Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Anti-Virus Software

My current subscription of Norton Anti-Virus has just expired, and I am contemplating on re-newing very soon. A co-worker of mine has recently told me that the anti-virus provided by Shaw is sifficient enough and I don't really need a Norton type software.

I have a desktop and a new laptop arriving this week, both in need of some form of security. What is the best thing to do to protect my pc's from evil? Is Norton my best option, or are there others out there that are better? Any advice would be great.
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
My current subscription of Norton Anti-Virus has just expired, and I am contemplating on re-newing very soon. A co-worker of mine has recently told me that the anti-virus provided by Shaw is sifficient enough and I don't really need a Norton type software.

I have a desktop and a new laptop arriving this week, both in need of some form of security. What is the best thing to do to protect my pc's from evil? Is Norton my best option, or are there others out there that are better? Any advice would be great.
Norton and McAffee both suck donkey balls.

If it is for personal use, AVG and Avast are both free and both do at least as good a job (and in my opinion, much better) than the venerable old Norton.

If you insist on paying, both those offer a more enhanced feature set that you can pay for, or NOD32 and Kaspersky are good. There are other good ones, too; but those are a few of the main names.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

got to agree AVG does a pretty good job for free
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Norton and McAffee both suck donkey balls.
Well put. People need to learn this simple fact.

Personally I don't use an anti-virus program. But when installing things for friends and family, I generally use AVG since it's decently made and updated frequently.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the input so far guys. Does this mean I should avoid relying solely on Shaw's Anti-Virus?
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Thanks for the input so far guys. Does this mean I should avoid relying solely on Shaw's Anti-Virus?
I've never been a fan of the ISP provided security tools, but from what I hear, the Shaw Secure package is decent. You don't need more then one anti-virus tool though so don't worry about relying on just one.

To cover the basics you need:
- anti-virus (you should never need to pay for this unless you are a business)
- anti-spyware (Windows Defender and Ad-Aware should cover you)
- Don't use Internet Explorer 6. I'd recommend Firefox or Opera to be safe though.

This is assuming you have Windows XP or Vista. If you have Windows ME/98/95... well, that's like bringing a knife to a gun fight if you connect it to the Internet.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
If you have Windows ME/98/95... well, that's like bringing a butter knife to a gun fight if you connect it to the Internet.
Fixed that for you.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

In my opinion, straight-up antivirus' are pretty much useless for the casual user in today's day and age. The lines between viruses and spyware are all blurred into malware and there are plenty of good free tools that will take care of all the bases.

Get Spybot S&D, update it, immunize your system, scan. Setup tea-timer and it will protect your system registry.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a newsletter from a guy who takes security pretty seriously.

http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote