Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #41
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

if my dog gets a terminal illness I'll dope her up with morphine and keep her comfortable and let nature take its course
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #42
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

What I've learned is that animals never show their pain. I had a dog who was suffering from serious kidney issues and you could tell he wasn't himself even though tests confirmed that he had serious problems. We did all sorts of ultra sounds and things like that. The vet told us that he was suffering, but my sweet dog would still wag his tail and look at you with his beautiful brown eyes....dogs seem to never show pain when they are suffering, and even if they are in pain, they still aim to please their owner.

I know its really hard, but just make sure that you don't keep him alive for you......it is so hard and ive lost a couple of doggies, it's not fair for the little critter to be suffering.
OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #43
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
As he puts it, Louie is his buddy!
I never saw this thread before and I'm not going to lie, that made me tear up a bit! I call my cat my "Handsome Lil Buddy" every day coming home. So it kinda hit a soft spot to read this.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't really know if there was an outcome to it all but do what you feel is right and that is all you can do. I would hate to watch someone/thing I love be in pain all the time!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #44
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

sorry for bringing this thread up again....

however, the time has come where I have to take our dog in.
in fact, the time is tomorrow afternoon.

Since I orginally posted this thread, our dog's health has become worse. He spends most times coughing a lot due to his enlarged heart pressing on his trachea. Sadly, he has also developed seizures now and had a series of them over the weekend. 5 to be exact, with the last one happening in front of our 11 year old son.

My son totally lost it. The dog was stumbling around dazed and confused and then fell over. He had lost control of his body and it took about 15 minutes before he was able to walk again. Things seem to be getting worse. Recently he has also taken to messing in the house.

I am still struggling with this because at times he seems ok, even with all the coughing and gagging. He spends most of his nights, in our bed, coughing and gagging so much that my wife and I are having trouble sleeping as a result of it.

I struggle with the decision due to my kids and quite frankly I am not real eager to be the one that takes him to the vet tomorrow. But alas, the responsibility is mine and I have accepted it.

We have advised the kids and have talked to them at great length since the original post, but it really doesn;t make the decision any easier.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Sample00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sorry to hear that Sample. I got handed the job when the 2 family dogs had to be put down. Never an easy task.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #46
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure anything anyone will say can make it feel better.

You are doing the right thing, and it sounds like delaying any more will just cause more distress on your family as well as your beloved friend. Stay with him and know that you will never, ever really be without him.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put my dog down in January and it was very hard, but I can honestly now a few months later it does start to get easier.

It sounds like your dog is very sick, and despite not wanting to put your dog down, I think deep down you probably know its the right thing to do. I honestly think it would be harder to continue to watch your dog suffer.

Try and spend lots of time with the dog tonight and enjoy the time you have left. Tomorrow will be very hard, but I found that the best coping mechanism was remembering all the fun times with my dog, all the silly things she used to do, and just looking at pictures and stuff.

Good luck with everything tomorrow!
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #48
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
I struggle with the decision due to my kids and quite frankly I am not real eager to be the one that takes him to the vet tomorrow. But alas, the responsibility is mine and I have accepted it.
Very sad day, sorry to hear, Axel.

One of my greatest regrets was not going with my old friend to the vet on her last day. The last person on earth she should have seen was me.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #49
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always get a lump in my throat when people talk about having to put down their dogs. It really is the hardest thing in the world to look into those eyes, lean down and pet your best friend for the last time.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's hard, but you've got to wrap your head around the idea that this is the best thing for the dog.

You're not a bad dog owner for realizing when your dog has reached the end of it's comfortable life. You are a good and conscientious owner who obviously loves their dog, loves them enough to do what needs to be done.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #51
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Let your kid stay home from school tomorrow. Hard enough on an 11 year old boy to lose his dog. Makes it even worse if he breaks down at school and the kids make fun of him.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #52
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Let your kid stay home from school tomorrow. Hard enough on an 11 year old boy to lose his dog. Makes it even worse if he breaks down at school and the kids make fun of him.

luckily our life is in a state of flux right now.
No more hockey for my son and they are on spring break.
we are taking them to the big mall in Edmonton on wednesday to give them something to do, to take their minds off it.
The timing on this is probably at its very best, if that can be said.
Sample00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #53
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know how you feel and am sorry. I had to put down my girl (in my avatar) at the end of January. I now truly know why they call it a "broken heart". Here's my advice:
1. Buy your booze tonight.
2. See if your vet will bill you later...you won't want to deal with it tomorrow.
3. Have your dog cremated...it isn't cheap, but worthwile...especially for your kids.
4. The dog should get some steak tonight.
5. Morning is the best time to do it...otherwise you feel like your on death row all day.

Take care tomorrow. It is peaceful, and I am sure you are doing the right thing.
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #54
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its time when...

"If the roles were reversed...what would you want?"

I wish humans had the same options as our pets do.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #55
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It's a hard situation and I've only had to go through it once with my dog.

It seems like a cliche but for us it was true...you'll know when it's time. And more importantly your pet will let you know when it's time. When we made the decision the life had gone from his eyes and he clearly wasn't enjoying life anymore.

If you come to this decision do yourself a favour and accompany your dog and be with him when it happens if you can. It will make you feel better and provide him with the comfort he needs for this final hurdle.

It isn't easy.
This is good advice - and might help you kids understand a little more (the decision of when is the right time part)...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #56
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like you are making the right decision. While there will be an empty place in your home and your hearts, it sounds like your dog's current state of health is a strain on your household and it would only get worse. Its time to let your friend be free of any pain and suffering.

It will be 9 years this month that I had to make the decision to put my dog to sleep. It was a hard choice to make and I was second guessing the decision in the days leading up to taking him to the vet. You will probably even second guess your decision in the days or weeks after, but as time passes you will know that you made the correct choice and feel at peace with it. You will always miss your dog but as time progresses the sadness will be replaced with happy memories.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #57
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sample, sorry to hear the news. Good luck to you and your family. These threads really hit me hard.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #58
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear the day has arrived Sample. You just have to see that it is for the best.

Our day is likely coming in the not too distant future. (12 year old Lab)
I fear that day. I cannot imagine taking him in there, I think it will be awful. However I know that I will have to be there. No other way to do it.

Much like Locke, my childhood dog died while I was at school/then work. I will never forget that. I came home after supper and went into the kitchen and saw the dog's dish wasn't on the floor. I went into the garage and looked in the garbage. I saw his dish, bed and blanket in the garbage. I lost it. Took out the blanket and just sat there.

I felt like I let her down by not being there. So I will certainly be there this time.
At least you will be there for your dog; not that you can take much solace from that.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My mom got us a cat when I was 5, and we were fortunate that he lived 17 years. I cant imagine how kids that age would cope with the loss of a pet. But, kids are surprisingly resiliant, and they will recover. Especially when, a few months from now, they beg and plead you into getting another dog.

Though even at 22, it was hard to watch our cat close his eyes after getting the needle. It is like a death in the family. Sorry to hear you had to make that decision. But it is for the best if the dog was in that much pain.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #60
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

having pets is the best thing in the world and the worst thing in the world, saying goodbye to them is torture, sorry for your loss