Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #2161
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
An Xbox One X is the most powerful console you can get right now...what makes it a "poverty box"?

Nothing at all I love my Xbox. Just making fun of the comments I see by PC gamers now and then.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #2162
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kingdom Hearts 3 is on gamepass and it's super duper fun. Looks like a cheesy kids game at first, but it's actually pretty exciting. The fighting system is deep and challenging. Levels are well designed and fun to explore. Full of epic boss battles and sweet graphics.

Highly recommend it if you need a good escape.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #2163
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for an Xbox One game that I could play with my five year old? We play NHL but I'm looking for something a bit easier for him to get into. Something downloadable on the store?

Edit - and for two players. Something we can play together. I don't want games where I just turn him loose on the Xbox alone.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #2164
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Any recommendations for an Xbox One game that I could play with my five year old? We play NHL but I'm looking for something a bit easier for him to get into. Something downloadable on the store?

Edit - and for two players. Something we can play together. I don't want games where I just turn him loose on the Xbox alone.
I'd get a month or two of game pass. Comes with games like Rocket League, Minecraft, Disney Rush, Lego Worlds, Overcooked, Lego Ninjago/Star wars, and lots more to try out.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #2165
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cost of that? You get full versions of games?

And then do you pay for the games on top of that?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #2166
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 5 year old’s favorite Xbox games are:

Goat Simulator
Lego Worlds
Human Fall Flat

These all have co-op multiplayer and are available on Game Pass.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #2167
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cost of that? You get full versions of games?

And then do you pay for the games on top of that?
It's like $10 a month and you can play unlimited games. It has games like GTAV, Halo, Gears, etc. as well that you could play. And yes, you get the full versions of games.

Here's a link... https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass#join
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #2168
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can probably get 1-3 months for $1 subscribing through your Xbox One depending on what promo is going on.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #2169
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it looks like it's 1 dollar for the first month. I'll give it a go. I'd like to avoid an ongoing monthly fee ultimately but I'll check it out. Thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #2170
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Riverbond! Honestly you'll both love this game. Very easy and simple to play. It's basically a simplified dungeon crawler with funny characters and silly weapons.

Easy to play and fun for coop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #2171
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask, but I've got another issue.

The reason I stopped playing my xbox one years ago is my wireless controllers were giving me issues, and they still are. They won't stay connected and they're next to impossible to re-sync. I've tried all the fixes online and nothing works. Their firmware is up to date, I've moved my xbox away from other things like the router and modem, I've tried to sync wirelessly and connected via USB. The only way I can get my controllers to work is to remove the batteries and just play via USB. Which is OK, I guess, but it doesn't solve the issue. I should be able to play wirelessly. Because I have two controllers with the exact same issue, is this likely an issue with the xbox itself? All software and firmware seems up to date. It is an old xbox and old controllers, but I don't know how old. Four years at least.

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #2172
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask, but I've got another issue.

The reason I stopped playing my xbox one years ago is my wireless controllers were giving me issues, and they still are. They won't stay connected and they're next to impossible to re-sync. I've tried all the fixes online and nothing works. Their firmware is up to date, I've moved my xbox away from other things like the router and modem, I've tried to sync wirelessly and connected via USB. The only way I can get my controllers to work is to remove the batteries and just play via USB. Which is OK, I guess, but it doesn't solve the issue. I should be able to play wirelessly. Because I have two controllers with the exact same issue, is this likely an issue with the xbox itself? All software and firmware seems up to date. It is an old xbox and old controllers, but I don't know how old. Four years at least.

Any ideas?
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...to+the+console

does this fix work?

When you connect via USB, where are you connecting to? xbox or wall outlet. If it works with wall outlet, it's likely the controller itself only. If it works only if plugged to the xbox, it's something about the wifi communication between the two.

For anyone dusting off their consoles, PSN now and xbox game pass are excellent options to try a bit of everything for a month or two before settling on considering purchasing a specific game. It's like Netflix streaming/rental of a ton of full games at a reasonable price.

PSN now and Game pass don't really make sense for someone who has a reasonable personal library built up already though IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #2173
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will mention for anyone who’s not a game pass subscriber already, if you extend your live subscription (up to 3 years) you can use the $1 game pass ultimate deal to get three years of game pass for basically the cost of your live subscription

I doubt I’ll keep subscribed 3 years from now but ill make the most of it while I have it
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #2174
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...to+the+console

does this fix work?

When you connect via USB, where are you connecting to? xbox or wall outlet. If it works with wall outlet, it's likely the controller itself only. If it works only if plugged to the xbox, it's something about the wifi communication between the two.

For anyone dusting off their consoles, PSN now and xbox game pass are excellent options to try a bit of everything for a month or two before settling on considering purchasing a specific game. It's like Netflix streaming/rental of a ton of full games at a reasonable price.

PSN now and Game pass don't really make sense for someone who has a reasonable personal library built up already though IMO.
It stays connected when using usb with the Xbox but not wirelessly. I bought some long USB cables and I'm now resigned to just using it that way. It became too frustrating to try and troubleshoot this anymore unfortunately.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #2175
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I will mention for anyone who’s not a game pass subscriber already, if you extend your live subscription (up to 3 years) you can use the $1 game pass ultimate deal to get three years of game pass for basically the cost of your live subscription

I doubt I’ll keep subscribed 3 years from now but ill make the most of it while I have it
Although you mentioned it in your first sentence, I'd like to reiterate that this is for new subscribers only. If you are a new subscriber, it's well worth it to buy the 3 years of Gold and then do the one-time $1 upgrade to upgrade those 3 years. When I upgraded I only did it for 1 year, and I am regretting it as now as I look for a way to upgrade to GPU for cheap.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #2176
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I do it if I had Gold previously but don't have it now?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #2177
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It stays connected when using usb with the Xbox but not wirelessly. I bought some long USB cables and I'm now resigned to just using it that way. It became too frustrating to try and troubleshoot this anymore unfortunately.
Dang that sucks.

I'm curious if the newer controllers with bluetooth would work fine or if they'd be just more of the same frustrations.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #2178
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Can I do it if I had Gold previously but don't have it now?
It’s for new game pass subscribers.

So buy 3 years worth of gold (i think the only way to do this is by buying codes, either online or from the convenience stores), add them to your account, and then do the $1 game pass ultimate upgrade.

You might run into a problem where you can’t add the third year to your account if you accept the “turn on auto-renew for an extra free month” option, since MS doesn’t let you have a subscription lasting more than three years from today’s date. I ran into that so I only got two years and 4 months or something but good enough for me.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #2179
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Dang that sucks.

I'm curious if the newer controllers with bluetooth would work fine or if they'd be just more of the same frustrations.
Yeah I don't know. I don't really want to sink a bunch more money into this thing when it's going to be obsolete by the end of this year. The usb cables are working so at least this thing isn't a total brick anymore. They've been out of commission for like two years and I haven't bothered to try and fix it.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #2180
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't know. I don't really want to sink a bunch more money into this thing when it's going to be obsolete by the end of this year. The usb cables are working so at least this thing isn't a total brick anymore. They've been out of commission for like two years and I haven't bothered to try and fix it.
It's probably worth noting that Xbox One controllers will be comparable with the Series X.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote