Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2024, 08:34 PM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rooney seems like a good pro and seemed excited to come to Calgary. It kind of sucks that the contract was an overpay, but you can't blame him for taking it. He also wasn't blocking any young guys, as he was sent down the AHL eventually, and to his credit, he looked like he was having fun there and wasn't pouty.

It's quite possible that this is the end of the NHL road for Rooney and they are going to get him into some games so he can go out relish the experience a little longer. He missed a lot of time with injuries, and before that was demoted the the AHL. It won't be too surprising if he never gets another NHL contract after this one.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:34 PM   #42
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Greer will be missed. Probably would have gotten a 3rd at deadline. Re-sign AJ.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burn13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 08:42 PM   #43
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't been impressed with Coronato so far.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
he has an elite shot, just needs to work on other things...he has been great in the AHL. Even in games against high end top prospects he sticks out in a good way.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #45
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that Coronato is too good for the AHL already, but he is basically dominating. I think he just needs a regular shift in the NHL with decent linemates, and he will start tracking well there too. I think the NHL is just a little bit quicker for everything, and having a long rope will probably help him a lot more.

With the Lindholm deal, the Flames aren't exactly going to be 'trying to win', so developing players + getting others back on track (Kuzmenko and Huberdeau especially) are probably the priorities for now. Coronato should and probably will have a long rope, as will Pelletier. Bench players that don't play hard, reward players that perform well, but the shift is for the future, not today.

I think Huska is a good coach for this - seems to be a good enough players coach that the team can be lose and have a bit more fun, but he isn't afraid to bench guys either. He will be the most important piece moving forward in establishing a proper culture in the organization. Hartley's Flames might have been a bunch of misfits, but that team had a lot of swagger and they were an incredibly hard working team. Hopefully Huska can replicate that without the 'backstage antics'. It is time to prioritize development.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:06 PM   #46
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Coronato just needs a bit more mass to handle the NHL. Maybe try to get more explosive on his skates. The rest is waiting for those things to catch up.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:10 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn13 View Post
Greer will be missed. Probably would have gotten a 3rd at deadline. Re-sign AJ.
Good Pro and theres going to be a lot of young guys. Its not a bad idea.

You do need the grinders and muckers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #48
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think Coronato just needs a bit more mass to handle the NHL. Maybe try to get more explosive on his skates. The rest is waiting for those things to catch up.
He looks physically outmatched. That will come with age and offseason training hopefully. He has things others don’t though. So just need to be patient
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 PM   #49
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Coronato looks better and better the more he plays in the NHL. Prior to the break he was hitting his stride. Just needs those reps.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah, he needs a little more strength.

He also needs to just get that comfort level in the NHL. Sutter always talked about it taking a couple years, or about 100 games to just 'get it' and have the game slow down for a player.

Both of those issues can be solved with a good summer of training, then have a good camp and a reset next year. I am not at all worried about Coronato, even though he just isn't there at the moment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:03 PM   #51
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, he needs a little more strength.

He also needs to just get that comfort level in the NHL. Sutter always talked about it taking a couple years, or about 100 games to just 'get it' and have the game slow down for a player.

Both of those issues can be solved with a good summer of training, then have a good camp and a reset next year. I am not at all worried about Coronato, even though he just isn't there at the moment.
No doubt he could use all this and I think he’s right on track to be a top six forward in the NHL. Honestly, I think he has looked good in the games he’s recently been up with the big club. He’s getting some great scoring chances and created chances for his teammates. He’s carried the puck with speed/confidence and made some skilled plays. Hasn’t put up much for points so far but I think he is passing the eye test for the most part. Could use some more strength overall on his skates... which will come with training this summer I think.

Can’t forget that it can also be hard for a rookie to play with Kadri. I know he has done well with Zary and Posposil but I personally think they deserve most of that credit themselves. Kadri has gotten better this year though and that line has been fantastic for the flames… but I still find him to be a bit of a puck hog with the young guys sometimes. I watched one of the recent games with Coronato on Kadri’s line and I’m pretty sure Kadri went the entire game without passing to Coronato once. Not trying to rant on Kadri cause I’m sure it can also be an adjustment to Coronato’s game. He’s used to having the puck more and controlling the play himself… Kadri really seems like he wants the young guys to defer to him to set up the plays and have them just get to where he wants them to be.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #52
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somebody needs to hook Coronato up with Gary Roberts. Roberts would get that guy into NHL shape in a hurry.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:34 AM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
No doubt he could use all this and I think he’s right on track to be a top six forward in the NHL. Honestly, I think he has looked good in the games he’s recently been up with the big club. He’s getting some great scoring chances and created chances for his teammates. He’s carried the puck with speed/confidence and made some skilled plays. Hasn’t put up much for points so far but I think he is passing the eye test for the most part. Could use some more strength overall on his skates... which will come with training this summer I think.

Can’t forget that it can also be hard for a rookie to play with Kadri. I know he has done well with Zary and Posposil but I personally think they deserve most of that credit themselves. Kadri has gotten better this year though and that line has been fantastic for the flames… but I still find him to be a bit of a puck hog with the young guys sometimes. I watched one of the recent games with Coronato on Kadri’s line and I’m pretty sure Kadri went the entire game without passing to Coronato once. Not trying to rant on Kadri cause I’m sure it can also be an adjustment to Coronato’s game. He’s used to having the puck more and controlling the play himself… Kadri really seems like he wants the young guys to defer to him to set up the plays and have them just get to where he wants them to be.
I don’t think that’s what makes it hard to play with Kadri, I think that’s what makes it easy.

Kadri is the center, a veteran, and a Stanley Cup winner. Rookies on his wing should probably defer to him and by all accounts his message to them is always one of improvement, finding the gaps, and the little things guys can tweak.

Coronato’s lack of production have been squarely on Coronato, and if he’s used to being able to control the play himself he needs to build up the ability to actually do that. Right now he gets pushed around and out skated too easily. But tons of skill there, so he’ll figure it out.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 10:27 AM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I couldn't watch the Boston game. How did Pelletier look and which linemates did he play with?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:42 AM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I couldn't watch the Boston game. How did Pelletier look and which linemates did he play with?
He looked fine, and mostly played fourth line, though he filled in for Pospisil somewhat in the third. He doesn't have elite skill or anything, but he's game, plays decent defensively, and works hard.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:44 AM   #56
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
I had questions about Zary before this season. Give him some time.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote