Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #121
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Did I hit a nerve here?

$$hit happens, deal with it. They've made the rules so stop your bitching cuz the rule will be for the whole league not just you.
I did move on, please read my previous comments before posting. See Post 87 where I said:

"Not sure how many other ways I can say I do not mind the rules changes at all, that's not the issue, and if the changes and timing is final and will be implemented ASAP I can live with that.

However, in the future I would encourage that the commish team to think about their timing when making big changes, that's all. "

Do you understand? Do you see what I posted?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #122
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say I kind of got bored partway through the thread and scrolled quickly so I could be wrong, but a lot of angst around the UFAs seems to be from GMs who were hoping to unload junk to other GMs in hopes that they would buy the idea that they could grid them. I don't think I need to name names here, but if you are selling the idea that a 37 year old clearly in the decline of his career is worth gridding to make a deal and you know full well he isn't then to me these rules are exactly in response to that kind of deal.

I have zero problem with the fact that I might lose a couple UFAs here because they're not worth gridding, and I have a couple of my top line players that this might effect. If the player isn't worth a grid though he should be traded for next to nothing. That's pretty realistic to me.

I wonder if the use of the 4th and 5th round picks is actually higher under this system as well. If the UFAs aren't worth as much and you could theoretically trade say a 4th for one, does that kind of increase the value/use of a 4th whereas today not many GMs are interested?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #123
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the decision is final, just lock the thread already, there are no new arguments here.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #124
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
I will sign Nash and Suter, my two UFA's anyone would keep. I will relase the rest that no one would pay anything for.

Who will give me anything for Boyle, Comeau, Stuart, Lovejoy?

Sorry Atif Asif, you are incorrect and are completely missing what I am saying, let me try and be even more clear.

The timing of the rule changes is bad. Who makes rules changes 3/4 of the way through a season you are currently playing.

When you are at home playing Barbie Mansion on PS4, you would be pissed if they took your lover Ken out of the game and replaced him with a donkey that kills everyone. You bought the game and invested your time to hook up with Ken!
thanked for Barbie Mansion. Ken is dreamy.

At this point, I've been convinced that the UFA changes are whatever, and it doesn't matter when that rule comes into play.

I'm still standing firm on the removal of cap awards this year though. I think that rule should be delayed until next year.

Also, we should eliminate the personal attacks. Doesn't make the league look good, and this is probably in the top 10 viewed threads on the forum as a whole

Last edited by dsavillian; 03-20-2015 at 10:15 AM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #125
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
If I am a brand new GM within the last 6 months and don't fully comprehend the rules yet, how am I in a position to comment on any new ones? I certainly would feel intimidated to enter into this kind of conversation.

There is a reason why a lot of the new GM's are not engaged in this conversation because IMO they just don't fully comprehend how this game works yet in all it's layers and complexities. That's not a bad thing but I do feel it is important to look at this from the other side as well.
That's different from what you were saying though. If GMs aren't offering up their opinion because they don't have a strong opinion or don't feel they have a full understanding of the game - that's fine. But that's different from saying that GMs DO have strong opinions but are afraid to share them.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #126
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't really care what you think or anyone else for that matter. I was a new GM once and that's how I felt so am posting based on personal experience.

Take it or leave it.
So you tell our newest GM that you don't care what she thinks ... about an hour after worrying that new GMs might be "intimidated". Nice job.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #127
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya obviously some new GM's know everything, my bad.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #128
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Awe you're so cute, aren't ya. Looks like you've learned the copy and paste.

Why don't you go to this thread and post in here.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=137173
Do what you learned here. Copy and paste your old trade block, since it never changes.
you mad?

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #129
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course he is but don't egg him on or he'll never stop!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #130
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awe look at you two, finally coming together. I'm glad I could help out. No more bitching about each other on messengers to other GMs. You two have made good progress here. Let's not waste it.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #131
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
So you tell our newest GM that you don't care what she thinks ... about an hour after worrying that new GMs might be "intimidated". Nice job.
I provided a rational argument to the timing of the rule changes, if that offends some people I don't really care as long as the point of my argument gets accross.

I have made my argument, would like to think it is being considered but will accept the decision of the league.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #132
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #133
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #134
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont want to derail the developing passive aggressive tone of this thread but If anyone sees a money clip filled with award dollars maybe shoot me a PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #135
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

A “newbie” GM’s response to the rules.

Quote:
1. ECHL Contracts.
More than fair. Anaheim has Monahan in the ECHL, NJ has Grigerenko, Pittsburgh has McKinnon and Forsberg. Too many NHL players are being hidden for free in the ECHL and I don’t agree with that at all. I believe this will start to eliminate it. I may possibly have the 1st overall or very close to that pick this year and potentially have a kid whose a full time NHL'er next year. I should be forced to sign and play him by 2016-17. No reason not to with the grading system. That and this will encourage more players into the lineup and therefore creating more assets that can be moved and used to build teams. All positives.

Quote:
2. Draft
I think this is fair. And it’s optional, don’t want to make another pick then don’t. For those of us who do want to use the opportunity to build up our AHL/ECHL teams through picks, this is great. It is a plus to anyone rebuilding or finally giving some attention to a prospect cupboard that might not be well stocked or was poorly stocked. I’m actually most looking forward to this. There's hope for my AHL team yet.

Quote:
3. Awards
Those complaining about this and how it’s messing up their budget really are foolish. It’s like saying you are going to plan our how to pay your bills next month because you might win lotto 6/49. The money wasn’t yours, was never yours, you really have no reason to be upset.

I think rewarding improvement over continued domination is going to help some of the lower level teams where there is a huge payroll gap. I’ve seen teams with $89, $90, $100M payrolls. I have $60M. A $40M gap is far too excessive to have in this league. It makes it next to impossible for a team like the Sharks to get ahead when already prosperous teams just keep getting richer and in UFA could outbid me with pocket change. If you want to attract new GM’s to take over some of the poorer teams, the league needed to start showing that there would be a way to improve the team while not being trampled by others. I’m glad some of you have spent years on your team, but that doesn’t give you the right to pretty much squash new GM’s due to it. It needs to be as fair as possible to both sides. One side having $100M because they have a great team and just keep winning awards and another having $60M and slowly improving the team but not getting anything for it isn’t it. I really think rewarding improvement over just being the best is a great way to keep the balance. Even the best teams can still get better and at 100,000 a point, it's still a good amount of money.

Quote:

4. UFAs
Seems more than fair. There are a few nameless GM’s who like to overrate their pending UFA’s to bleed out youth from the other team. This will stop that. I’m very happy about this. It sounds long overdue as well.

I also have difficult decisions to make. Maybe I don't have any star players, but I have depth guys coming up. I need to make decisions on them now. Hearing the “rich” teams complain that this ruins their plan doesn’t gain any sympathy from me. We will all have difficult decisions to make. I believe this will also be a way that the teams that are in a lesser fiscal position or maybe planned ahead to free up cap (what a concept hey?), will now actually have some quality UFA’s to bid on. I’ve been told by a few GM’s that the UFA market is usually anemic and don’t plan on rebuilding through that. This now changes that and I think will be a great improvement to the league so that those in the rebuilding stage can become more competitive a little quicker. We will get a little more choice in UFA, that's never a bad thing.

Maybe some teams have to readjust their plans. Oh well, keeps the league active. If I had to count the number of times I had to readjust my plans because a deal came up that made me better, but used a piece I hadn’t planned to let go…well I’m not sure I even know where to start. My plan was to build around Turris and Saad. Then Howard came along. Well crap, now to Plan B. You need to be flexible as a GM. A good GM can overcome these things and still run a successful team.

Quote:
5. Waivers
Again, seems fair. Although I will admit I planned on doing this with a few players and even did it with Pirri earlier in the year to free up money so I could land someone else. There’s 0 reason I should have Pirri in the AHL though. I do bounce a few low level guys between NHL and AHL when I need to fill a spot and I think this rule will still allow me that, but guys who are over a certain rating are playable and should be played. Again, it stops people hiding talent in the AHL/ECHL while having a full talented roster as well. It will get more assets moving and allow rebuilding teams a few more options. It’s definitely a positive.

Quote:
6. Re-rates
I think I just heard a choir of angels. I love this one, I think this is the one where we will feel most impact and not to repeat myself, but where players in the AHL/ECHL will become more valuable and get more moving around. There is no reason why Sean Monahan and Nathan McKinnon should be in the ECHL. Both could have very usable ratings in the SIM right now and should be there. And I think this may also alleviate the goalie situation and maybe get a few more backup goalie options going because there’s been a few guys this year who have come in and stole games and could maybe be a low 70’s goalie when they are just showing as 60’s.

PS, I know I picked on Anaheim and Pittsburgh twice. I have no issues with either of you, you just had players that fit my example.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #136
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I think rewarding improvement over continued domination is going to help some of the lower level teams where there is a huge payroll gap. I’ve seen teams with $89, $90, $100M payrolls. I have $60M. A $40M gap is far too excessive to have in this league. It makes it next to impossible for a team like the Sharks to get ahead when already prosperous teams just keep getting richer and in UFA could outbid me with pocket change. If you want to attract new GM’s to take over some of the poorer teams, the league needed to start showing that there would be a way to improve the team while not being trampled by others. I’m glad some of you have spent years on your team, but that doesn’t give you the right to pretty much squash new GM’s due to it. It needs to be as fair as possible to both sides. One side having $100M because they have a great team and just keep winning awards and another having $60M and slowly improving the team but not getting anything for it isn’t it. I really think rewarding improvement over just being the best is a great way to keep the balance. Even the best teams can still get better and at 100,000 a point, it's still a good amount of money.

Just a quick comment on the salary gap.

A lot of the gap you see this year comes from cheese getting sent back and forth.

Realistically, the gap at the start of the season was probably closer to 15M between the ducks and the lowest team. Everyone starts with 75M at the start of the season (I think?) and the ducks won what, 13M, with a few extra M coming from trades and POTW awards
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #137
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
A “newbie” GM’s response to the rules.

Those complaining about this and how it’s messing up their budget really are foolish. It’s like saying you are going to plan our how to pay your bills next month because you might win lotto 6/49. The money wasn’t yours, was never yours, you really have no reason to be upset.

I'll take a stab at that one as its pretty much directed at me anyway. It is not foolish to plan your budget around money you have already won. This is not a lottery...I have already secured some of the awards (and am very close to securing one more) and its now being taken away. That is my contention. Overall, i agree with the concept of reducing cap disparity I just don't like how that rule is being rolled out. I get it only impacts 4 GMs and everyone else is probably happy about it; but i still don't agree in revoking award money at this stage in the game.

also, just to clarify, everyone starts with the same cap of 75M - you do not have a 63M cap from day one, its 75M and in the case of your team, you've shipped out 12M to other teams. At most, the disparity is about 15M from the team that wins all the awards to a team that wins nothing. Still a meaningful number, for sure, but that is also for only 1 or maybe 2 teams...everyone else is much closer to the 75M starting point. the idea of cap bumping on point improvement would tighten that gap for non-playoff teams.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #138
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drury18, I love how active you are and you are going to be a great GM, but you failure to comprehend how cap is reset annually proves my point that it is very difficult for new GM's to comprehend how complex this game is, meaning for GM's who are not as confident as you are, it would be difficult for them to comment on any new rule changes. I am sorry you were insulted but I was obviously right.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #139
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Drury18, I love how active you are and you are going to be a great GM, but you failure to comprehend how cap is reset annually proves my point that it is very difficult for new GM's to comprehend how complex this game is, meaning for GM's who are not as confident as you are, it would be difficult for them to comment on any new rule changes. I am sorry you were insulted but I was obviously right.
Nice backhanded compliment. Will you be continuing to bully all the new GM's who speak up for themselves in this thread/generally or am I just the new favourite? Because yea, I spoke up in hopes to be the first of the newbies to comment and get this back being a conversation what you just did will probably shut them up for good now. I can't imagine JonDuke is looking at this thread going "Maybe I should say something" after what you've posted.

Also, yes, I overlooked about the cap reset. That instantly makes the other 5 comments I made lesser? I can't speak on anything because I made one mistake? Is your comment that because I'm new, I'm dumb on everything and no one should take any stock in what I have to say?

However will I learn the rules if I don't make comments and then have people like dasavillian and TurdFerguson help me out where I've made an error and correct me? Where does the learning happen then? Is it just supposed to hit me after a certain period of time?
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #140
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I'm insulted!