Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #1141
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good God is it painful to go back to PS4 loading times when you've been playing off a PC SSD for the last month.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #1142
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost everything about a console I just can't do anymore. The controllers, lower graphics, lower refresh rates, load times, pay to be online. Even games I love I don't play. I'll fire it up for NHL or MLB but that's it, even Red Dead 2 I got maybe 30% of the way through and decided to hold out for a PC version

Last edited by btimbit; 05-14-2019 at 11:56 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #1143
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This looks cool, something different, I think it's supposed to be a stealth game and I like those.

This game looks really interesting and it's getting pretty good reviews. I may have to pick it up.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #1144
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Almost everything about a console I just can't do anymore. The controllers, lower graphics, lower refresh rates, load times, pay to be online. Even games I love I don't play. I'll fire it up for NHL or MLB but that's it, even Red Dead 2 I got maybe 30% of the way through and decided to hold out for a PC version
Yeah I wanted to play XCOM 2 on my PS4 because I got it for free a while back with my PS Plus subscription but the load times are just killing any enjoyment for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #1145
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Good God is it painful to go back to PS4 loading times when you've been playing off a PC SSD for the last month.

Put a SSD in your PS4? Made a pretty solid difference on my Pro.

Couch gaming on a 4K HDR screen is a nice change from sitting in front of the computer.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #1146
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
Put a SSD in your PS4? Made a pretty solid difference on my Pro.

Couch gaming on a 4K HDR screen is a nice change from sitting in front of the computer.
My PC is setup in my living room and connected to my TV. I also have Steam and Xbox One controllers for when I don't want to use a mouse. Doesn't really make sense to pay extra for an external SSD in that situation but I may bite the bullet and do so if I see one go on sale for a decent price.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #1147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I wanted to play XCOM 2 on my PS4 because I got it for free a while back with my PS Plus subscription but the load times are just killing any enjoyment for me.
We're so spoiled by SSDs. I just started another playthrough of XCOM2 yesterday and installed in on an HDD since my ssd is almost full and the difference was huge.

That's definitely one I couldn't play on console. Without a mouse would feel so odd to me
Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #1148
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently reinstalled GTAV because I was feelin' shooty-runny-overy, and for the first time put it on my NVMe drive, and man it even takes like, 15 seconds to load the game on that thing. I couldn't even imagine what it's like on a spin drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #1149
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It takes 'wander away out of boredom and forget about it for an hour' long IIRC.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #1150
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're so spoiled by SSDs. I just started another playthrough of XCOM2 yesterday and installed in on an HDD since my ssd is almost full and the difference was huge.

That's definitely one I couldn't play on console. Without a mouse would feel so odd to me
It's actually not too bad using a controller. Takes a bit of getting used to but they've mapped it pretty well, IMO.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #1151
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it, but any criticisms I have of controllers has more to do with me than it does the system. I just can't do it, I get that I'm the opposite of most people but unless it's a game that requires a joystick or steering wheel, anything other than a mouse and keyboard feels incredibly odd to me. It's disjointed and slow
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #1152
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't really make sense to pay extra for an external SSD in that situation but I may bite the bullet and do so if I see one go on sale for a decent price.
Flash memory has been in freefall over the last year or so, reasonable quality 1 TB SSDs are down to $130:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01K8A29E6/
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #1153
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Couldn't resist Civ 6 on sale on Steam, bye long weekend
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #1154
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mad at myself for not checking the humble bundle store more often. Almost bought the Xcom 2 expansion for $50 on steam, turns out it was 50% off on Humble. And that gets you the steam key, literally the exact same product
Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #1155
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this seems like fairly big news.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/16/1...ai-partnership

Quote:
Microsoft and Sony are announcing an unusual partnership today, allowing the two rivals to partner on cloud-based gaming services. “The two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services,” Microsoft said in a statement. Sony’s existing game and content-streaming services will also be powered by Microsoft Azure in the future.

Microsoft says “these efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community,” which sounds like both Sony and Microsoft are planning to partner on future services aimed at creators and the gaming community. Both companies say they will “share additional information when available,” but the partnership means Microsoft and Sony will collaborate on cloud gaming. That’s a pretty big deal, and it’s a big loss for Microsoft’s main cloud rival, Amazon.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #1156
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Mad at myself for not checking the humble bundle store more often. Almost bought the Xcom 2 expansion for $50 on steam, turns out it was 50% off on Humble. And that gets you the steam key, literally the exact same product
It looks like it's 50% off on Steam now too. I need to get back into that game.

In other steam news, there's now a Steam Link app for iOS so you can play games using your Apple TV. Controller support sucks but if it's the only box you have connected to your TV at least you have the option now. It works on iPhone and iPad too.

Octopath Traveller is coming to PC on June 7th. It's a great RPG and worth getting if you don't already have it on Switch.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #1157
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It looks like it's 50% off on Steam now too. I need to get back into that game.
75% off for the entire collection. I bit the bullet and went with that. $50 for countless hours of enjoyment seems like a fair deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #1158
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resident Evil 2 is $40 on Green Man Gaming. I'm tempted.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #1159
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the steam version of xcom as well! Liked the main game on ps4 but it's hard and load times were killing me. I swear I'm getting through the game 75% faster on pc (wuicksaves and reloads)
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #1160
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m the lady assassin in AC Odyssey. I just had sex with an NPC and since it was the last action of the mission I ended up getting paid for completing a quest at the exact moment the game showed my character coming out of his hut the next morning.

Now I’m a lady assassin and a prostitute. But I have sweet new helmet and some drachmas to show for it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: