Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Flames Derek Ryan role and contract discussion

After all the Derek Ryan discussion in the Sam Bennett thread, I figured it'd be a good idea to start a new thread discussing where exactly Ryan fits on this team and what the Flames should do as his contract expires next summer.

I also have a new FlamesNation article out today about how Ryan has been excelling on the PK to new, outstanding levels in the play-ins.

https://flamesnation.ca/2020/08/10/w...it-bottom-six/

What do you guys all make of Doc's role on the team?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan will be 34 at the end of this contract. In a year, hopefully he is surpassed by someone on the farm.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Doc, but I think he needs to be moved this summer so we can address other issues. If we can get a pick for him and replace him at half the salary, that frees up more to re-sign Brodie or sign a replacement.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will all depend on how much it will take to keep him and whether any young players can push him out of his role.

He is a nice player to have, but not a core guy. You really need to be careful how much you pay bottom six players on the wrong side of 30. By next year, if we don't have prospects vying for his job, then it can probably be looked at as a failure in our player development.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team should simply have him play out his deal and see where things stand at the end of next season. Players of his age can fall off fast so I see no need to extend him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I like Doc, but I think he needs to be moved this summer so we can address other issues. If we can get a pick for him and replace him at half the salary, that frees up more to re-sign Brodie or sign a replacement.
The only way he could be replaced for half the salary would be internally. And there is nothing in the system that can replace him next year.

I think we should play out the contract and see where we are. If we don't have a replacement in another year (probably won't) then try to re-sign him at a number that the team can live with.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the team should simply have him play out his deal and see where things stand at the end of next season. Players of his age can fall off fast so I see no need to extend him.
Yeah.

He's been a good signing for this team and helped solidify our bottom 6 but I don't see a huge reason to jump and re-sign him. If it works out after next season as a UFA then great, but no reason to commit to a 34 year old bottom 6'er prior to his contract expiring.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to Engelland who was a UFA and had ties to Vegas and went there as a UFA on an expansion team.

Ryan is from Spokane, Washington and he could be a good veteran leader for Seattle and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for the Kraken as a UFA.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Ryan can be forced off the roster by next season from the bottom up, but I could see him be forced off the roster from the top down if Treliving trades for another Monahan/Backlund level C or better.

As for extending Ryan past his next contract, let it play out, there is no rush. For all we know a guy like Gawdin or Ruzicka might be a younger, better, cheaper 4th line C option by then, and if Ryan is still the best ption for 3rd line C by the start of next season I will be pretty disappointed.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The only way he could be replaced for half the salary would be internally. And there is nothing in the system that can replace him next year.

I think we should play out the contract and see where we are. If we don't have a replacement in another year (probably won't) then try to re-sign him at a number that the team can live with.
Clearly by getting a cheaper player there would be a slight downgrade but keeping our top 4 in tact or replacing Brodie with a comparable player is significantly more important than our 3-4c spot.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Clearly by getting a cheaper player there would be a slight downgrade but keeping our top 4 in tact or replacing Brodie with a comparable player is significantly more important than our 3-4c spot.
No question.

But if there are no good replacements, and you can re-sign him for $1.5-2M, that's a good move. And it wouldn't inhibit addressing those other needs.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still think it was a great signing.

Unless he takes short, cheap contracts though I don't really want to resign him.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No question.

But if there are no good replacements, and you can re-sign him for $1.5-2M, that's a good move. And it wouldn't inhibit addressing those other needs.
That's all well and good, but we might need that cap space next season, before his contract expires
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No question.

Man would a decent hardworking, two way Janko be useful now, eh? I guess Dube could fill the role but that's a waste.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy is really good to have around but I do agree that as a 4th line guy, he's too much. I really like his game and what he brings but as per usual, the Flames have too many bottom 6 players and not enough top 6 players. It's not that they don't have a decent top 6 but it would be nice if they were playing guys in the bottom 6 because they had no more room in the top 6. Ryan is an ideal third line guy but Bennett seems to have taken that spot now and it would be great if he could stick there or move up to the second line (not holding my breath).

If someone wants to give up a good return for Ryan, I'd seriously consider trading him. As it sits now, the team is doing well and he seems to be a good fit on the team. Let's just wait for the Flames to win the cup and see how things play out next season.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed. He is a guy you want on the team IF you are able to fit him after having all other potential deals/signings/re-signings complete.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames should keep Ryan around until the end of his contract and go from there. There is a potential internal replacement in Glenn Gawdin, who I think will remain with the big team for the majority of next season, if not all of it (depending on if Jankowski is retained). Next season will be a great opportunity for Gawdin to learn from Ryan up close in a similar role. If Ryan is willing to sign a less expensive deal to remain around and he is still contributing well, then that is a great option to have.

He's such a versatile and talented player that I disagree with trading him off after this season to acquire draft picks. He's still an important part of the roster and I think that in a veteran role, his impact on the development of young players on the team is more valuable than most draft picks.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #17
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Ryan is an ideal third line guy but Bennett seems to have taken that spot now and it would be great if he could stick there or move up to the second.
I don't think was a matter of Bennett taking the third line slot from Ryan as much as it was Ryan made the 4th line less awful.

Dube/Ryan/Lucic were going just fine before Ward swapped them. His hand was forced when you couldn't dare to put the 4th line on the ice.

Ryan will be missed after he's gone. You need a solid RHS center on you team. Ryan happens to be that player. The fact that he's able to kill penalties and play up and down the line up are added bonuses.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't think Ryan can be forced off the roster by next season from the bottom up, but I could see him be forced off the roster from the top down if Treliving trades for another Monahan/Backlund level C or better.

As for extending Ryan past his next contract, let it play out, there is no rush. For all we know a guy like Gawdin or Ruzicka might be a younger, better, cheaper 4th line C option by then, and if Ryan is still the best ption for 3rd line C by the start of next season I will be pretty disappointed.
If Playoff Bennett figures out how to be a passable #3C, and Dube sticks in the middle, I think you have your Ryan replacement right there.

It’s good to have a veteran ease these kids into this role, but I think you keep him to play out his contract, and trade him if/when 93 and 29 make him expendable.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My main concern with Ryan is that he is an easily available safety blanket for the coaching staff, thereby limiting opportunities for guys like Bennett/Dube/Janko to make mistakes at critical times, and actually learn from the experience.

If young players making mistakes costs you 6 pts in a season and you therefore miss the playoffs, you simply weren’t good enough to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #20
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ryan helps the team now and there's no reason to think he won't next season as well.

Reevaluate the situation at the end of the contract.

Ryan is where is he is because he's a student of the game and a mentor by example. I could see him in a coaching or teaching role in the future.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post: