Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #101
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will not be celebrating. Just something I never really got into other then the odd long weekend.
Unlike most apparently, I don't really care if people do it or not... I just hate when people call it 'chronic', it makes it sound way more badass then it is.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #102
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Come on, I don't take it that seriously. The only reason I bring it up is because I don't understand why you need an excuse to smoke pot when you were likely going to do it anyways. I've never understood that about drinking either. If you like to drink, then drink. You don't need a special occasion to do it.
I still don't get the reason a justification is required? Why do you need to drink? Ever? What's your 'excuse' for drinking? Pretty wierd questions huh?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #103
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I definitely think the legal aspect is a huge factor. Most older people I know (like my Mom) don't know what's wrong with marijuana, but they DO know it's illegal, and BECAUSE it's illegal, it's evil and wrong. Case closed.

If it were legal to smoke I think the 'acceptability' would sky-rocket.
Man, I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think it's quite that simple.

Certainly the legality is a big part of it. My parents are the same as yours. My generation, however, is better informed and there are still those who think it's stupid (and have tried it and still come out with this opinion). I'm just saying its not as as black and white as 'if it were legal, everybody would love it'.

Maybe I should be more clear. An example of another aspect of marijuana that is not it's illegality but still influences people's perception of it is that it is smoked with all kinds of strange and awesome devices.

I'm not saying illegality isn't a big part of it, or even the main factor. But it's not the only one.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-20-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #104
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The dudes that I went to High School and University with that smoked a lot of pot, are not exactly tremendous achievers today.
That is likely because they are losers, losers tend to achieve next to nothing in life.

You're getting sucked into the vortex Trout. These people, are you suggesting they have failed in life due to the pot they smoked as youths? I will tell you that is likely not the case. A far more likely scenario is, because they are losers, always been losers and always will be losers, they were attracted to the consumption of illegal substances, and in most high schools, weed is about as "hard and illegal" as you're going to find.

On other side of the coin I have a bunch of friends, all professionals, all well educated and all out of school for some time. They all used to smoke alot of weed, most of them still do, and almost every one of them has been rather successful in both business and family. The thing is, these guys, they are and always have been intelligent thoughtful people, the fact that they enjoy weed over alcohol (or along with it) does not change that.

In closing, weed is good, yet illegal. Because of these two qualities two totally different groups of people become interested in the substance. Us normal, fun loving folk enjoy the substance for what it is and in moderation, like many citizens do with alcohol. On the other hand, there are the "losers" who look to consume to substance mainly do to the fact it is illegal, their buddies do it and because it is considered a "drug" and will allow them to escape from their horrid lives.

Responsible, intelligent and thoughtful pot smokers are, strictly in my opinion, much more common then responsible, intelligent and thoughtful beer drinkers and if you need proof of that just take a peek at the crime statistics.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #105
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I still don't get the reason a justification is required? Why do you need to drink? Ever? What's your 'excuse' for drinking? Pretty wierd questions huh?
Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I don't get the reason behind celebrating it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #106
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. You're really going to make me believe that people are getting blitzed today because they're trying to promote legalization? I agree it should be legalized, but that would be like me trying to legalize prostitution by sodomizing six hookers in front of city hall.
I'm not saying it's the only reason, I'm saying it's probably one of many.

I don't think I'd compare the implicit harmfulness of marijuana (not a whole lot) to sodomy... I understand the analogy but it's crudeness doesn't really serve any purpose.

Troutman, I could argue that alcoholism has ruined its fair share of lives, let alone taken away a huge number. I think in the scheme of things it's extremely benign.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #107
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I passed the age of 21 many years ago. 4.20 is dead to me.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose it depends on the person. I'm not trying to lash out at the people in this thread, more people I know personally that celebrate just so they can have the stigma of being a stoner associated with them.

I don't know, I kind of have the feeling that if I were into blow and celebrated an International Yayo day by letting everyone know I was doing an 8-ball off a hooker's tits, that people would look down on it.
I wouldnt. I'd give you a high 5!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #109
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

I would probably partake in 4/20, but I need life insurance, so it's a no go this year. Happy 4/20
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #110
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
That is likely because they are losers, losers tend to achieve next to nothing in life.

You're getting sucked into the vortex Trout. These people, are you suggesting they have failed in life due to the pot they smoked as youths? I will tell you that is likely not the case. A far more likely scenario is, because they are losers, always been losers and always will be losers, they were attracted to the consumption of illegal substances, and in most high schools, weed is about as "hard and illegal" as you're going to find.

On other side of the coin I have a bunch of friends, all professionals, all well educated and all out of school for some time. They all used to smoke alot of weed, most of them still do, and almost every one of them has been rather successful in both business and family. The thing is, these guys, they are and always have been intelligent thoughtful people, the fact that they enjoy weed over alcohol (or along with it) does not change that.

In closing, weed is good, yet illegal. Because of these two qualities two totally different groups of people become interested in the substance. Us normal, fun loving folk enjoy the substance for what it is and in moderation, like many citizens do with alcohol. On the other hand, there are the "losers" who look to consume to substance mainly do to the fact it is illegal, their buddies do it and because it is considered a "drug" and will allow them to escape from their horrid lives.

Responsible, intelligent and thoughtful pot smokers are, strictly in my opinion, much more common then responsible, intelligent and thoughtful beer drinkers and if you need proof of that just take a peek at the crime statistics.
I getting sucked into a vortex. LOL.

Let`s not bring alcohol into this. That is a seperate issue. You say weed is `good`. I lived in Vancouver. I lived in Penticton. I experimented. Weed was as common as beer. I was a drug prosecutor in the Okanagan. Where there was weed, harder drugs were not far behind.

I would not say that the pot smokers in law school were losers. Pot just seemed to dull their senses. Made them lazy. Some people could function, but that seemed to be the exception. Some very bright people in high school became zombies.

I`m in favor of legalization, but would never say pot is harmless.

Pot has become far more potent in the last 20 years too.

Last edited by troutman; 04-20-2010 at 04:26 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #111
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So as a 39-year-old male who's never smoked marijuana, I have a silly question: isn't the smoke harmful? I remember hearing statistics saying the tar and whatever in the stuff is ten times more harmful than a tobacco cigarette. Is that true?
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #112
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weed is evil and all should be sent to me to be destroyed!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #113
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
So as a 39-year-old male who's never smoked marijuana, I have a silly question: isn't the smoke harmful? I remember hearing statistics saying the tar and whatever in the stuff is ten times more harmful than a tobacco cigarette. Is that true?
I think one joint is equivalent to five cigarettes.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50–70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;8 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.9 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.10 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.
11 Several studies associate workers’ marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers’ compensation claims, and job turnover.

Last edited by troutman; 04-20-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #114
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Inhaling plant matter is clearly far more harmful than a cigarette!

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #115
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Inhaling plant matter is clearly far more harmful than a cigarette!
Wow, if this post is supposted to be sarcastic, (ie, you seriously mean to say that a cigarette is more harmful than "inhaling plant matter") it may be the most ######ed post I've ever read.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Ice
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #116
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suppose it's the health reasons listed by Troutman that have led me to not bother considering marijuana any more than tobacco. I had some serious asthma as a kid and my lungs are messed up enough.

My issues aren't genetic - I have an uncle in South Africa who apparently is the guy to go to in his neighbourhood for some of the good stuff. If anything, I'm the black sheep of the family for my failure to embrace casual drug use.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #117
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I suppose it's the health reasons listed by Troutman that have led me to not bother considering marijuana any more than tobacco. I had some serious asthma as a kid and my lungs are messed up enough.

My issues aren't genetic - I have an uncle in South Africa who apparently is the guy to go to in his neighbourhood for some of the good stuff. If anything, I'm the black sheep of the family for my failure to embrace casual drug use.
You don`t smoke mushrooms.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #118
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You don`t smoke mushrooms.
I thought those were more hallucinogenic than anything. Hmm, the more I write, the more obvious it is how naive I am about this stuff.

Too old to start now, though! Maybe if I get cancer or glaucoma.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #119
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Wow, if this post is supposted to be sarcastic, (ie, you seriously mean to say that a cigarette is more harmful than "inhaling plant matter") it may be the most ######ed post I've ever read.
Did you celebrate a little early?

Is it just me or is there not a glaring contradiction in that article?

Studies have provided plenty of empirical evidence for both sides... take a look at http://safeaccess.ca/research/. Plenty of material to sift through there.

Cigarette: Ammonia, Carbon monoxide, Benzene, Acetone...etc
Joint: Natural plant.

I think I know which one I'd be safer inhaling..

</br>
Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #120
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

420 is my Christmas day!