Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Need Advice - 2012 Macbook Replacement

My wife has a 2012 Macbook Pro (i7/2.9Ghz/8GB ram) she uses it primarily for photos (iPhoto) and making calendars and the such with web based software such as mix book and shutter fly. She also does some light office work with the basic MS Office Suite.

She has recently been complaining that the computer is getting slow and is bogging down. I suspect there are also battery problems, so after 5 years it might be time for a new computer.

The price of a new macbook almost made me puke (for a mid range macbook pro I am looking at $2300 for an i7/2.3Ghz/16GB)

Now my question is the specs on the new model seem worse than the old computer, I would hate to shell out $2300 for a computer that sucks worse. Is there something I am missing with the specs?

I also considering a macbook air i7/2.2Ghz/8GB which would run about $1900 but would at least have full size USB ports.

The other piece of information is that we both recently migrated our phones from apple to android, so the integration with iPhoto is not really needed. We are going to be migrating that to Google Photos soon.

Any suggestions for what to replace her computer with? I would like to keep it below $2000, and closer to $1500 if possible. We aren't married to the apple os.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

you should try resetting the SMC on your Mac.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295
Shutdown your MacBook Air / MacBook Pro
Connect the power adapter to the Mac
On the MacBook / Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
Release all keys and the power button at the same time – the little light on the MagSafe adapter may change colors briefly to indicate the SMC has reset
Boot your Mac as usual

As for a new computer, I'd say it depends a lot on preference, especially with pc's, there's a lot of selection. Take your wife to Chinook and check out the different pcs at the windows store and compare them to the Macs at the apple store.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Do you have an ssd in the current MacBook? They’re easy to upgrade and a clean install of the OS should make it zippy again. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and it’s still great for doing the tasks you mentioned.

I’d also look at refurbished laptops from Apple. You can save money that way. Do you have a link to the new one you were looking at? I think the 2.3 ghz are i5 not i7.

You’ll find better value with a Windows laptop, and since you don’t use iPhones you won’t miss anything. I’d suggest a Surface or Dell XPS 13 for your budget.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Do you have an ssd in the current MacBook? They’re easy to upgrade and a clean install of the OS should make it zippy again. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and it’s still great for doing the tasks you mentioned.

I’d also look at refurbished laptops from Apple. You can save money that way. Do you have a link to the new one you were looking at? I think the 2.3 ghz are i5 not i7.

You’ll find better value with a Windows laptop, and since you don’t use iPhones you won’t miss anything. I’d suggest a Surface or Dell XPS 13 for your budget.
It does have an SSD, which was stock.

Here are the links to what I am looking at.

Macbook Pro: (your right, I would need to upgrade to the 2.5 to get the I7)

Macbook Air:

HP Spectre X360

Yoga 910 - Platinum Silver
Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Consider refurbished. That first one in your list is $1679 refurbished:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...lay-Space-Gray

And you can get the Air for $1229:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse...macbook_air/13

If you're willing to wait, sometimes you can find a previous generation Macbook Pro in the refurbished section which stands up quite well relative to the newer models. I got one with an i5 2.7 ghz with 8gb RAM and a 256GB SSD for $1350 a couple of months ago and it's fantastic. They tend to sell quickly though.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I think the 13" MBP are nicer and at a better price point too, the 15" is too big IMO.
And the refurbs are great.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Consider refurbished. That first one in your list is $1679 refurbished:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...lay-Space-Gray

And you can get the Air for $1229:

If you're willing to wait, sometimes you can find a previous generation Macbook Pro in the refurbished section which stands up quite well relative to the newer models. I got one with an i5 2.7 ghz with 8gb RAM and a 256GB SSD for $1350 a couple of months ago and it's fantastic. They tend to sell quickly though.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the refurbs come packed like new. Plan on gifting this.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the refurbs come packed like new. Plan on gifting this.
yes, they come packed like new, completely refurbished, repackaged.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think one could tell they're refurbished by the packaging, they look identical in my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A 2012 Mac book Pro should be completely fine to do the tasks you listed. Try monkeyman’s suggestions and check the apple forums for other trouble shooting ideas.

If you do decide to buy something new, wipe the old one and sell it. That should recoup $500 to $600 for you. I got about that much for a 2009 MacBook a few years ago. But again, you shouldn’t need a new one.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to echo above post, a mid 2012 model should be more than adequate to run those applications- particularly if you are running an SSD and 8GB RAM. Unless you are set on getting a newer model anyway, I would suggest investigating what might be the issue- A logic board replacement is perhaps the only thing that would not be worth replacing as far as cost of repair vs the value of the laptop.

That said, sluggishness could likely just be an OS issue or the SSD. The Apple store can run a free diagnostic for you and likely identify the issue.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote