Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, I liked Bob. There is a general understanding that he was a hard ass and I am confident that the reality is different than what a lot of people have in their heads

Tanguay said Hartley was demanding but made him a better player, and called Bob for advice when he wasn’t coaching him

Johnny attended his hockey camp as a guest counsellor after he was fired and spoke nicely of him

It was mentioned by someone here with connection to the team that the kids liked Hartley and the veterans hated him

Sarich said Bob wouldn’t let them pass backwards, and that after he had been scratched 11 games and had some beers, Hartley dressed him to show him up. A proud and bitter guy on the back 9

I guess it was the opposite of when he scratched Johnny, Monny and Bouma after the super bowl

So we have found out that the coach who was brought in to clean up the country club, instill work ethic and accountability turned out to be demanding.
If this is what Hartley was charged with doing in Calgary, then it is fair to say that he failed, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hartley ordered guys with concussion issues who didn’t want to fight to go do it or be demoted to the AHL. Sarich says he’s the worst coach he ever had. Roy destroyed Hartley’s office, he hated him so much. McGratton hated him. Kipper as well. And he is two-faced - Mr. Congeniality with the press, a-hole with the players. At least with Sutter what you saw was who he was. Hartley also played favourites big time, according to some ex-players.
Not saying any of that isn’t true. But, as Bob would say, “I’m coaching elite athletes, I’m not running a nursing home.”

You want to lead 30 guys for six months to achieve a virtually impossible goal, you’re going to need to play some mind games and push some buttons. You just are.

Nobody had a negative thing to say about Babcock when he was going to the Finals, winning the Cup, or winning back to back Olympic gold medals and a World Cup - he coaches the Leafs to a few middling seasons and all of a sudden it’s “OMG did you hear what he did to Mitch Marner???”

Please.

On the “making guys with concussions fight” point, a couple things.

1: for the entirety of Hartley’s career, concussions were not treated with the seriousness they are now. You can say that’s right or wrong, but if that happened now, it would be handled differently.

2: the dude in question (I have vague memories of this story) was a face-punching type. If he’s not punching faces, he has no place in the NHL - it’s not like Hartley was going to slot him alongside Forsberg and Sakic on the PP.

Hartley is a gigantic #######. That seems pretty inarguable. But I’ll end with a quote from Steve Shutt on Scotty Bowman:

"You hated him 364 days years, and on the 365th day you got your Stanley Cup ring."

If you don’t wanna play that way, don’t play that way. You just won’t get a ring, or your name on that trophy. Hartley has both.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talked about Babcock before the Marner thing. Have you never heard Commodore?

Yes, Parker was a tough guy. But if a kid tells you “I’m not good - I can’t fight today”, or, as he once said “I think my foot may be broken” even a tough guy coach doesn’t say “get out there and fight or pack your bags for Hershey”. Sarich played for Sutter and Hartley. So did McGrattan. They don’t say the same things.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bob wasn't perfect and in a lot of ways wasn't fair,

But he gave you better hockey than Gulutzan and Ward without question.

I don't think you can get away with being nice and fair with this team and also get good efforts from them on a regular basis.

Must admit I like the idea of no backwards passes.

I'd love to eliminate those drop passes for all eternity.

In the end players will work harder for a guy they have to impress to see the ice that is unafraid to put them in their place.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-01-2021 at 02:20 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People talked about Babcock before the Marner thing. Have you never heard Commodore?

Yes, Parker was a tough guy. But if a kid tells you “I’m not good - I can’t fight today”, or, as he once said “I think my foot may be broken” even a tough guy coach doesn’t say “get out there and fight or pack your bags for Hershey”. Sarich played for Sutter and Hartley. So did McGrattan. They don’t say the same things.
Yes, Mike Commodore hates Babcock and has every reason. Nobody had a problem with it (at least not really) because Commodore was Commodore. He was a veteran D with no offensive upside, and when you’re that type of player, your coach is either going to love you to death or hate that you’re taking up a roster spot from a younger better player. Just like Sarich.

Mitch Marner was a young star player. You can’t treat him like you would Commodore or Sarich.

That’s why Babcock is coaching in Saskatoon.

Not because his behaviour is so far beyond the pale of what is expected from NHL coaches - the most egregious Babcock story to me is scratching Mike Modano and preventing him from getting 1500 career games.

That’s disrespectful to a player of Modano’s stature.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #26
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sarich played for Sutter and Hartley. So did McGrattan. They don’t say the same things.
Are we talking Brent or Darryl? No One cares about how Brent Sutter was as a coach to the players.

Neither one had Darryl Sutter for a coach

Last edited by Red_Baron; 03-01-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This could be like that scene in Arrested Development when George Sr. and Oscar fight each other, and neither one could land a shot because they both thought alike and knew exactly what the other would do. Only difference being Hartley will use Bobby Knights Toilet tactic to motivate his guys and Peters will be dunking their heads in the toilets to coax more out of them.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The 14-15 team was so much more fun than the 1st in the West team - that group played awful hockey for 2 months down the stretch, and had their doors blown off in a manner that was unbecoming of their regular season.

Strong case to be made that the 2019 Flames are the worst 1st place team of the cap era.
Ummm, the exact same thing happened to Tampa that year...in fact they were swept, the Flames won a game.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #29
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Ummm, the exact same thing happened to Tampa that year...in fact they were swept, the Flames won a game.
Everything that’s happened to Tampa since makes it clear the Columbus sweep was a lucky punch.

The Flames are still wobbly from what MacKinnon did to them.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #30
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect this game to be blacked out on NHL Live.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #31
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a fan of the team listening to the coach Bob was always far more charming and entertaining. I didn’t like the Peters hire from day 1 so I would hope Hartley wins in this battle. That jersey hype video was something else
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Not because his behaviour is so far beyond the pale of what is expected from NHL coaches - the most egregious Babcock story to me is scratching Mike Modano and preventing him from getting 1500 career games.

That’s disrespectful to a player of Modano’s stature.
That alone is reason to hate Babcock, complete D-Bag move for no reason.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #33
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I miss Bob that was a fun year. Anybody like that left in the league? I think we need another a hole around here. Or at least someone that runs their practices like he did that team was very well conditioned.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #34
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That line brawl in Vancouver was awesome. Then between periods Torts is trying to get in the Flames dressing room and Bob pops his head out with the big f u and back in the room (with McGrattan between them). Even if it was manufactured it was true emotion that is non-existent anywhere in today’s game.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I miss Bob that was a fun year. Anybody like that left in the league? I think we need another a hole around here. Or at least someone that runs their practices like he did that team was very well conditioned.
I’d love a spin with Tortorella.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You realize he was here for 4 years.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #37
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You realize he was here for 4 years.
Yes and now he is not and no longer in the league?
Old 03-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and now he is not and no longer in the league?
For good reason. 3 of his 4 years here were miserable. And no one else wants him.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #39
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For good reason. 3 of his 4 years here were miserable. And no one else wants him.
I like him . That team hustled their assess off and it was fun to watch. Id totally give Torts a shot if he gets let go. Cant be any worse.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #40
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like him . That team hustled their assess off and it was fun to watch. Id totally give Torts a shot if he gets let go. Cant be any worse.
I actually can’t think of a coach in the last decade who consistently gets more out of less than Torts.

He lost an MVP caliber forward and a Vezina winning goalie and made the playoffs anyway.

If he comes available, we should hire him.