Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2023, 04:12 PM   #8341
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Boston, at 30-4-4, need to do precisely nothing. I wouldn’t move an inch if I was them.
what a spoiled fanbase for the past 12-13 years

loyal core of great players, typically competitive, and most years will see multiple rounds in the playoffs (thanks to facing the likes of the leafs every other year)

downside: too much kenkraft 400
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #8342
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know what it is about the Sutter system, but based on how long it takes players to fit in, I'd be wary of any kind of significant deadline move, unless its a no brainer.

Toffoli was the perfect add last year for all of the right reasons, look how long it has taken him to finally fit in consistently. We're almost half way through the season and Huberdeau and Weegar are finally starting to look more comfortable.

If Treliving really wants to make a significant add, the pro scouts had better be doing their homework to make sure the player is the right fit.

Its definitely less fun, but probably the right move to be cautious.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 02:06 PM   #8343
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I don't know what it is about the Sutter system, but based on how long it takes players to fit in, I'd be wary of any kind of significant deadline move, unless its a no brainer.

Toffoli was the perfect add last year for all of the right reasons, look how long it has taken him to finally fit in consistently. We're almost half way through the season and Huberdeau and Weegar are finally starting to look more comfortable.

If Treliving really wants to make a significant add, the pro scouts had better be doing their homework to make sure the player is the right fit.

Its definitely less fun, but probably the right move to be cautious.
That's a scary thought given how poor Flames pro scouting has been over the years. They are the guys that had a hand in Kevin Rooney getting $2.6 million to play for the Wranglers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #8344
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's a scary thought given how poor Flames pro scouting has been over the years. They are the guys that had a hand in Kevin Rooney getting $2.6 million to play for the Wranglers.
And also the guys who had a hand is getting Lindholm, Hanifin, Huberdeau, Weegar, Toffoli, Kadri, Coleman, Tanev and Zadorov, not to mention Markstrom and Vladar.

Yeah it looks like they missed on a few as well but to focus solely on a 4th line miss is hardly symbolic of their work.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #8345
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And also the guys who had a hand is getting Lindholm, Hanifin, Huberdeau, Weegar, Toffoli, Kadri, Coleman, Tanev and Zadorov, not to mention Markstrom and Vladar.

Yeah it looks like they missed on a few as well but to focus solely on a 4th line miss is hardly symbolic of their work.
You make it sound like those players were unknown commodities or something. Good scouts find the gems and it's bottom depth players where pro scouts earn their money. Vladar was a good find but after that it's pretty bleak when it comes to filling bottom 6 forward roles. Rooney, Pitlick, Simone Carpenter, Leivo, etc. are where they have really struggled.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-07-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 02:27 PM   #8346
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Rooney sucks at NHL hockey and he may not even be that good at AHL hockey either as it turns out.

Think he should try Europe soon. Spengler Cup perhaps?

Last edited by Karl; 01-07-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #8347
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You make it sound like those players were unknown commodities or something. Good scouts find the gems and it's bottom depth players where pro scouts earn their money. Vladar was a good find but after that it's pretty bleak when it comes to filling bottom 6 forward roles. Rooney, Pitlick, Simone Carpenter, Leivo, etc. are where they have really struggled.
Apparently they had a lot or good info on Czarnik as well and went out to present to him but 22 other teams had interest in him as well. So it's not always as simple as other teams see the same thing in player's.

I think the biggest issue is either over valuing leadership and not recognizing declining players(Troy Bowers) or not doing due diligence(Neal).
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #8348
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer...
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:53 PM   #8349
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

What gets me is how they overvalue guys. With all the tech and video they have available. The eye test and the analytics that are available. That Huberdeau deal starting next year at 10.5 milx8yrs WOOFTre sure felt the pressure and panicked. Their is no way he is worth that type of contract.He will be a good player and should be even better next year and also with a better linemate than Lucic but he is not worth that much. If the scouts and Tre did their homework and watched this guy actually you would know he is not worth that contract. When you will be making that much money you better be a player that can carry a team and be very impactful and noticeable on the ice and he is just not that type of player. That is an elite player contract and as we know we don't have any elite players that can just take over a game.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:06 PM   #8350
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau had 115 points and was the leading scorer on the presidents trophy winners. what did you expect him to sign for?

If he was UFA he would have gotten at least 9...then add the Calgary tax
Old 01-07-2023, 05:09 PM   #8351
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most players that are in UFA contact status get paid for past performance not what you think you will get.

You are you signing a 115 point player who set a record for assists for 8 million.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:15 PM   #8352
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
What gets me is how they overvalue guys. With all the tech and video they have available. The eye test and the analytics that are available. That Huberdeau deal starting next year at 10.5 milx8yrs WOOFTre sure felt the pressure and panicked. Their is no way he is worth that type of contract.He will be a good player and should be even better next year and also with a better linemate than Lucic but he is not worth that much. If the scouts and Tre did their homework and watched this guy actually you would know he is not worth that contract. When you will be making that much money you better be a player that can carry a team and be very impactful and noticeable on the ice and he is just not that type of player. That is an elite player contract and as we know we don't have any elite players that can just take over a game.
I watched a lot of Huberdeau highlight videos after we acquired him. I know there are limitations from going by highlight videos, but I am not going to pretend that I was often tuning into Panthers games.

With that out of the way, I tend to think you are right about him. He was always picking up points on plays, but rarely was I like, oh wow, I can’t believe he did that. Or oh wow, he made something out of nothing. It almost always seemed to be a complete effort from the whole line. There were times it was mainly him, but not enough to think he is worth what he got here.

Obviously Huberdeau is a very good player and puck distributor, but I don’t see him as a guy who carries a team and makes something out of nothing. If something is already happening, he is smart enough to know how to take advantage, but those guys are more like $7 million players, not $10.5 million players.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-07-2023 at 05:18 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:34 PM   #8353
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we have a full moon tonight? First Huberdeau doesn't have one on one individual talent now he's a 7 million complimentary 115 point player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 06:54 PM   #8354
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last time I checked (about a year ago), the Flames had the smallest pro scouting team in the NHL. Even smaller than Arizona, Florida, Columbus, etc.

Since then, Hakan Loob as left, if I'm not mistaken.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 07:12 PM   #8355
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the Flames' website, they only have one Pro Scout listed: Steve Pleau.

There are 12 Amateur Scouts, plus Button as the Director of Amateur Scouting and 2 Assistant Directors of Scouting.

Looking at the Flames Media site, 2 of the people listed as Amateur scouts on the main site are listed as pro scouts: https://flamesmedia.ca/hockey-operations/

Going by that, Jason Taylor and Trevor Hanson are both pro scouts along with Pleau.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:38 PM   #8356
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Murray?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:16 PM   #8357
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Nope.

They are charged with finding guys that will fit in with the existing structure and system of the team, and understanding personalities that will allow chemistry to not be disrupted both in the room and on the ice.

Doesnt matter where on the team that any particular player is to fit, only that they will. Some blossom in new spots not because they all of a sudden get better at the game, but because they find a better landing spot and fit for themselves.

Do you not think the team had a ton of info on Rooney because most here didn't? Its not like every moment of his NHL career isnt on video for any teams GM and staff to see. Those kind of "secrets" simply dont exist in this day and age.

Every guy in the NHL and AHL and a lot of other places have a book on them by every team in the league.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #8358
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Rooney signing was beyond puzzling from Day 1.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:29 PM   #8359
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Rooney signing was beyond puzzling from Day 1.
Was it really a surprise, though?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:02 PM   #8360
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

I get Hubey had 115 points and he was not going to be cheap but what do you think we could have signed him for if we waited. What could have we signed him for if we tried signing him today. You always have different options and those that think Tre had to sign him are off. You always have other choices and ultimately this is the team Tre has built and it is just average and the team will be committed to a player for 8yrs at a pretty big overpayment who is not elite. This is not just me saying he is not elite it is Sutter and others. That's what we keep hearing is that the flames don't have any real high end talent that are game breakers.My point is if you are paying a guy 10.5 mil he should be elite and a game breaker because that money is the kind of dough elite players are making.The same with Coleman. You don't pay a third liner 4.95 mil just because of intangibles and having won a cup.If you are making that much you should be putting up 20 goals at least. He was also overvalued when he came here. I like Coleman and what he brings but not at that price.Great pk guy also but the money for this team has not been spent very wisely.Not a Tre fan. After all these years of playoff futility and the prospect pool is very shallow also.Maybe only players in WOLF and Coronato to have a chance at having a big impact in the future
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote