Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #581
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My pixel 2XL stopped charging today. Just outside of warranty now of course. It was my third one that was replaced on warranty for issues with charging and the USB C port. I like the phone but disappointed with these issues so it's time to upgrade.
Looking at the oneplus 8 and pro but I think they start around 1100$ cdn + tax up to 1599$ for the pro. I wish I had bought a 7T or 7Pro or 7T pro when they were available.
There aren't really any other android phones that interest me much right now. Might have to wait a bit again and see what shakes out. I have an LG V30 for a back up phone I might have to use for awhile.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:02 AM   #582
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference with all the Samsung models? I understand s is top, but then there is a and there are phones within the category that is similar and released at the same time. I find cellphones confusing in the sheer number of phones each manufacturer releases. I need a cellphone for dummies thread I guess lol. Just figured I'd throw it out there
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #583
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you want just a pretty good phone from Samsung get an A51 or A71. been Playing with the 71 and am pretty impressed.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 12:28 AM   #584
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference with all the Samsung models?
The Galaxy S are the flagship consumer models with very good to top-of-the-line displays, CPUs, ram and storage capacity, cameras, build quality, etc.

The Notes are a more "professional" version of the S, adding a stylus and generally matching or exceeding the S's specifications.

The Plus moniker means the display is larger than the normal version, and Ultra means an even bigger display. There are usually some other advantages from going bigger as well (more ram, more storage, higher resolution display, 5G, etc).

The Galaxy A are the higher-end mainstream consumer models and are a step down in specifications from the same year S. The higher the number after the A, the better it is.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-31-2020 at 12:31 AM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 05:11 AM   #585
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to get a cheap new phone to tide me over to the new Pixel, but was sick of Samsung. Decided on a Motorola One Vision and am really happy with it. Screen is fantastic for such a cheap phone. Speed and spec wise (without looking it up) it feels about as fast as a Samsung S model from 2 or so years ago so probably comparable to the A line
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #586
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ignorant question: Do all android phones contain their own version of software like Samsung does or do most just use the google versions?

I am looking at upgrading my Samsung S7 which was a replacement phone of the Pixel 2 that I accidentally broke. Loved the Pixel, not big on the Samsung.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #587
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, they don't. Well, not really. I think Google phones are the only completely bare ones, but Oneplus makes near stock Android. I've got one, it's great. I think Motorola is pretty close to bare as well. There are others as well, just can't think of them right now. My dad has a Samsung, and I don't like what they do to Android.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #588
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Ignorant question: Do all android phones contain their own version of software like Samsung does or do most just use the google versions?

I am looking at upgrading my Samsung S7 which was a replacement phone of the Pixel 2 that I accidentally broke. Loved the Pixel, not big on the Samsung.
Every developer has their own version of Android software. It has the same engine under the hood, but they add their own apps, bloat and other assorted stuff.

Some are better than others. I can't stand Samsung anymore, it is filled with bloatware. My current phone is a Oneplus 7T and I quite like their Oxygen OS so far.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #589
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's exactly what drove me toward this motorola. It's part of the Android One program, which is essentially now the old Nexus program, it's pure Android with third party hardware

Last edited by btimbit; 06-03-2020 at 10:15 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #590
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dropped my OnePlus 6t dead flat ... and screen no longer works.
Is there a program I can use to access files from PC? I googled and apparently Vysor is supposed to work. Maybe. Sigh
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #591
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone on Android 11 beta? I'm downloading it right now.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #592
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else getting this Galaxy Store "urgent software updates available" the last week or so?

It doesn't look like a normal update and it won't say what it is for so I haven't installed it but it keeps popping up. Has anyone installed it to see what it is?
Wondering if it might be Covid tracking?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #593
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

No I haven’t but I have Galaxy Store notifications off.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #594
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Anyone else getting this Galaxy Store "urgent software updates available" the last week or so?

It doesn't look like a normal update and it won't say what it is for so I haven't installed it but it keeps popping up. Has anyone installed it to see what it is?

Check Sam Mobile. If its legit there should be some sort of talk about it.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #595
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could take a year to find something specific on that site. Thanks guys, I'll wait until a Google search tells me something.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #596
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post

I don't recall seeing this message on my S9 but I did notice this morning when I opened the image gallery a message indicating Samsung was transitioning away from Samsung account and wanted to upload files to my Microsoft One Drive. Might be related to that?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #597
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the best place to go for screen replacements. First time ever, my s10e screen got chipped and I have never had this problem before.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #598
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As an FYI- Android 11 released today, Downloading onto my Pixel 2 as I type this.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #599
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The pixel 4a came out today Officially. Anybody know where I can get a physical one today? I’m with freedom and they say they have to order and it won’t come until October. Same delivery time at the google store. Damn was looking forward to having it in my hands today
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #600
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Pixel 5 was announced and it's pretty meh. I am excited for the new Chromecast with built in Android TV. You can get one for $70 or $120 with 6 months of Netflix. If you're already a Netflix subscriber you're basically getting the Chromecast for $40. Good deal!

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_google_tv
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: