Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #141
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Walker Duehr would be a good call up.
For those arguing that Ritchie's role isn't suitable for Phillips to do, it is suitable for this guy?

I'd also add was Ritchie only signed to complete expansion requirements?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #142
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
For those arguing that Ritchie's role isn't suitable for Phillips to do, it is suitable for this guy?
Walker Duher?

Yes.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:17 PM   #143
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

nm

Last edited by transplant99; 01-25-2022 at 09:19 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #144
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Walker Duehr isn't nearly as talented as Matthew Phillips and he hasn't done much in Stockton this year to earn an audition. Just 12 points in 25 games, and he's a year older. Doesn't get much special teams time.

If they're gonna recall someone solely to be a big body presence, I'd sooner go with Tuulola. But I don't think either of those guys has much of a chance to move the needle in Calgary this year. They just don't have the necessary skill.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 01-25-2022 at 10:55 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #145
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It is not time to call up Matthew Philips of Walker Duehr

The Flames just got off of the league wide shutdown that their Covid spread was the epicentre, and followed it up with 3 in 4 against the Eastern conference murderers’ row. A desperate Edmonton team on a huge losing streak with help from the refs and Markstrom win, and this thread is born

It’s time to let the boys who matter get back in a rhythm without thinking a minor leaguer is going to right the ship
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:56 PM   #146
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames are short three or four "boys who matter" up front, is the problem. Brad Richardson and Brett Ritchie should not be in the NHL in the year 2022, much less playing on the same team on the same night.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 01:31 AM   #147
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd rather see what the dinky toy can do on the fourth line than trot this guy back out there again:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1485907986170073089

The goal of the NHL isn't to be big. It's to score more goals than the other team. And Phillips has done all he can to prove he can score at every level except the NHL, because he hasn't yet been given the chance.

We know Brett Ritchie can't score (or do much of anything else). Tyler Pitlick and Brad Richardson are in the same boat. Even in the 7–1 win over St. Louis, Ritchie's shot differential was somehow only barely in the black. Why is he still in the NHL?
I'd give dinky a 2-3 game peek-a-boo. But I'm not Brad Treliving or Darryl Sutter
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:30 AM   #148
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

We bag on Monahan for losing a step...look at Ritchie's stat line. That guy has lost his NHL abilities a few years ago.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #149
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
We bag on Monahan for losing a step...look at Ritchie's stat line. That guy has lost his NHL abilities a few years ago.
If Ritchie was making $6.5M on a continuing cap hit he'd be more relevant to bag on.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #150
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
We bag on Monahan for losing a step...look at Backlund's stat line.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #151
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think part of the reason the Flames have the veteran 4th line - outside of Sutter's preference - is that the drafts where you'd expect guys to start to slot into 4th line roles were essentially barren.

We had 1 pick in the top 100 between the 2017 and 2018 draft. For comparison - in the last 2 drafts - we had 9 top 100 picks.

You'd obviously hope Valimaki will become a regular as the 16th pick. But everyone else in those drafts were 4th rounders and below. So you end up wishing on a tiny 6th rounder and undrafted guys to come save the 4th line. You just don't have the guys in the system now like Markus Granlund or Lance Bouma who while didn't have great careers, they can be NHLers for 4-5 years and fill those roles.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn’t Duehr one of the last guys to be sent down before the season? I think Sutter likes him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #153
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I am not here to defend Ritchie but in what world can Phillips fill his role?

Richie isnt a point producer, but he is sound defensively and is vary hard to play against because of his size and how he uses it. Its a role Darryl Sutter deems essential to make his teams successful. MP cannot do those things..period. It would be a complete waste of his real talent to even try him there. I think that much is obvious.

If he is on the team it has to be in a top 2/offensive line role. Who are you bumping to make room for him while remembering who his coach is?

If (god forbid)a Dube/Mangiapane/Gaudreau go down with injury then sure....call him up and let him have a go at things. Until such an opening exists though, there is no point and would see him watching from the press box which does neither him nor the team any favors.
Phillips doesn't "fill" Ritchie's role, he establishes his own role based on his net positive contributions on the ice. And he is perfectly fine defensively.

If you go back to the Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway line you have a prototype for how a 4th line needs to play. You can't fill the role of any of those indoviduals but you can certainly have a line makeup that brings the same aggregate attributes. Put a responsible vet like Pitlick or Lewis alongside Phillips and Ruzicka and let them establish their niche.

Because Brett Ritchie's niche is not helping.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #154
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
We bag on Monahan for losing a step...look at Backlund's stat line.
Honestly I give a bit of a pass to some of the bottom 9 production because the lines weren't ideal all season as we tried to put Pitlick, Richardson, Lewis, and Ritchie across the lineup instead of just as a 4th line and because the on-ice shooting percentage is ridiculously low.

Backlund's on-ice shooting percentage is 4.9%.
Coleman's is 5.82%.
Monahan's is 5.36%

That is way below those guys career averages.

I hope now that the lines are constructed in a way that makes the most sense we see that normalize a bit.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-26-2022 at 10:27 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #155
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Backlund, Coleman and Monahan are a PDO bump away from not being an issue.

I am not that worried. This team is straight up ridiculously good now that COVID is out of their system.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:27 PM   #156
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Backlund, Coleman and Monahan are a PDO bump away from not being an issue.

I am not that worried. This team is straight up ridiculously good now that COVID is out of their system.

They were starting to show the lack of secondary scoring, 4 games before they got Covid. Remember 2018, just before the all star break? People used the all break as an excuse, but we started to show significant drop in numbers 7 games leading up to it.

I don’t want another deadline to come and go, where, Treliving doesn’t do anything to improve scoring, and just brings in another 3rd pairing defenseman.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #157
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

They must have heard me tonight
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote