Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #1481
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't mean any offence and I truly do hate seeing people personally affected by job loss in this, but have you followed the news on this virus at all?

I would recommend doing some reading on what worked and didn't work in various countries and how the "flattening the curve" strategy came to be widely accepted and implemented and likely saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

The initial shutdown was all about flattening the curve, but you can't just flatten the curve indefinitely so once hospitals are not overwhelmed you then have to start opening up the economy with readiness to pull back a bit if the curve needs flattening again.
I've been too depressed. I saw the initial outbreak and how it affected unaware countries doing nothing at the time. I heard about Sweden I guess. It would appear I'm a little ignorant on this. I've been doing everything I can to avoid the news and fb, pretty much laying low and drinking lots, I'm a pretty bitter guy right now. Some of the name calling from earlier hit home, maybe I am a man baby.

I realize there was need for action but I'm just surprised at how drastic it was. It's not like every country is going to handle it the same or can handle it the same. Just sucks that so many are getting screwed. Just wondering if it had to be that way.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #1482
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m curious to see when more of the Flames players start to come back to train and skate. I know there are a few nhlers in town who have started skating albeit in private sessions the last few days locally. So it’ll be interesting when it ramps up to have more players.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #1483
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

So about that hockey stuff...

Wonder if teams are going to go the route of players returning to their team’s cities for camps or they all wait until the hubs are determined and then all players head there for full camps.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #1484
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shouldn’t we be hearing about the hubs soon?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #1485
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I've been too depressed. I saw the initial outbreak and how it affected unaware countries doing nothing at the time. I heard about Sweden I guess. It would appear I'm a little ignorant on this. I've been doing everything I can to avoid the news and fb, pretty much laying low and drinking lots, I'm a pretty bitter guy right now. Some of the name calling from earlier hit home, maybe I am a man baby.

I realize there was need for action but I'm just surprised at how drastic it was. It's not like every country is going to handle it the same or can handle it the same. Just sucks that so many are getting screwed. Just wondering if it had to be that way.
I get it, and I sympathize.

I suppose the primary element to me was the virulency. Survived on surfaces, extremely contagious, etc.

Doing even a little bit less could have meant a significantly higher degree of harm, couple that with 'give an inch and they'll take a mile' and taking anything less than a hard-line stance could have been disastrous and then the whole thing spirals out of control.

Everyone knows that I'm pre-disposed to being an irrepressible ray of Sunshine, an iconic beacon of unquenchable optimism!

But for once...I think we got it right.

Now...I've been working for many months straight, through an Apocalypse, survived the murder hornets, avoided tornadoes and meatbag Armageddon and we have nowhere to go and nothing to do...lets get those sticks on the ice!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-08-2020, 12:23 AM   #1486
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's hard to really mentally grasp the danger of Covid-19, but I think this graph is very helpful in putting it in perspective.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...tLZwDjpqnHK4xg
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #1487
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Shouldn’t we be hearing about the hubs soon?
Two weeks ago, Bettman said they wanted to pick the hubs within 2-4 weeks ... Of course, that was before the whole world exploded, so it will likely be closer to the 4 weeks than the 2.

I'd guess that Minneapolis-St Paul is out of the running now.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #1488
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Two weeks ago, Bettman said they wanted to pick the hubs within 2-4 weeks ... Of course, that was before the whole world exploded, so it will likely be closer to the 4 weeks than the 2.

I'd guess that Minneapolis-St Paul is out of the running now.
Why? Did something happen there?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:55 AM   #1489
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why? Did something happen there?
NSFW!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:08 AM   #1490
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
All I know is I'm 37 and I have to start over, until the next big thing happens of course. So what's the point of even trying? My whole adult life working towards a future that doesn't exist now because of a virus that has a 0.2% death rate according to the CDC.
Quote:
Meh. I lost my job over this ####. Probably going to lose my house too. I have a right to be pissed.
You are 37, only 37. You have plenty of time in your life to rebound financially. Yes, your situation is ####ty, but you can rebound.

I am sure there is a 37 year old somewhere in Alberta who just found out he/she has a short time to live. Without a doubt, they would gladly trade their problems for yours.

Depression sucks, trust me I know. Seek help whether it is professional or just talk to your most trusted friends or family. Change your activities, what are some of things you used to like doing but you haven't done for a while. You can get through this. It won't be easy and it won't happen overnight but it can happen. Just remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel if you choose to see it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #1491
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I know it's hard to really mentally grasp the danger of Covid-19, but I think this graph is very helpful in putting it in perspective.

That's crazy, thanks for that. Covid is pretty serious stuff. There's a million ways to die in the west, wow. Such fragile creatures we are.

Why are they trying to restart the season again? That graph tells me its irresponsible, reckless and selfish. Doomed to fail but they want that sweet, sweet moola I guess.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #1492
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
You are 37, only 37. You have plenty of time in your life to rebound financially. Yes, your situation is ####ty, but you can rebound.

I am sure there is a 37 year old somewhere in Alberta who just found out he/she has a short time to live. Without a doubt, they would gladly trade their problems for yours.

Depression sucks, trust me I know. Seek help whether it is professional or just talk to your most trusted friends or family. Change your activities, what are some of things you used to like doing but you haven't done for a while. You can get through this. It won't be easy and it won't happen overnight but it can happen. Just remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel if you choose to see it.
I appreciate the advice, thanks, even if i'm pretty sure my quality of life will never be the same. TBH i was drunk yesterday and probably should not have been posting. I have a decent support system that i struggle to accept their help because I'm also bipolar as well as insanely depressed, and my mood is changing day to day, hour to hour right now. I apologize to anyone I may have offended yesterday I was losing my ####. I was even picking fights on fb. Life is ####ed but at least I'm not dead.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #1493
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its going to be the literal end of the world if an actual superbug emerges. And it's probably only a matter of time.
You guys can argue all you like about the rest of what FOTP has posted, but this seems like the big thing to me... and it's pretty hard to argue about it being only a matter of time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #1494
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You guys can argue all you like about the rest of what FOTP has posted, but this seems like the big thing to me... and it's pretty hard to argue about it being only a matter of time.

This should probably all move back over to the COVID forums, but the thing I wonder about on this point is whether we will be better or worse prepared for such a super bug now. The boy who cried wolf sort of applies - even though COVID was definitely a wolf - I’m not sure that’s what North Americans will remember from this.

For the rest of the world, this was pretty good batting practice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #1495
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This should probably all move back over to the COVID forums, but the thing I wonder about on this point is whether we will be better or worse prepared for such a super bug now.
The problem is that they're two different things. This is a particular type of virus, but a "superbug" is going to be an antibiotic-resistant bacteria. And it's not just going to be one that suddenly comes out of nowhere. It'll be a cascade of them, steadily getting harder and harder to treat. It's literally a different animal.

Gearing up for a response to another coronavirus is actually reasonably straightforward, if governments want to prioritize it - mostly, it involves stockpiling PPE and other equipment, funding research to deploy vaccine testing quickly and trying to do some of the work ahead of time, and probably most importantly, having more streamlined and reliable supply chains (including local manufacturing sources). In contrast, trying to prepare for superbugs requires so much fundamental change to how the medicine industry (and in particular the R&D sector) works that it's more like trying to fix racism in the United States than preparing for another episode like the one we just had.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #1496
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

Also shocking how many have died from malaria and murder since Jan. 1st.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #1497
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Also shocking how many have died from malaria and murder since Jan. 1st.
Not just since January 1st... this is just business as usual for malaria. This is why malaria charities consistently sit at or near the top of the list when it comes to effective altruism and doing the most good per dollar for your charitable donation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #1498
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This should probably all move back over to the COVID forums, but the thing I wonder about on this point is whether we will be better or worse prepared for such a super bug now. The boy who cried wolf sort of applies - even though COVID was definitely a wolf - I’m not sure that’s what North Americans will remember from this.

For the rest of the world, this was pretty good batting practice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thing is with a true superbug, a lot of the measures probably won't be as effective, not nearly. We will get laid to waste if we encounter a bug 3x - 5x as deadly as corona. All the social distancing in the world won't matter, life will be over as we know it. The economy will be dead and buried and hundreds of millions would die. Every city would be creating mass graves and makeshift hospitals. I don't think this is batting practice at all. It would be a whole different sport.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #1499
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
From an Alberta-like town in BC. Know what's it's like to live reliant on oil and gas. Seen many friends screwed over.

Running out of time. By the time I'm retrained in a new profession and making what I was making, which probably won't happen, I'll be in my 40s. This is the second time a stock market crash has hurt my retirement too. A retirement that's looking more and more like a pipe dream. The way the world's going I'll be working until I die because of forces outside of my control. Probably won't own another house either. I'm going friggin backwards.
I just want to say that there are a lot of companies in Calgary hiring software developers right now, as in we literally had two new hires start today, even with everything going on. There's a ton of resource online for learning to code, so it's something you can work on while stuck at home.

One of my favourites is https://automatetheboringstuff.com/. It focuses on teaching practical scripting that can be useful to anybody who spends a lot of time on the computer, even if you never go into a career in software.

Reddit has a ton of resources, way more than I can write here. The University of Helsinki has some free courses that I've heard very good things about. As does Stanford and MIT.

SAIT also has a fast track program which my previous company has hired a lot of graduates from. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you, or anybody else, are looking to make a career change and want to talk more about software development, feel free to reach out. I'm always happy to chat.

Last edited by Pellanor; 06-08-2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #1500
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know we are sidetracking the thread, but this is much more important.

AHS has some services available on the mental health side of things:

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...SAAEgKdrfD_BwE

Don't ever be to proud to ask for help. If anyone wants to talk, send me a note and I will call you. I have no expertise in this area, but can listen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread