Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:
Default books.google.com

Today Google launched "the largest ebooks collection in the world with more than three million titles including hundreds of thousands for sale."

We cannot buy any books in Canada yet as it is just available in the US, but I guess it is coming. But we can browse and download all the free ones.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...on-google.html

http://books.google.com
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

books.google.com

What an ugly, ugly website. Links everywhere (show me some text that isn't blue and clickable), pictures popping up nearly anywhere on screen you try and park your mouse pointer...books missing covers. Cover images of varying resolution. Tons of books in the wrong categories.

Bleh. The very antithesis of the Google home page we know and love.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Based on the supported e-readers, these must be in epub format. Prices are about $1-$2 more than Amazon based on the searches I did. They have an okay collection of stuff on there.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
books.google.com

What an ugly, ugly website. Links everywhere (show me some text that isn't blue and clickable), pictures popping up nearly anywhere on screen you try and park your mouse pointer...books missing covers. Cover images of varying resolution. Tons of books in the wrong categories.

Bleh. The very antithesis of the Google home page we know and love.
Yeah, it'd almost be better if it was more of the classic Google look with the option to click a show/hide all that other crap.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, it'd almost be better if it was more of the classic Google look with the option to click a show/hide all that other crap.
Has anyone checked out the iPad or other Google Book apps? Maybe the presentation is better in those, although I don't know if they include storefront functionality.

The eBook application front is getting weird. On the iPad we've got iBooks, Kindle Reader, the Google app, the Barnes & Noble app, and who knows what other ones (I guess you can throw Zinio on the pile too).

I wonder if the average eBook reader develops a brand loyalty, or if most people will have content scattered across myriad readers and store interfaces.