Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #4861
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Well, bought a bathtub today… bath reno incoming!

So glad to get rid of what is the worst room in the house - time to make it the nicest!
Congrats on having a tub soon.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #4862
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Congrats on having a tub soon.
I bought the tub, and they had it in stock!

Made sure I don’t have to wait.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #4863
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Want to install a ceiling fan in our bedroom, but I'm 99% sure the current junction box isn't load rated. How annoying of a job am I looking at to install a brace (under an insulated attic with a popcorn ceiling)? Looks like a finicky PITA working through the small hole?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #4864
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Want to install a ceiling fan in our bedroom, but I'm 99% sure the current junction box isn't load rated. How annoying of a job am I looking at to install a brace (under an insulated attic with a popcorn ceiling)? Looks like a finicky PITA working through the small hole?
Can you get there from the attic? (As sucky as it is be be in them, it may be much less frustrating)
Old 05-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #4865
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I used this in the first house I was in. I'm sure it ####s up the VB though.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ste...4686?rrec=true
Old 05-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #4866
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure what the code says, but you can buy ceiling fan boxs that don't have the brace. They're just rated to a lower weight. 35lbs or something.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ibe...d90/1000805176
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 02:37 PM   #4867
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Can you get there from the attic? (As sucky as it is be be in them, it may be much less frustrating)
It's pretty far from the access hatch so it probably won't be much fun, either.

We have a couple tiny electrical jobs that we'd like eventually, so I'm talking myself into just getting a pro since it may be worth it in the $$-PITA ratio, especially since we want to get a pretty big fan (so it can move lots of air running slowly).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #4868
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Was going to call to have our upstairs carpet cleaned, but the wife asked about replacing it with hardwood. The main floor is all engineered wood, and the master bedroom is engineered wood too, so it'd be the bonus room and 2 smaller bedrooms and the hall.

Anyone do this and like it/regret it? I hate carpet, but that is a lot of $$ to do and it might be hard to match the existing stuff.

Could go with something like vinyl or laminate, but would that look even weirder? Plus the resale value of the house having wood to match the rest seems better.

And the stairs, would it be better to still get carpet for the stairs?
Old 05-19-2022, 11:28 PM   #4869
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Was going to call to have our upstairs carpet cleaned, but the wife asked about replacing it with hardwood. The main floor is all engineered wood, and the master bedroom is engineered wood too, so it'd be the bonus room and 2 smaller bedrooms and the hall.

Anyone do this and like it/regret it? I hate carpet, but that is a lot of $$ to do and it might be hard to match the existing stuff.

Could go with something like vinyl or laminate, but would that look even weirder? Plus the resale value of the house having wood to match the rest seems better.

We had our upstairs + stairs replaced with hardwood and I love it. Doesn't perfectly match our main floor hardwood but we looked for a product that was pretty close in colour and we did white risers on the stairs so it breaks it up nicely.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #4870
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
We had our upstairs + stairs replaced with hardwood and I love it. Doesn't perfectly match our main floor hardwood but we looked for a product that was pretty close in colour and we did white risers on the stairs so it breaks it up nicely.
We also did this and have never looked back. Only difference was our entire upstairs was carpet and we have tile where the stairs land on the main floor so no worries about trying to match anything.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #4871
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Carpet is safer, but you can get some fairly safe wood nose risers these days. Or you can do a carpet strip with wood on the sides.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #4872
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Carpet is safer, but you can get some fairly safe wood nose risers these days. Or you can do a carpet strip with wood on the sides.
Have had full hardwood stairs on a curved staircase with 3 little kids. 15 years later only one fall and it was because one of them was on their phone.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #4873
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

After having a clumsy 3 year old take a couple of small tumbles down our stairs, I'm very glad they're carpeted
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #4874
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Have had full hardwood stairs on a curved staircase with 3 little kids. 15 years later only one fall and it was because one of them was on their phone.
Curved staircases are much safer than straight stairs.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #4875
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that true (honest question)? Seems almost counter intuitive.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #4876
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a perhaps quick one for the CP brain trust.

I've got a GC who dropped off an invoice two weeks ago and has recently followed up about payment. Our contract stipulates 7 days for payment but when I received the bill I had some questions that have not been addressed yet. When he followed up I asked if he's had a chance to address the errors yet and then I'm happy to pay. The errors with one of his subs were as follows:
Section 1 - Claims works is 100% complete and is requesting full payment but this work is not 100% complete yet.
Section 2 - Cost increase of 26% with no additional details. There were minor scope changes to this work but between deletions and increases it should be a wash. This one is minor and on it's own I'd likely pay and move on.
Section 3 - Cost increase of 51% with no additional details and no scope change. This one is more significant and I'd like to know why the estimate was so off.

Earlier in the project I paid the first invoice within days and there were deficiencies that were noticed later on. These deficiencies have never been addressed (after 8 months) so I'm feeling a little burnt on that one which is leading to my hesitation on paying an invoice for work that is not completed in full yet.

Am I being unreasonable? I'm trying to be amicable about this and see the project through but after months of delays, poor quality work and random cost increases I feel like we're being pushed around and this feels like one of my only courses of action.

Thoughts?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #4877
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Never bothered to check the stats. But with the less width of the stair on the inside of the curve, I would think otherwise. But then again, I might have cared more about the esthetics than my kids
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #4878
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about commercial curved staircases, so yeah a residential curved would probably be less safe unless the tread length matched code on the widest part, which is hard to do in a house.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #4879
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I need to replace the eavestrough on one side of my house. Currently tin.

Any suggestions for going with Tin vs Vinyl for the replacement?
Old 05-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #4880
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a short section of vinyl on my shed, and it's fine for that. I wouldn't use it on a house. Too much warping in the heat, and it's tough to have it secure enough to really get the flow consistent. If it is a long section you are better to have it made as a continuous gutter, and only a pro can do that. I used Transcanada Exteriors for my garage, and the price was reasonable and service good.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: