Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Streaming device for all the major players?

I'm guessing the answer might be a Raspberry Pi, but I'm wondering if there are any pre-built devices out there that will work with all the major streaming services (including some of the new ones to come)?

Currently we use Netflix, Amazon & Plex, but I imagine we'll get the Apple service when I buy a new iPhone, as well as will look into Disney's offering. Is there a device out there with it's own remote that will play nice with all of these services?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Fire TV stick will work with everything you listed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have or are looking into getting a smart TV, LGs webOS 3+ has full app support for Netflix, Amazon, Plex, Disney (coming), Airplay 2 (for Apple TV), VUDU, Hulu, YouTube, Google Play, Spotify in 4K+HDR. Bell is #### and purposefully has no Crave support for SmartTVs (only some sticks).

It's also IMO the best SmartOS. It also has solid MiraCast support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I usually recommend against using any Smart TV for your primary streaming. All of the ones I've ever used have terrible performance compared to any dedicated streaming device, and app updates are spotty at best on them. Best route IMO is just get whatever TV has the best picture, then pair it with a Fire stick or Shield TV depending on budget. I guess if you're already in the Apple eco-system then an Apple TV would work too, though I've never used one
Old 10-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been using a Xiaomi Mi Box for the past 2-3 years. It runs on Android TV and I use Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, CBC Gem, Google Play Movies and Music, Spotify, and a bunch of other apps. You can also Googlecast stuff from your phone to it. I've got an old version of it but the new one supports 4k and bluetooth voice remote. I'm not sure about Apple TV though.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I usually recommend against using any Smart TV for your primary streaming. All of the ones I've ever used have terrible performance compared to any dedicated streaming device, and app updates are spotty at best on them. Best route IMO is just get whatever TV has the best picture, then pair it with a Fire stick or Shield TV depending on budget. I guess if you're already in the Apple eco-system then an Apple TV would work too, though I've never used one
My Samsung TV is lightning fast. Great PQ on the streaming services too. But no BritBox.

Apple TV though is ludicrously easy to use and lightning fast as well.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah ATV works fine with all those, and usually is quick to get any updates.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have an underutilized one lying around, laptop/used mac mini/compact PC w/ bluetooth keyboard that has a touchpad + SSD?

Apple TV and Fire stick are also dead easy and reliable. I wouldn't go raspberry pi route unless you've had experience before and android boxes are too hit or miss IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

nVidia is coming out with a Shield TV stick that might be interesting. Think people are expecting it come out at the end of the month.

https://www.androidauthority.com/nvi...stick-1042880/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have firesticks (including HD) and the Xiaomi Android TV box listed above and would definitely recommend both/either.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a shield, Apple TV x 3 and fire stick 4K.

Apple TV performs the best by far with the greatest support. I like the shield it’s just missing Dolby vision and will occasionally crash on some apps. If you like Kodi it’s much easier to put that on Android devices then an Apple TV.

Fire stick travels will me and I have zero complaints. It’s a bit slower then the others but still is faster than smart TVs and has most of what the others have. From a cost standpoint that’s probably the best bet. I would rank them Apple TV 4K, Shield, fire TV 4K in that order. I don’t suggest any other Android boxes because the support is poor unless you buy a big brand one.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I have a shield, Apple TV x 3 and fire stick 4K.

Apple TV performs the best by far with the greatest support. I like the shield it’s just missing Dolby vision and will occasionally crash on some apps. If you like Kodi it’s much easier to put that on Android devices then an Apple TV.

Fire stick travels will me and I have zero complaints. It’s a bit slower then the others but still is faster than smart TVs and has most of what the others have. From a cost standpoint that’s probably the best bet. I would rank them Apple TV 4K, Shield, fire TV 4K in that order. I don’t suggest any other Android boxes because the support is poor unless you buy a big brand one.
The new Shield coming out this month supports Dolby vision. Basically the biggest factor when deciding between the Apple TV and Nvidia Shield is are you into gaming? If so then the Shield has no competition, no other streaming box does what it can. Otherwise just get whatever will match your phone, Apple TV for airplay or Shield for chromecast
Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The new Shield coming out this month supports Dolby vision. Basically the biggest factor when deciding between the Apple TV and Nvidia Shield is are you into gaming? If so then the Shield has no competition, no other streaming box does what it can. Otherwise just get whatever will match your phone, Apple TV for airplay or Shield for chromecast
I think with the release of Apple Arcade and support for all major console controllers the Apple TV is on their way. Most of those games are metal games which can be decent but don’t really hold a candle to PC and console games except maybe a few standout titles. It won’t compare to how the shield can stream PC titles.

I had tried games previously on the shield but all that I could get was indie and old school ones. I will however mention I did not try the Nvidia cloud option which is probably where the A listers are.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I think with the release of Apple Arcade and support for all major console controllers the Apple TV is on their way. Most of those games are metal games which can be decent but don’t really hold a candle to PC and console games except maybe a few standout titles. It won’t compare to how the shield can stream PC titles.

I had tried games previously on the shield but all that I could get was indie and old school ones. I will however mention I did not try the Nvidia cloud option which is probably where the A listers are.
There’s a Steam link app for Apple TV now so you can stream pc games. The Shield is still far better for gaming but Apple is heading in the right direction.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #15
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of being able to install 3rd party software on Apple TV ranks it waaaayyyyy down the list, imo
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #16
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For 95% of the population though what can't you install?

Off the top of my head, crave, Amazon, Netflix, assumably Disney, mlb, dazn, centre ice, SN, are all available.

IMO anyone wanting to run automated downloads with Plex aren't in the market to pay most streaming subscriptions anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #17
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The lack of being able to install 3rd party software on Apple TV ranks it waaaayyyyy down the list, imo
I think every streaming service is available in Apple TV. Kodi is rather simple if you have a Mac or want to shell out $30 a year for it to be done online.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
For 95% of the population though what can't you install?

Off the top of my head, crave, Amazon, Netflix, assumably Disney, mlb, dazn, centre ice, SN, are all available.

IMO anyone wanting to run automated downloads with Plex aren't in the market to pay most streaming subscriptions anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The big thing for me is being able to install a VPN client directly on my Shield, so I can have certain apps running through VPN while the rest of my stuff is using my normal internet. This allows Hulu to work (subscription through gift card) and Gamecenter for Flames games, while not affecting Netflix, Sportsnet, etc.

And I do have automated downloads with Plex, but I still pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Plex is perfect for movies, but when I want to start binging older TV series it's far easier to use streaming, instead of trying to download all 14 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for example
Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ you just go into the settings on the Apple TV and change the DNS to your VPN provider’s DNS and boom.....VPN.

I still think that is becoming a thing of the past however as anything you can’t consume from the major players you can get in 10 seconds on Kodi. I even edited a well know android program to work on Apple TV for streaming for the less technical members of my family.

I am not saying the shield is bad, far from it as I use one in addition to my Apple TV’s; I’m just saying that the mountains being made of the differences in these machines are mere pebbles.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
^ you just go into the settings on the Apple TV and change the DNS to your VPN provider’s DNS and boom.....VPN.

I still think that is becoming a thing of the past however as anything you can’t consume from the major players you can get in 10 seconds on Kodi. I even edited a well know android program to work on Apple TV for streaming for the less technical members of my family.

I am not saying the shield is bad, far from it as I use one in addition to my Apple TV’s; I’m just saying that the mountains being made of the differences in these machines are mere pebbles.

You'd have to keep flipping that back and fourth though if you wanted to use Hulu and any Canadian streaming service like Crave or Sportsnet Now. With my PIA VPN app it connects automatically at startup, wraps Hulu and Gamecenter in the VPN, and leaves all of the other traffic alone. I set the same thing up on my brother's Shield (not a technical guy) and there's no issues, set it and forget it