Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Samsung Galaxy S firmware upgrade....help!!!!!

I used Samsung Kies to upgrade my firmware. It was upgrading fine, has all the binary files and such. But it is stuck now in the update bar...got about 10 percent of the way there and its frozen. What do I do? Help I want this update and I don't want to mess up my files.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just ugraded mine with no problems. If I were you I'd call tech and see what they have to say.... 1-877-328-2123
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I first got the galaxy, the upgrade firmwire failed on me and wiped my phone
I'm waiting until Froyo comes out for it later this month, and bring it into the Bell store to do it for me
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Bent Wookie

Froyo is out if you have an SGS from Bell.

I had no issues updating mine.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

No issues on my vibrant update. Did the cable come loose part way through the process or something?

Probably should back up with titanium or nandroid before a flash next time.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

For people that upgraded to 2.2, how is it so far?
also, probably being paranoid, but it shouldn't affect your apps right? I've been obsessively trying to get 3 stars on every level to Angry Birds, and hate to have my phone wiped by accident when I upgrade to Froyo
Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fairly good. Greatly improved battery and speed performance over 2.1. Over 9 hours I'm getting much 20% more charge retained than previously. Used to be that I would goto work and come home with 35-40% charge, now its closer to 60%. Seems less laggy as well.

As far as I noticed, your app settings, saves, contacts, etc will not be affected by the upgrade unless you screw up somehow during the upgrade. One thing to note home screen shortcuts and settings will be wiped out tho by the stock upgrade. I was so scared about my phone having been completely wiped out when I saw the blank home screen at the beginning. Wasn't until I opened up my apps folder that I saw everything was still there.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Telus released the 2.2 for Fascinate phone? If so, how do I grab it if i'm on a mac and don't have kies? Is there a wireless update option on the phone I have to be checking?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
Has Telus released the 2.2 for Fascinate phone? If so, how do I grab it if i'm on a mac and don't have kies? Is there a wireless update option on the phone I have to be checking?
As far as I know both Telus and Bell just point you to upgrade with Kies. At least it does for bell's help website. Have you tried using some kind of windows emulation software like VMWare?

As for wireless updating no option like this will ever exist for firmware updates. Two main reasons for this.
Firmware is inherently low level, as in the software responsibly for loading them (bootloader if you will) exist and starts well before any operating systems with wireless drivers.
Wireless transmissions are inherently flaky and there are high chances for data corruption (long wait times for retransmissions, etc), you would not want this for any sort of critical updates like firmware.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the US, OTA updates are common. First you download the entire file, then your phone restarts to do the update. Works like a charm, no cables or computers required.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
In the US, OTA updates are common. First you download the entire file, then your phone restarts to do the update. Works like a charm, no cables or computers required.
Yes.... I should have clarified real-time live updates, not a saved firmware file.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been having trouble with marketplace on their Galaxy's? I hear lots of problems and I tried to buy my first paid app today, it gets stuck on authorizing/installing and won't start downloading until I sign in and out of my google account.

Anyone know if the new markeplace fixes this?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys!!! Anyone who is thinking of upgrading to 2.2 hold off on it until later. My Vibrant bricked within 4 days of the update and I had to return it. Seems like there are a wack load of problems with this update frying the internal microSD.

Sadly I thought it was a manufacturing defect and I just returned it and re-updated to 2.2. So I feel like I have a time bomb on my hands here. Sigh. What will happen is the initial update will be successful, but will fail 1 to 6 days after you flashed.
Anyways, links to articles.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/12/sa.../#comment-4027

http://androidforums.com/samsung-vib...ternal-sd.html

EDIT: XDA forum now has about 30 pages (>42%) of people have issues with the 2.2 update. Has something to do with the RFS and sd caching.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867157
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868569

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-17-2010 at 12:28 PM.