) online store attached to it. So really, they are two different applications.

You need iTunes to put music on to an iPod (there are other options, but I havn't seen any better then iTunes on the Mac platform). So really, you are looking to get music in formats that iTunes can handle, which is pretty much everything excluding protected music from outside the iTunes store.

Using something like LimeWire, you can find mp3 encoded files that can be imported into iTunes and then loaded into your iPod. However, not sure the mods around here will want people talking about how to pirate music.

Your best bet is to "rip" your CD collection onto your Mac using iTunes, and then sync the iPod to it. Default settings work fine, but you might want to play around with them to up the quality (I use 256kbits). Also, if you want to move your music collection to a different media manager then iTunes, rip them as MP3's rather then the Apple format.

Given the amount of garbage flying around on Limewire, I'd advise you to stay away from it and stick to legal torrent sites or direct artist releases.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't have a whole lot of love for limewire . . . as llama said there is a lot of crap in there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bittorrent and Cabos, for the grey area. But I like using the iTunes store, or ripping my own MP3s.