Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Adobe Advice and the Canadian Dollar

Just looking for some financial opinions on Adobe products.

Adobe is currently offering all their products (Photoshop, Premiere, etc.) for $39.99 USD for a year contract. But the sale ends today, April 3rd.

Our CND dollar is quite low right now, but it could get worse in light of what's happening. Or it could get better, I dunno.

I have the option of paying month-to-month or paying all at once. If I pay all at once I'm locking into the current rates, but then I don't have to worry. If I go month-to-month it could go well or very bad if the dollar doesn't pick up and totally tanks.

What would you do?
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

look at open source free options?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoof that's getting pricey. I think I'm still on the 14.99 plan (for PS/LR).

It's a crap shoot but personally I'd lock in. Best case scenario I don't see the dollar getting any better any time soon - and this time next year I'll be amazed if we're not down to 50-60c.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Whoof that's getting pricey. I think I'm still on the 14.99 plan (for PS/LR).

It's a crap shoot but personally I'd lock in. Best case scenario I don't see the dollar getting any better any time soon - and this time next year I'll be amazed if we're not down to 50-60c.
Yah it is pricey. But I need Premiere and Photoshop at least for my current project files. If I lease those two things separately it's even more. I saw some speculation in the news that the dollar would strengthen by summer but I don't see how.

Edit: Although it looks like I can can get PS/LR package for $9.99 and Premiere for $20.99 which would save me $10USD per month. I could use AE still but not totally necessary.

Last edited by Drak; 04-03-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Yah it is pricey.
I also forgot the package with Premiere is way more. I wanted Illustrator and that was too much for me.

I dunno, I think "strengthen" might be a couple cents. No way we're getting close to par again anytime soon. I'd still lock in myself. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks knowingly than potentially lose way more but that's a personal choice.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #6
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pay $20/month as a student, so yeah, that's a good deal. I use illustrator and InDesign almost every day though, so it's a necessary evil.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought you meant the sale was $39.99 for the entire year. I would have told you to start the car!

Adobe is over expensive. We're trying to get our users to try cheaper alternatives but they're scared of being outcast by their colleagues for not using the industry standard.

Adobe doesn't have a monopoly, but it basically does.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I thought you meant the sale was $39.99 for the entire year. I would have told you to start the car!

Adobe is over expensive. We're trying to get our users to try cheaper alternatives but they're scared of being outcast by their colleagues for not using the industry standard.

Adobe doesn't have a monopoly, but it basically does.
Yah no kidding eh? I'd be all over that if so.

Could you list some of your preferred alternatives? And would they be compatible with Premiere and PS files?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty happy the versions of CS5 we bought a decade ago still work just fine. I think to the amount of money we would have spent on subscriptions over those years, and it's kinda mind-boggling.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm pretty happy the versions of CS5 we bought a decade ago still work just fine. I think to the amount of money we would have spent on subscriptions over those years, and it's kinda mind-boggling.
Yep, spending upfront for CS a few years ago would have been so much better than constantly paying for the subscription.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Could you list some of your preferred alternatives? And would they be compatible with Premiere and PS files?
I used to use GIMP in place of Photoshop. It was pretty decent.
I guess it depends on what you're using PS for though, as I'm sure there are lots of features that PS has that GIMP doesn't.
I also used to use Inkscape in place of Illustrator, but I don't remember how good it was, as this was probably 5-6 years ago now.
Scribulus was a decent Indesign substitute.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I paid for Adobe until this year. I just don't use it enough to justify the price.

I find Affinity Photo does pretty much everything I need to do. It's probably good enough unless you're a pro.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I subscribed to the Photography plan at the end of January because I needed Photoshop for the freelance work I'm doing for a video game.

I decided to go with monthly because I didn't know if I would keep doing freelance after my contract ended and there was no discount for doing yearly but had I known what impact Corona would have on the dollar I probably would have went with yearly.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adobe software used to cost hundreds of dollars...kids these days

pay the $40

wait that is per month?
Old 04-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know what is good or very compatible. The guy making the recommendation talks about Corel as his wife uses Corel.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote