Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's not that there was no internet, social media was in it's infancy and individuals didn't have the outlet they have today.

In 2006 there was no twitter, and Facebook was still just a tool for college students.

Now if there is a faulty device that person can instantly share that in seconds. That is different then in 2006.
Could have sworn in seconds I could have posted at any forum in 2006 that I was having issues. I don't think that twitter is a factor here at all.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Plus there's far more actual units out there than with the PS3.

So even if the percentage of PS4 owners on the Internet talking about their failures was exactly the same as the PS3, you're going to hear far more people complaining about failures even if the failure rate is identical to the PS3 simply because there's 5 times as many units out there. Only if there was more than 5 times the complaining vs. the PS3 AND one could demonstrate that the percentage of people that went online to complain was the same could one even begin to draw the conclusion that the failure rate of the PS4 is higher than the PS3.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sony says they sold over 1 million units on launch day with an estimated 0.4% failure/defect rate.

That's 4000 units with defects. If only 10% of those people reported failures across social media/internet, that'd be 400 complaints in the first day which stand out regardless of the other 996,000 good consoles out there.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/42154071

Sony has released a guide to address these issues.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not that there was no internet, social media was in it's infancy and individuals didn't have the outlet they have today.

In 2006 there was no twitter, and Facebook was still just a tool for college students.

Now if there is a faulty device that person can instantly share that in seconds. That is different then in 2006.
There are different outlets now, yes. If you think gamers weren't all over the internet instantly bitching to anyone who would listen if their new consoles bricked or stopped working when last gen launched, you're just wrong. Word spread just as fast among gamers then as it would now.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #26
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your argument holds more truth for the release of the PS2 from back in 2000. The internet had less users and was less prevalent in peoples lives in 2000 compared to today. I didn't know for a few years that my release day PS2 was supposedly problematic. It also helps that I still have my release day PS2 and I only had to get the laser adjusted after dropping it in transit. That PS2 still functions as a DVD player in our workout room, and the odd/rare weekend of playing older games.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
There are different outlets now, yes. If you think gamers weren't all over the internet instantly bitching to anyone who would listen if their new consoles bricked or stopped working when last gen launched, you're just wrong. Word spread just as fast among gamers then as it would now.
The key here is among gamers. Among message boards. The amount of gamers posting on message boards even today is negligible versus the enormous user bases on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but if you think people won't remove you from their newsfeed for posting nerd #### on Facebook you're mostly wrong.

Talking to the unwashed console masses, there are still a ####ton of normals who don't read anything related to gaming at all, and only knew about the new consoles from commercials.

These are the people that buy on perceived brand loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put this in the Thunderdome thread but looks like Sony is taking care of the rare issue:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...mediately.aspx

“There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units,” a Sony representative tells Game Informer. “We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction.

We inquired about repair and replacement times for those consumers that choose to approach Sony directly rather than attempt a fix through a retailer. The representative gave us some good news.

“SCEA is exchanging units with new replacements for those who call our support line,” he says. “The exchanges are immediate with expedited shipping.”

Our Take
Defective units are a fact of any mass market electronics launch, and having it fixed quickly is the second-best thing to not needing repair or replacement at all. If your retailer can’t help you with an immediate exchange, call Sony support and you should be up and running quickly.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Could have sworn in seconds I could have posted at any forum in 2006 that I was having issues. I don't think that twitter is a factor here at all.
The first iPhone wasn't even released yet during the PS3 launch. The world is far more wired into instantaneous bitching and moaning now than it ever was back in '06, and just as importantly, if not more so, it's far easier to get access to said bitching and moaning now than it was then.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
The first iPhone wasn't even released yet during the PS3 launch. The world is far more wired into instantaneous bitching and moaning now than it ever was back in '06, and just as importantly, if not more so, it's far easier to get access to said bitching and moaning now than it was then.
I'm reading your post from my computer and typing my replay the exact same as I would have when the PS3 launched. Enough excuses already. So they had some issues wether it be 4000 or more as long as they get people set up promptly with new one's it's not the end of the world.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm reading your post from my computer and typing my replay the exact same as I would have when the PS3 launched. Enough excuses already. So they had some issues wether it be 4000 or more as long as they get people set up promptly with new one's it's not the end of the world.
But it's not an excuse, just an explanation of the internet landscape back in 2006 vs. 2013. You can't tell me you don't notice the way more trivial bitching and moaning that goes on now that social media has gone mainstream vs. in 2006, where everything was more or less restricted to gaming forums.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who's talking about trivial bitching and moaning? This is about launch hardware failing. Anyone who got a lemon console at launch is just as connected now as they would have been 7 years ago, in terms of communicating it and hearing about it.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still don't agree.

Forums were and are still a very Niche method for an individual to get their individual experience across.

A very small portion of the internet population posts on forums, whereas pretty much everybody has a Facebook, Twitter, etc account.

Were there options available in 2006? Yes. Are the options much more widespread, readily available and widely adopted by the masses in 2013? Yes

People were connected to the internet in 2006, but in 2013 we have many more options available to get our own personal experience out to people instantaneously and that wasn't the case 7/8 years ago.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #35
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

One good example would be the Amazon.com reviews for both releases. Amazon started around 1994 and the PS3 released in 2006. I looked at the reviews for both the PS4 and the 20 gig PS3 and found the following:

PS3 Launch Edition
Release Sales by end of Q3 - 1.68 Million
Amazon Reviews by end of Q3 - 37

PS4 Launch Edition
Release Sales so far - No figures but over 1 Million
Amazon Reviews so far - 3,111

I only added this because a lot of people were pointing to the negative reviews on amazon before. Also, the PS3 above was the only one with 2006 reviews, so I'm pretty sure the comparison is accurate but I could be wrong.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Still don't agree.

Forums were and are still a very Niche method for an individual to get their individual experience across.

A very small portion of the internet population posts on forums, whereas pretty much everybody has a Facebook, Twitter, etc account.

Were there options available in 2006? Yes. Are the options much more widespread, readily available and widely adopted by the masses in 2013? Yes

People were connected to the internet in 2006, but in 2013 we have many more options available to get our own personal experience out to people instantaneously and that wasn't the case 7/8 years ago.
You're talking in broad terms about internet usage, when the reality is that people who buy a console at launch and experienced problems would be just as connected in 2006 as now. Are there more people on larger platforms now? Yes. But people who buy this stuff at launch are going to be all over the place online, not just on social media. And the message amongst that group would get out just as fast 7 years ago as it would today. It did. All of the 360 problems were widely known without the prevalence of facebook, twitter, pinterest, tumblr, instagram, and whatever else.

I don't even know what we're discussing anymore. The hardware has has problems at launch. Hopefully it's addressed appropriately for people with bad hardware, and hopefully production of bad hardware can be corrected quickly and easily in order to minimize the impact on consumers.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Small sample size but I sold 7 and no one had had a single issue.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Small sample size but I sold 7 and no one had had a single issue.
Haha, what? Or wait, do you run/work at a store?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #39
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Haha, what? Or wait, do you run/work at a store?
Nope, I just ordered some extras online on June 11th when they started taking pre-orders so I could sell them and make some extra cash to pay for my own.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
PS3 Launch Edition
Release Sales by end of Q3 - 1.68 Million
Amazon Reviews by end of Q3 - 37

PS4 Launch Edition
Release Sales so far - No figures but over 1 Million
Amazon Reviews so far - 3,111
And you can leave a review without ever having purchased the console on Amazon.com at all. You can see a couple hundred of 1 star troll posts if you sort by "helpful".

Here's a typical example, lol:

Most of bad feedback on ps4 are FAKEOps..this is a fake feedback...and most of this 1 star feed are fake...people are going mad for this, very good -_-
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: