Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #1661
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ to me going with less knobs should make a faster rolling tire, but, i feel like the tire would be more susceptible to flats if you are riding on gravel.

a new saddle should make it more comfortable, but a saddle is a hard thing to buy online as there is a fitting component involved.

Might help if you could post a picture of your rig.

If you have hills to deal with, a different cassette might be worth considering
Old 04-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #1662
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ to me going with less knobs should make a faster rolling tire, but, i feel like the tire would be more susceptible to flats if you are riding on gravel.

a new saddle should make it more comfortable, but a saddle is a hard thing to buy online as there is a fitting component involved.

Might help if you could post a picture of your rig.

If you have hills to deal with, a different cassette might be worth considering

I was thinking the same about the tires but most (about 95%) is on the road. I might only go on those gravel trails a couple times a year. I was thinking about a new seat but the stock one doesn't bother me too much. I could probably just add a gel cover to it. Yes, lots of hills out here in the east. Biking would have been much more enjoyable when I lived in Calgary! Here's what the bike looks like....

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #1663
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not get a gel seat cover, they are nonsense. If you are riding much, just get some proper bike shorts with a chamois built in. If you don't want spandex you can get ones sewn in to shorts, but I prefer just wearing a light pair of shorts over top.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #1664
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shane, those slick tires are bulletproof, I put 10,000 + km on a set of Continentals like that.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #1665
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Shane, those slick tires are bulletproof, I put 10,000 + km on a set of Continentals like that.
Agree, I put between 6,000 and 8,000 on my slicks with at least 500k of gravel on them. In my experience knobs give you traction, absolutely nothing to do with longevity.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redflamesfan08 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #1666
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright - seems like Chariot is the way to go then. Thanks CP!

PS - anyone have a used one they might want to sell?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #1667
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have not historically done a lot of gravel grinding, but i guess i would ahve just thoughts tires with some knobs on them offer some slightly increased resistance to flats on gravel/off road riding

yeah, there are lots of great baggie shorts out there. These allow you to be comfy, carry your cell and/or a snack (as most have at least a cargo pocket) and keep your modesty if you make a pit stop on the ride. Do not get a gel seat cover - you are better off getting a seat that fits (sometimes with seats the small narrow ones are more comfortable than something wide and plush).

One other consideration could be changing your handlebar stem to somehting shorter or longer depending on how you want to position your body - i prefer shorter myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
Agree, I put between 6,000 and 8,000 on my slicks with at least 500k of gravel on them. In my experience knobs give you traction, absolutely nothing to do with longevity.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #1668
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do not get a gel seat cover, they are nonsense. If you are riding much, just get some proper bike shorts with a chamois built in. If you don't want spandex you can get ones sewn in to shorts, but I prefer just wearing a light pair of shorts over top.

I agree... no gel covers. That soft squishy stuff goes into your crack(s) and causes more issues. Counter intuitively a firm seat quickly becomes more comfy, however you need to be riding at least weekly to get your butt used to riding, get your seat angle, fore/aft, and height setup. No need to spend a ton of money on bike shorts... the cheap stuff from MEC is fine, just wear your chosen baggies over top. Like all things, it's trial and error and more expensive doesn't always equate to better for you.

Also regarding efficiency... yes it's nice to think you have less rolling resistance but keep in mind the gravel or short dirt paths you may take, also the rubber may be a little thicker with some knobs making it more resilient. Nothing worse that going 5% faster only to get a lot more flats. Also your drivetrain efficiency makes a big difference - keep it clean and properly lubed (NOT WD40), as will nice shifting and brakes.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #1669
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Don't wear underwear under your cycling shorts. The chamois (padding) is meant to be directly on your skin.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #1670
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Don't wear underwear under your cycling shorts. The chamois (padding) is meant to be directly on your skin.
Come on, you have to let him try it like that for a week or 2! Incomplete internet tips are the best types of tips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #1671
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I ride those rail trails outside of Halifax quite a bit, and they are generally in quite good shape. I would absolutely get a minimal tread tire for that and wouldn’t worry about punctures.

And your complaining about hills out there compared to here? It’s like flat prairie out there compared to Cochrane . You must’ve lived in the South or East, where Ktrain does his riding.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #1672
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious, are any Canadian-made ebike brands out there? If not, USA or Europe-made? I'm in the market for a family member, and trying to keep the $ as close to home as possible.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #1673
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pulled the trigger on a set of the Tannus airless tires for my summer commuter. Lifesport carries them and are installing them for me.

https://tannusamerica.com/collection...nnus-new-slick
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #1674
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Curious, are any Canadian-made ebike brands out there? If not, USA or Europe-made? I'm in the market for a family member, and trying to keep the $ as close to home as possible.
I would get in touch with Bike Bike in Inglewood. They have a few US based brands that they stock. It's likely going to be bigger $$$ to keep things more local but I appreciate the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Pulled the trigger on a set of the Tannus airless tires for my summer commuter. Lifesport carries them and are installing them for me.

https://tannusamerica.com/collection...nnus-new-slick
Fun! Let us know how they go. You'd be a solid test candidate for how capable they are in all weather conditions.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #1675
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Fun! Let us know how they go. You'd be a solid test candidate for how capable they are in all weather conditions.
I'll definitely update with some ride reports once I'm up and running. I was hoping to have some fun with the colours but Lifesport only had the regular hardness (equivalent to 105psi) in the city grey. Still it's a lighter grey that should contrast nicely with the matte black of my bike.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #1676
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not really their are a handful . To be honest yhe brands that do make them in the usa are not very good. They tend to source out cheap parts and cheap electric components. Besides that why would it really matter ? The electric systems are all made over seas whether it is China,Poland or Germany. The tires are made over seas, the components are made over seas, no ebike is coming stock with anything like Paul, King or white industries.

I also do tend to prefer the quality of a Taiwanese built frame to be honest. Taiwan has some of the best welders in the world. Yes, the over seas bikes are still hand welded as are parts like forks and even racks. The Taiwanese welders generally have more experience building frames and parts than most north American made bikes as they produce a much larger quantities than a boutique welder will do in their life.

The big reasons people love the boutique brands like Naked,Firefly, Deferf,Mike Truelove, 44bikes, etc . Is you do get a percetly sized frame but the big thing is they get a story along with their bike. That comes with a big price tho, aroumd 2500 to 2900 for a steel frame up to 5000 for a Titanuim bike.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 04-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just spent a couple hours converting the commuter to summer mode. Swapped the tires, replaced the chain(it was stretched 1.75 links!) cleaned and lubed the jockey cogs, and gave it a nice bath. Now I just need a commute again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #1678
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just spent a couple hours converting the commuter to summer mode. Swapped the tires, replaced the chain(it was stretched 1.75 links!) cleaned and lubed the jockey cogs, and gave it a nice bath. Now I just need a commute again!
If it's clean bring it into the house and ride from the kitchen to wherever your computer/office is set up. Not much of a commute but still a commute nonetheless.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #1679
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If it's clean bring it into the house and ride from the kitchen to wherever your computer/office is set up. Not much of a commute but still a commute nonetheless.
That's a lot of stairs...Had I been 20 again, and not married I might have attempted that...it's sure to be a quick way to go from married to not married.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #1680
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
That's a lot of stairs...Had I been 20 again, and not married I might have attempted that...it's sure to be a quick way to go from married to not married.
Is there a Strava segment for that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: