Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default XP Software on Vista?

I have some pretty expense software like the full MS Office Professional suite, photoshop CS2 etc. I want to get a new computer, could I install these applications on a Vista machine?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Most software is compatible, it's only the stuff like anti-virus, drivers, and really poorly written stuff that isn't.

The really big name stuff you can be almost sure it will though, but it's always good to check their websites too to see.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes you can, most that should be required is a patch, but even that is unlikely.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Installing XP software like Microsoft Office 2003 and Norton 360 on my monm's Vista laptop has been an utter nightmare. Be prepared for error messages! Lots of error messages!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Heh, that's actually normal for Vista in my experience.. it'll give tons of messages which amount to "We want to tell you something, but don't think you are smart enough to really know what's going on, so we'll just ask you yes or no and hope you press the right thing".

Just wait until you try to UNinstall things. The OS will actually ASK you "Did this uninstall properly?". Uh yeah, let me just go in the registry and check.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Heh, that's actually normal for Vista in my experience.. it'll give tons of messages which amount to "We want to tell you something, but don't think you are smart enough to really know what's going on, so we'll just ask you yes or no and hope you press the right thing".

Just wait until you try to UNinstall things. The OS will actually ASK you "Did this uninstall properly?". Uh yeah, let me just go in the registry and check.
I think Windows does that with every operating system.

"error code 7863248792349709234798273409"...

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Here's Microsofts download page to their Vista compatibility analyzer.
It will scan your XP machine and tell you what will run with Vista and the apps/services that won't and in most cases will tell you what you have to do.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been running vista since August with no problems whatsoever. Been just as stable as XP if not more.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Been running vista since August with no problems whatsoever. Been just as stable as XP if not more.
Ditto. I haven't seen all the issues people are coming across. I'm sure there are many issues but it isn't like 99.8% of everything doesn't run fine most of the time.

At home I have computers with XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Business and Linux (currently FC6). Vista is just different. I know I initially had issues just because I knew where to find stuff in XP and had to search to find it in XP. The same issues I had when I switched from DOS to Win 3.1, #.1 to Win 95, Win 95 to NT, NT to 2000, 2000 to XP.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no compelling reason to switch to Vista right now. Looking pretty doesn't cut it. We bought a license and installed it on one of our computers and tried it out for a couple months. It didn't work with the software that we need to run our business, and we couldn't print to half of our printers.

The mac commercial is right when PC guy says (paraphrasing) "Don't think of what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for vista." Buying new printers is not an option as we are a non-profit org and we don't have the resources to overhaul anything and everything that doesn't work with Vista.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
There is no compelling reason to switch to Vista right now. Looking pretty doesn't cut it. We bought a license and installed it on one of our computers and tried it out for a couple months. It didn't work with the software that we need to run our business, and we couldn't print to half of our printers.

The mac commercial is right when PC guy says (paraphrasing) "Don't think of what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for vista." Buying new printers is not an option as we are a non-profit org and we don't have the resources to overhaul anything and everything that doesn't work with Vista.
Very true, but it isn't Microsoft's fault if a hardware manufacturer doesn't supply new drivers. But if what you have works, there is no compelling reason to change. For years I helped my uncle's small business figure out how to keep his DOS programs running.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 01-03-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

just wanted to add that you can run programs in compatibility mode and it'll emulate xp sp2, or win nt ...ect.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
just wanted to add that you can run programs in compatibility mode and it'll emulate xp sp2, or win nt ...ect.
I've had very little luck with compatibility. The things I have that didn't work didn't work with the compatibility changes either.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

you could also try to run things off virtual servers, but that's just complicating things
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote