Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #101
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
What homosexuals???? Aren't they all put to death.

It really is quite the contradiction going on with the left side of the aisle at the moment. You got Feminists and the LGBTQ community aligning with Islam and taking runs at Christianity, it's completely absurd. You paint Christians to be these intolerant bigots, but seem to forget that Christianity was a huge pillar in creating the most tolerant and inclusive societies in the world, i.e. the West. To such a point that Christianity is encouraged and openly slandered now in the public discourse. Go try those same practices in a Society under Sharia Law. Good luck.
Just because you find bigger bigots doesn't mean you aren't a bigot...it's pretty straightforward

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #102
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
What homosexuals???? Aren't they all put to death.

It really is quite the contradiction going on with the left side of the aisle at the moment. You got Feminists and the LGBTQ community aligning with Islam and taking runs at Christianity, it's completely absurd. You paint Christians to be these intolerant bigots, but seem to forget that Christianity was a huge pillar in creating the most tolerant and inclusive societies in the world, i.e. the West. To such a point that Christianity is encouraged and openly slandered now in the public discourse. Go try those same practices in a Society under Sharia Law. Good luck.
Illuminaughty:
Complains about criticizing Christianity while pointing to how tolerant Christians are.

Also Illuminaughty:
Criticizes feminists, the entire LGBTQ community, Islams, and liberals in one paragraph
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #103
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/t...talin-pol-pot/

“Besides that, I believe one thing: there is a Lord God! And this Lord God creates the peoples.” [1] ~Adolf Hitler
“We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations; we have stamped it out” [2]~Adolf Hitler

To begin, here are just a few of Hitler’s Christian confessions:
My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God’s truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice…For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.” [3]
“The greatness of Christianity did not arise from attempts to make compromises with those philosophical opinions of the ancient world which had some resemblance to its own doctrine, but in the unrelenting and fanatical proclamation and defense of its own teaching.” [4]

Prior to Constantine’s legitimization of the Christian religion in the fourth century, Christian anti-Semitism was confined to the canonical and non-canonical works of Christian authors and Church fathers. From the fifth century onward, the fantasies of the ante-Nicene fathers began to manifest into brutal violence.
In the first volume of my three volume book series, (I Am Christ), I trace the concentration camps of World War II all the way back to the Gospel of “John.” In that book, I said:
From all of the evidence available in the volumes of historical works, both Christian and non-Christian, it is clear that there is an unbroken chain of hatred, intolerance, and racism toward the Jews, which began with “John’s” Gospel (see also the Synoptic gospels) and continued all the way down into the twentieth century, ending with Hitler’s bloody campaign against the Church’s most despised enemies. [7]

Stalin was raised as a Christian under the religious influence of his mother, who enrolled him in seminary school, and that Stalin later took it upon himself to study for the priesthood, as Hitchens and others have pointed out, Stalin merely stepped into a ready-made religious tyranny, constructed by the Russian Orthodox Church and paved with the teachings of St. Paul.

Pol Pot, possibly not even an atheist, but almost certainly a Buddhist, believed in the teachings of the Buddha, no matter how perverted his interpretations may or may not have been. His violence, much like the violence of many earlier religionists, wasn’t the result of a lack of belief in a god, whether Zeus, Osiris, Yahweh, or the god-like Buddha of Mahayana Buddhism, but in the megalomaniacal belief that heaven or destiny was guiding him to improve the state of affairs for all those who could be forced to share his misguided utopian delusions. Not only was Pol Pot a Theravada Buddhist, but the soil in which his atrocities were sewn was also very Buddhist.

Caesar also looked at himself as a God and murdered those who disagreed. No discussion of his using atheism as an excuse.
You are completely wrong on all of this to a ridiculous level. I'd love to rip this apart but I'm sure I will be called out for straying off topic. At the same time I can't let you post this nonsense unchallenged, so I'll point out a couple things.

Hitler was not a Christian at all, did he try to coop Christianity to achieve his political aspirations, absolutely. Many leaders that have an agenda have successfully done this, that doesn't mean that religion or Christianity is to blame for these actions. Religion is merely a tool that can be used for good or evil, that is on the user. As pointed out earlier, Hitlers beliefs were racially motivated. Hitler himself was rumoured to be part Jewish. You do know that the old testament is based largely off the Hebrew Bible?

Communism is rooted in a secular or atheistic belief. Actually try reading some Marx, he openly states that Christianity is naturally resistant and an enemy to the Communist Ideology. Stalin was an atheist until his dying breath, that is well documented. Think about it, who needs a God belief system when the State will fill that role. Have you ever noticed how most atheists are GENERALLY very left leaning politically, that is not by accident.

I know atheism is having a big resurgence now but it has been around for a long time, and for the most part rejected by most societies. In the absence of a God belief, men will make themselves out to be God's, look no further then North Korea for a modern day example of this, or look back in time to the Nations that followed Marxist doctrine.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Illuminaughty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #104
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Just because you find bigger bigots doesn't mean you aren't a bigot...it's pretty straightforward
The problem with the left is that everybody that doesn't agree with them is a bigot. Hate speech counts as speech that they don't like currently. It's completely hypocritical and kind of goes against the central message doesn't it? Haven't you noticed how the left was cannibalizing on themselves after Trump won.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #105
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
It wouldn't even make the news. men and women aren't allowed to pray together at mosques. How do you think they feel about homosexuals?
What exactly is your point? Other than deflecting criticism?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #106
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Illuminaughty:
Complains about criticizing Christianity while pointing to how tolerant Christians are.

Also Illuminaughty:
Criticizes feminists, the entire LGBTQ community, Islams, and liberals in one paragraph
I think the fact that Christians are so openly and loudly criticized constantly currently points towards an ability of tolerance. Do you remember what happened to those cartoonists that depicted Mohamed?

I was pointing out the contradiction with aligning Feminists and the LGBTQ community with Islam, I think that is a fair critique. But that's your team so I'm sure you don't see it that way.

I have to ask, what happened to your flag Shia?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #107
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think the fact that Christians are so openly and loudly criticized constantly currently points towards an ability of tolerance. Do you remember what happened to those cartoonists that depicted Mohamed?

I was pointing out the contradiction with aligning Feminists and the LGBTQ community with Islam, I think that is a fair critique. But that's your team so I'm sure you don't see it that way.

Do you remember what happened to those abortion clinics?
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #108
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Do you remember what happened to those abortion clinics?
I do, but weren't we talking about tolerance in the wake of criticism. You can depict Jesus however without much trouble, try that with Mohamed.

So because a few radicals do something bad, does that mean all Christians are now equally guilty by association?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #109
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I do, but weren't we talking about tolerance in the wake of criticism. You can depict Jesus however without much trouble, try that with Mohamed.

So because a few radicals do something bad, does that mean all Christians are now equally guilty by association?
One intolerance is not better than others. Islam doesn't believe in abortion either but you don't see them blowing up abortion clinics and shooting abortion doctors, does that mean they're more tolerant?

And nobody is saying all Christians are equally guilty by association. There are a tonne of Muslims and Christians alike that support the gay community. The mayor of Calgary being one.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #110
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

So because a few radicals do something bad, does that mean all Muslims are now equally guilty by association?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #111
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
One intolerance is not better than others. Islam doesn't believe in abortion either but you don't see them blowing up abortion clinics and shooting abortion doctors, does that mean they're more tolerant?

And nobody is saying all Christians are equally guilty by association. There are a tonne of Muslims and Christians alike that support the gay community. The mayor of Calgary being one.
I don't think abortion is as widely practiced and accepted socially in Muslim countries as it is in the West. That could have something to do with it, but who knows. I think there are clearly varying degrees of intolerance.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #112
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So because a few radicals do something bad, does that mean all Muslims are now equally guilty by association?
Where did I ever say that? Of course not. Have you noticed that all you do is constantly try to re-frame things to force me to engage you on your terms? Because I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illuminaughty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 AM   #113
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong, I think different sexual orientations perfectly natural, but in a strange way, Christians going from; "It's an abomination!", to it's "mental illness" is a small move in the right direction. At least now they aren't condemning them to hell, but they are saying it's involuntary and God will judge them more compassionately.

I know it's still dumb, but baby steps?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #114
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with the left is that everybody that doesn't agree with them is a bigot. Hate speech counts as speech that they don't like currently. It's completely hypocritical and kind of goes against the central message doesn't it? Haven't you noticed how the left was cannibalizing on themselves after Trump won.
I agree with you on this point. But that is a separate problem. A problem isn't addressed simply because there is another problem.

A school having the religiously-inspired hubris to label someone as 'mentally ill' for being gay is a different issue than the left being intolerant of those who won't shun those that offend them.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #115
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Abortion clinic attacks don't even come close to the scale of Islamic terrorism. Just a dumb and lazy parallel to make
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #116
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I ever say that? Of course not. Have you noticed that all you do is constantly try to re-frame things to force me to engage you on your terms? Because I have.
I just find your point confusing.
Why are you even bringing up a terrorist attack born from a series of cartoons Al-Queda didn't like as a commentary on Islam's ability to take criticism?

If an attack on an abortion clinic isn't representative of all Christians, surely you can see the hypocrisy in saying a shooting is representative of all of Islam's ability to take a joke. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think different sexual orientations perfectly natural, but in a strange way, Christians going from; "It's an abomination!", to it's "mental illness" is a small move in the right direction. At least now they aren't condemning them to hell, but they are saying it's involuntary and God will judge them more compassionately.

I know it's still dumb, but baby steps?
I still prefer them calling it "dangerous." I don't really skydive or anything, so at least I can feel a rush that way.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #117
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I agree with you on this point. But that is a separate problem. A problem isn't addressed simply because there is another problem.

A school having the religiously-inspired hubris to label someone as 'mentally ill' for being gay is a different issue than the left being intolerant of those who won't shun those that offend them.
Alright but the alternative is dictating what a Religious school is allowed to teach and whether or not they are allowed to stay true to their beliefs, however wrong those may be. Freedom of Religion after all. Is the answer just doing away with Religious schools then? I know that would make some people very happy. Or should they just edit all the stuff out that might offend someone. I'm not sure there is a good answer. I think part of having freedom, is the freedom to be wrong too.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #118
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:

This happened? What? When? I'm a little out of the loop so maybe I missed this.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #119
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Alright but the alternative is dictating what a Religious school is allowed to teach and whether or not they are allowed to stay true to their beliefs, however wrong those may be. Freedom of Religion after all. Is the answer just doing away with Religious schools then? I know that would make some people very happy. Or should they just edit all the stuff out that might offend someone. I'm not sure there is a good answer. I think part of having freedom, is the freedom to be wrong too.
You can start any religious school you want and pay for it with your own money. People shouldn't have to pay taxes that go towards any school that teaches one religion as being the "correct" religion.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #120
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just find your point confusing.
Why are you even bringing up a terrorist attack born from a series of cartoons Al-Queda didn't like as a commentary on Islam's ability to take criticism?

If an attack on an abortion clinic isn't representative of all Christians, surely you can see the hypocrisy in saying a shooting is representative of all of Islam's ability to take a joke. Right?

I still prefer them calling it "dangerous." I don't really skydive or anything, so at least I can feel a rush that way.
It wasn't just Al-Queda that was angry about those cartoons, it was a large portion of the Islamic community in Europe. Again look at how you are trying to frame things to force me to engage you on your terms. I was pointing out how you can depict Jesus in any manner, but you can't do that with Mohamed, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do so in Islamic countries however not in the super tolerant and inclusive West, you know the societies largely built by White Christians.

Bringing up the abortion clinic bombings was a an attempt to straw man and maneuver around my point, you just couldn't help yourself by jumping in on it.