Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #101
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't understand, in regular operation the N64 controller has your left index finger on the trigger, the same way that every modern controller does
Eh? On the N64 I had my left and right index fingers on L/R. My right middle finger was on Z.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #102
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Eh? On the N64 I had my left and right index fingers on L/R. My right middle finger was on Z.
Yes, and there are 6 buttons on the right, not 4. So for me it's a preference thing with wanting to have a legitimate N64 controller to play with than remapping stuff all over with a PS4 controller.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #103
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Yes, and there are 6 buttons on the right, not 4. So for me it's a preference thing with wanting to have a legitimate N64 controller to play with than remapping stuff all over with a PS4 controller.
Dude the post you quoted was agreeing with you.

The GC and beyond is where I use the PS4 or an 8bitDo. Not the 64.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #104
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, just supporting it, not disagreeing.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #105
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Yeah, just supporting it, not disagreeing.
Lol sorry, read that entirely the wrong way.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #106
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Your nostalgia is too strong, the N64 controller is a terrible design. Playing Mario 64 on an Xbox controller is so much more comfortable, let alone anything that has to use the d-pad or left shoulder button
Goldeneye is one of the few games worth playing still and I can’t play it well enough without that controller. I find the entire system requires it.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #107
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Goldeneye is one of the few games worth playing still and I can’t play it well enough without that controller. I find the entire system requires it.
Goldeneye is the greatest example of why emulation can be better than real hardware. I'm playing that on my Shield TV right now and thanks to control remapping, you can control it like any modern FPS (left stick for movement, right stick for camera). If I was stuck using the default control scheme there's no way I'd last longer than 5 minutes
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's a really good documentary on Prime that focuses around the Goldeneye world championships.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #109
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Goldeneye is the greatest example of why emulation can be better than real hardware. I'm playing that on my Shield TV right now and thanks to control remapping, you can control it like any modern FPS (left stick for movement, right stick for camera). If I was stuck using the default control scheme there's no way I'd last longer than 5 minutes
I might need your settings, I cant seem to get it right on the shield. The game doesn’t seem to be designed to play fps style like a modern game so I’m curious to try.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #110
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone here a fan of fire emblem?

Haven't played any of them, but wondering if its worth it. I cut my teeth on Final Fantasy Tactics and still believe that is actually the best final fantasy to date. Love other strategy rpg's and wonder if its worth setting up Citra (a 3ds emulator) and trying some of the fire emblems.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #111
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Fire Emblem is a great series! Not quite FFT quality, but not much is. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) and Three Houses (Switch) are probably the best to get into. Fates (which is actually, basically three games) is alright too. The ones from before 3DS are all a little more hardcore. Those ones all involve permadeath that cannot be disabled. So save scumming becomes a major thing.

Also, first retro game finished during quarantine: Final Fantasy Legend. I forgot how easy it is to cheese the final boss rush with the Glass Sword, lol.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #112
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I might need your settings, I cant seem to get it right on the shield. The game doesn’t seem to be designed to play fps style like a modern game so I’m curious to try.
For the emulator I use M64Plus FZ with the default emulation profile, performance is quite good on the Shield. For controls the default controller profile maps the C buttons to the right analog stick of an Xbox controller. I make a specific Goldeneye controller profile that swaps the horizontal controls of the left and right analog sticks and the Z button to R2, that makes the game control the exact same as a modern FPS. The only issue is that looking up and down is quite slow, but that's just the way the game was designed
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #113
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did a bunch or reading and research after posting here for some advice, since I'm away from home for work I decided to order a emulator from a guy in Montreal that builds them based on a Raspberry Pi. It's called a "Nerdbox" and runs Emulation Station & Retro Arch.

Worth the money, especially since I've been "planning" on building my own for over 3 years now and just never have the time. It's crazy what can be programmed into such a small package and the amount of ROMs (11,000) in memory.

Gotta say though, the latency/lag in controls makes almost all the games unplayable. If you're familiar with the original NES or SNES games it just does not feel right, the timing is off, the delay just kills it. I tried reconfiguration but it's still the same, guess I'll try a PS4 controller or something else high end when I get a chance.

In the end I would prefer to just have the original console.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #114
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Gotta say though, the latency/lag in controls makes almost all the games unplayable. If you're familiar with the original NES or SNES games it just does not feel right, the timing is off, the delay just kills it.
Wired or wireless? I have use a wired setup and haven't noticed lag on RetroPi/ES. I can still get as far or farther than I ever could in the Megaman 2&3.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #115
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wired Kiwitata controller, SNES style. Incredibly disappointing, always seems to be some issue with this stuff.

I'm going to order the 8bitdo recommended a few pages back. Doesn't help me right now though, I can technically play everything but the feel is off. Ruins the experience.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #116
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I can technically play everything but the feel is off. Ruins the experience.
Any chance it's a tv setting? Motion smoothing etc. on LCD screens can throw that off too.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #117
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

You should play around with the RetoArch run-ahead option to help with input lag

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/r...nahead-method/

Using that on my Nvidia Shield and a bluetooth 8bitdo, I get less input lag than I do on real hardware. It takes some trial and error to figure out how many frames to set it to, it's helpful to bind hotkeys to pause and frame advance to do this, so you can measure exactly how many frames it takes between pressing a button and showing an action on-screen. My personal setup is NES with Nestopia core with 1 frame of run-ahead, and SNES with SNES9x with 2 frames of run-ahead. I can play both Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out with no issues using those settings, which is basically the gold standard for input lag mitigation
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #118
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I play on a PC with a PS4 controller. No issues whatsoever.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #119
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks HemiCuda, I have it figured out!

I was in the RetroArch settings menu playing with the latency but whatever I tried wasn't making a difference. I finally noticed that the changes were not being saved when I exited, took a wile but I found out where to turn saved changes on upon exit.

This feels more like it, I can actually play the quicker games and not just the RPGs. A world of difference!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:16 PM   #120
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your TV has a "game" mode try that too