Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #4281
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Sorry, 38:15
Sorry, I understand than there are some philosophical differences here. And I can understand how someone could disagree on the impact of taxing companies profits on inflation.

But this is cause for you to worry about senility and incompetence? Come on man, you understand that different people can hold different views than you on things and still be thoughtful people, right?

His point is perfectly valid, when you have an investor class when several individuals basically hold the wealth of nations as personal tools, where they can bid up the price of goods, and create their own currencies from thin air, and basically extract excessive rents from their clients. And while companies are making record profits, pulling some of this wealth into general government revenues which on balance would go towards national debt, would on balance reduce inflationary pressures. It might not work in practice but it's perfectly reasonable to hold those views.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #4282
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I think looking at what is driving the increase in the cost of education could also be useful.

It seems that the ancillary services in education are driving higher costs. I suspect that teaching costs are going down, as there are simply fewer professors. At the same time, universities are constantly getting incredible new facilities, and seem to be growing from an admin standpoint.

Those ancillary costs aren't really relevant to educational outcome.

Looking at costs, I feel like University education is ripe for disruption. Lower cost options that provide greater upside. I liked what Lambda was doing, and can see other options in that model, but it could be something totally different.

If you get down to it, the reason most people 'buy' a degree is the ability to secure quality employment. Students pay high prices for mediocre and good schools, as opposed to cheaper community colleges, because in general the good office jobs go to university graduates.
Yes, I can agree with the bolded. It's not like professors are being paid incredible sums for teaching either. However, this is due to student demand. Institutions with newer or nicer facilities see higher enrollment than those who have older or simpler facilities. The quality of education doesn't matter to the students as much as the "college experience" does. In order to remain competitive, institutions have to upgrade their facilities.

It seems to me that if students were actually focused on education over everything else, they would choose schools that have good metrics on graduation and employment following graduation, not necessarily which school has the nicest university center or dorm rooms. Part of this problem is on the consumer.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #4283
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Because IMO the government should not regulate the quantity and content of political speech.
So instead you believe the amount of free speech and influence a person should have corresponds with the numbers in their bank account?

Last edited by rubecube; 05-17-2022 at 06:21 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:16 PM   #4284
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So instead you believe amount of free speech and influence a person should have corresponds with the numbers in their bank account?
Tbf if I were rich and spent my time whining about how hard it is to be rich I’d probably want the same. Practice some empathy rube, come on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #4285
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Madison Cawthorn lost his primary tonight. LOL, I think the guy he lost to is a big Trumper as well, but it still makes me giggle. Good riddance.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526752769352384512
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #4286
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

But Dr. Oz is losing

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #4287
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526753716036112384
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #4288
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't know anything about McCormick, but Oz and Barnette are disasters. It looks like the PA GOP voters might make the sensible choice.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:19 PM   #4289
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If Oz loses I wonder if his creepy final campaign pitch did him in..

"So, when you go to bed at night, put your head on that soft pillow, you'll know Oz will be doing exactly what you want him to do if you were there next to him,"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 06:52 AM   #4290
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oz is ahead right now, barely, but it's in automatic recount territory so the winner there won't be known for weeks. As for Cawthorn well, he broke the first rule of Cocaine Orgies: You Do Not Talk About Cocaine Orgies. Obviously future congresspeople will have taken note.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #4291
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Universities (and to some extent Canadian as well) have way too much entanglement with private enterprise to not be exploited. Start treating education as a function of government, and you will start to see some financial return that will mitigate costs to the facilities and students.

Example : a great wealth of medical research and breakthroughs are due to post secondary work. The system in place however, requires knowledge to be passed to private interest for preparation and delivery for consumption. There is obvious and rampant corruption to this system.

... a generic government department that verifies testing, follows all regulation of the FDA, shoulders liability and sells to the public under the supervision of the original researchers? Profits go back to the school system? Pharmaceutical companies must work independently. Scientists that successfully launch product are rewarded to offset staying in a non-profit setting.

Anyway, I'm out of my depth, I'll see myself out.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #4292
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Madison Cawthorn lost his primary tonight. LOL, I think the guy he lost to is a big Trumper as well, but it still makes me giggle. Good riddance.

Spoiler!

holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:47 AM   #4293
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see progressive candidate, Summer Lee, holding onto a narrow lead in PA after AIPAC tried to get involved by flooding a bunch of money and ads in support of the establishment candidate.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #4294
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the U.S. Ministry of Truth is being "paused". This is very good news.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #4295
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don’t think he lost because he is terrible. He lost because he made the mistake of trying to run in a district that had been created and gerrymandered for the State Speaker.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #4296
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cawthorn's list of terribleness.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...many-scandals/
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #4297
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #4298
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it's been happening for a while now, but pretty crazy to now have multiple examples of GOP super-PAC groups trying to drag the Democrats more to the right. This is why I think groups like the Lincoln Project should not be trusted.

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/18/...n-sinema-wing/

Quote:
A REPUBLICAN-BACKED super PAC on Tuesday fell short in its bid to intervene in a Democratic primary against Pennsylvania state Rep. Summer Lee, a 34-year-old Black woman and rising star in the party, who fended off a tsunami of outside money to best anti-union attorney Steve Irwin. The spending, from a GOP-backed super PAC linked to AIPAC — the American Israel Public Affairs Committee — left Irwin behind by less than 1,000 votes.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 03:07 PM   #4299
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Oz leads by just over 1,700 votes and Trump is telling him to challenge the result (read: claim fraud) if he loses. F them.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #4300
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Derek Sutton is right. I personally took out a $150,000 student loan because it would be great for my credit score. I look forward to putting it to good use and obtaining an assuredly quick approval on my Capital One Mastercard, with a very attractive interest rate of 21.99%.

I am glad we have intelligent, responsible, and forward thinking adults urging our children to obtain tens of thousands of dollars if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for the benefit of their extremely valuable credit score, a number which cannot be raised in any substantially less financially risky ways that I can possibly imagine.

I also think 18 year old drunk drivers should be executed on the spot. So that’s two things we agree on.
Yes, you're right. But why stop at student loans, forgive pay day loan debt, credit card debt, car loans, business loans, and mortgages too. A real solution would start with capping interest rates on (or interest free) student loans, free communitty college which Biden campaigned on, and the financial disclosure of post secondary institutions. Affordable distance education and child care programs for students with children. Simple, efficient government sponsored job programs for students including more paid co ops and more paid apprenticeship programs and providing higher/ more scholarships and bursaries for course completion and GPA. Fair incentives, fair costs and fair consequences. Not just wiping out debt on to have the cycle begin again immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Are you trying to compare the current incompetence with the previous? If so, the previous level certainly was 1000x worse.

The incompetence coming from the White House is currently connected to two Democrats in the Senate and the entire GQP or things might actually get done.
Trump is a buffoon and was called out for his buffoonery each and every time. Biden's press availability is extremely limited, like last week, when addressing the baby formula shortage, he released a prepared statement and did not meet with the media. As entertaining as I found Jen Psaki, the President, if capable, should really be more available to the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
So you watched 4 years of Trumps White House, you credulously sat by and considers injecting bleach into your arms, shining a light down your throat to kill viruses, you watched a man with a sharpie show that many many meteorologist agree with his false statements, you believed that 20,000 people in a picture was more than 200,000 people (I'm sure if we put our backs into we could come up with 300-400 equally bad examples).

Yet some giving two concrete actions being taken regarding baby formula shortages, then refusing to give definitive timelines on something, thats incompetent?

What are you trying to say here?

Did you just endure years of people laughing at the rank incompetence of someone you like and internalize that its a good line of attack?
I mean the tweets are more polite, but things, right now could not be more difficult for so many Americans then they've been in the last 70 years. Division, cost of living/ cost of everything, violence in the community, supply chain, border crisis and on and on. This list is endless and under the current Democrats not one thing has improved for anyone.

What has Biden done right? The withdrawal of the troops from Afgahnastan? Nope. Covid? "We're not going to eliminate jobs, we're going to eliminate the virus". Nope. Immigration? Nope, millions illegally crossing the border and with Title 42 set to expire, more and more undocumented migrants will enter the country each day. This government in its current from is a total failure.