Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default iPad Email Question

My iPad is mainly used as a remote for music during parties. Thus it is passed around a lot and I don't use it for anything too personal.
One thing I do use it for is sending out emails. I don't need to receive any on it though and have it set so that it doesn't receive any unless I go into the app.
Unfortunately I went into my email app a few times before and there are now emails within. Is there anyway I can empty all emails (inbox, sent, etc) without actually deleting them from my other systems?

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Guided access might be easier, you can set it so one app only can be shown and if they try to get out of the app it'll prompt for a password:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5509
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Delete all email accounts from the ipad. Mark all messages read from another device, probably your computer. And re-add the accounts into the ipad. But you will face the same problem over time as new messages get delivered to account.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

What you are looking for is a POP3 email account. Telus and Shaw offer them; however I think by default they now give you IMAP accounts. IMAP works the way you describe (and similar to an Exchange environment)- if you delete a message on one device it erases from all devices.

But with POP3, you can erase messages on the iPad and they will still be in your webmail/ home PC.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
What you are looking for is a POP3 email account. Telus and Shaw offer them; however I think by default they now give you IMAP accounts. IMAP works the way you describe (and similar to an Exchange environment)- if you delete a message on one device it erases from all devices.

But with POP3, you can erase messages on the iPad and they will still be in your webmail/ home PC.
This advice misses a key point. The POP3 has to be set up in a way that the messages are not downloaded from the server to your ipad, but your home computer is set up to download them. I haven't found a setting in the ipad that allows you to leave a copy on the server.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Change you email password prior to the party, and then switch it back after the party. The iPad won't be able to login during the party. Archive the ones you've already loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
This advice misses a key point. The POP3 has to be set up in a way that the messages are not downloaded from the server to your ipad, but your home computer is set up to download them. I haven't found a setting in the ipad that allows you to leave a copy on the server.
I think it leaves a copy on the server by default. I have my POP3 email setup on my iPhone, and even if my home computer is powered off during the day, it will grab all my email that went to my phone throughout the day.

I do also have Outlook at home set to leave a copy on the server; there are times I accidentally delete something from my iPhone; and have to use Webmail to access the message.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: