Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

^ Is it just me, or does he need a bigger screen?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
^ Is it just me, or does he need a bigger screen?
You'd think with his salary he could afford 3 bigger screens.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fanatec just announced a new wheel that is compatible with the PS3, 360, and PC.

http://fanatec.de/

It's the 911 GT2 wheel. The difference between this and the Porsche Turbo S wheel is the paint and the wheel material (alcantara vs smooth leather). It also looks like the new wheel doesn't come with pedals (which can be bought separately).

Personally I wish I had waited because I'd rather have the alcantara rather than the leather. I have it in the interior of my car and it is really nice and soft. Very similar to suede.

Last edited by Meelapo; 12-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Meelapo, question for you. I got my GT3 wheel yesterday (and yeah, that Alcantara leather is really sweet)...and after a little bit of playing I get this weird chirping/buzzing noise from the housing like a wire is hitting some moving part. Do you get that? It definitely doesn't sound like a normal fan or anything....and whenever I move the housing a bit (ie lift it to be at more of an angle) it goes away. Are you getting this?

Otherwise the wheel/pedals are fantastic....but this bothers me!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Hey Meelapo, question for you. I got my GT3 wheel yesterday (and yeah, that Alcantara leather is really sweet)...and after a little bit of playing I get this weird chirping/buzzing noise from the housing like a wire is hitting some moving part. Do you get that? It definitely doesn't sound like a normal fan or anything....and whenever I move the housing a bit (ie lift it to be at more of an angle) it goes away. Are you getting this?

Otherwise the wheel/pedals are fantastic....but this bothers me!
I have a 911 turbo and the fan gets fairly loud when it ramps up... Is that what you're talking about?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #26
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thrustmaster has come out with a new wheel... The thing is crazy priced... $500 without the optional shifters
http://www.gtplanet.net/first-pictur...-t500rs-wheel/
Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I have a 911 turbo and the fan gets fairly loud when it ramps up... Is that what you're talking about?
Nope, it's not just the fan, it sounds like something hitting the fan. Contacted Fanatec....will let you know what they say.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #28
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My fan gets loud when it ramps up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Nope, it's not just the fan, it sounds like something hitting the fan. Contacted Fanatec....will let you know what they say.
I've been talking with Table5 via PMs and I think we have very similar issues. A few days ago I was doing some hard driving. The fan came on and every time I applied the brakes a loud buzzing sound would manifest. I pushed down on the house (and even hit it...I was frustrated with this product and the whole experience of buying it) and it seemed to lessen the sound. I'm wondering if maybe there is a rogue wire touching the fan or belt or something. Unfortunately it's not easy getting the housing off as you need to remove the wheel to get at one screw.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm... this almost sounds like some dust in the fan that happens to my computer every so often... but that's after a year or so of use. Let me know how this goes for you guys.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll let you know.....as soon as Fanatec decides to write me back.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #31
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes their response can be pretty slow... A couple of days between emails. It's crappy that their support line is not live either.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #32
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to a different forum and posted my issues. For some reason Fanatec has a community support person there to help people out. Anyways, this guy told me I should open the wheel up and see if I can fix the issue. From what he said if you speak with him or Fanatec they won't void your warranty when you open it up provided you talk to them.

Anyways, it was pretty straightforward to get the housing off. In order to do so you need to remove the wheel because of some little screw right behind it that acts as a little deterrent to not open the thing. The only major issue I had is that in order to get access to that screw you need to remove three other screws within the wheel. You need to remove the Porsche logo and remove the three screws by way of that super small hole. The screws are also glued in with some stuff so you really need to give 'er.

Once I yanked the wheel off I took off the case (P.S. if you do this you need a longer than normal 3mm Allan Key. They sell long ones at Canadian Tire) I tried my best to clean the inside up. Right from the factory everything looks decent. My whole issue was that when the fan came on and I pressed the brakes or got hit (i.e. any time the larger force feedback motor kicked in) I would get this buzzing sound. I deduced that it must me some wire that gets knocked into the fan during the shaking. I just bought a bunch of zip ties and did my best to move the wires away from the fans.

I haven't had any time to test, other than test the wheel to see if it still works but I'll keep you posted. If anyone has questions about opening the wheel let me know.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thrustmaster has come out with a new wheel... The thing is crazy priced... $500 without the optional shifters
http://www.gtplanet.net/first-pictur...-t500rs-wheel/
That's cheap. you should check out the ECCI and TSW wheels

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote