Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #221
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

For push ups I use my stairs, I put my feet up on the 5th or 6th stair and my hands on the floor and do elevated pushups. Much harder than regular but still provides stability unlike handstand push-ups which there is no way I could do

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #222
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
For push ups I use my stairs, I put my feet up on the 5th or 6th stair and my hands on the floor and do elevated pushups. Much harder than regular but still provides stability unlike handstand push-ups which there is no way I could do
On the stairs, start in that elevated push up position you describe. Pike your legs and bend at the waist, walking your hands back toward the stairs until you are in an overhead press position. This is a modified handstand push up and can help you work your way up to the real thing. You could also use a wall to get up into a handstand, and slowly lower yourself to the ground to build strength through the pressing range of motion once these get too easy.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #223
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Pushups and bodyweight squats all day. All the time.
Do you want to expand on it? Try the One Punch Man Workout.

https://squatwolf.com/blog/one-punch-man-workout/

- 100 push ups
- 100 sit ups
- 100 squats
- 10 KM run

Every day. Yeah, this workout is often mentioned as a gag, but it actually has a pretty high baseline. The average every man is probably going to think it's a difficult workout and many who are athletic are going to think it's too easy.

The closest I've ever gotten to achieving this before was a boot campand we did:

- 20/20/20/15/10/10/5 push ups and sit ups alternating
- 2.5 ish KM uphill, 2.5 ish KM downhill = 5 ish KM round trip x 2 = 10 KM (It was supposedly slightly less, so we would add a little bit by running an extra lap around the compound waiting for the stragglers to get back which would bring us to around 11 KM total).
- No squats, but we did 100 jumping jacks in the 20/20/20/15/10/10/5 set alternating sequence.

I did that 3 days in a row after 1 week building up to that level. I never did exceed that level afterwards, and what I did at that boot camp isn't even on the same level as the One Punch Man workout. If I could do the One Punch Man workout, I bet I'd be very happy with my strength and endurance.

That boot camp was over a decade ago at my absolute peak athletic levels and strengths. The body felt awesome back then and I always felt like I had strength to spare for whatever I needed to do. I honestly always liked this type of non gym workout because it always felt much more like functional strength. I could never really compete at the gym and some of my max weights and reps even at my peak were wimpy as hell. But ask me to carry, lift, push, pull etc. in normal every day conditions and I always felt great and felt like I was carrying my load more stable/faster/less breaks than others much beefier than I.

Currently, 20% of that workout split into equal sets would probably destroy me (bad back, neck and knees issues). I think I'll try 10% of that workout tonight with back and knee support and see where I am at tomorrow. I have a little guy at home, so being workout sore the next day isn't really an option for me. I wonder if I could bring myself up to around 50% in about a month...

I also really liked the results from yoga. I really should do basic vinyasa flows for 10-20 minutes a day just for the flexibility/balance alone.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #224
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sorry not a door frame one, we are getting one that will bolt into one our beams in the basement.

thanks thou
We have one of these in our basement as well. Life-saver. And yes, so many push-ups..I need to try these incline ones I keep hearing about. So hot right now
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 AM   #225
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumb question... Before I wrecked my back and got lazy, when regular push ups got "too easy", I'd to triangle push ups. I recall reaching 10-15 triangle push ups was around the strength necessary to do around 1-3 one handed push ups.

What's the main difference between headstand push ups vs higher amounts of diamond/triangle push ups and 1 handed push ups?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #226
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

for the guys wanting different pushups - these are the pushups in the p90x routine...

standard pushup -self explanatory
wide pushup - standard pushup, but hands are just wider apart
military pushup - hands are in tight against your body (hands beside pecs). elbows go back, not out.
decline pushup - standard push up with feet elevated
diamond pushup - spread fingers apart & bring hands 'together' - index fingers touch each other, thumbs touch each other. at the bottom on the pushup your chest should hit you hands. to make it a little easier, spread your hands apart an inch or two
dive-bomber pushup - start in a 'downward dog' position but with wide hands and wide feet. 'dive' down with your nose and then push up all while going forward. then do it in reverse starting your dive with your butt. like you are trying to get under a fence.
slow-mo pushups - standard pushups.... but really slow (a slow 4 count down, slow 4 count back up). first 4 pushups hands are in standard position, next 4 bring hands closer, final 4, hands in close (military style push up... but slow!)
plange pushup - hands in close by rib cage, fingers spread wide, thumbs face forward, elbows go back. at top of push up raise the middle of your back up.
floor flys - start in a standard pushup position. as you drop down slide one hand out to the side. bring the wide hand back in as you push up. do 4 with your left hand going out, then switch to 4 with your right hand going out. then repeat, repeat, repeat!
two-twitch speed pushups - standard width. 4 fast pushups, 3 slow pushups (4 slow count down, 4 slow count up). then repeat, repeat, repeat!
side-to-side pushups - standard width, bring right foot/hand in to touch left foot/hand. step left foot/hand out to the left, do a pushup. bring left foot/hand in to touch right foot/hand. step right foot/hand out to the right, do a pushup. then repeat, repeat, repeat.
one-arm pushups - wide feet, standard width for hands. put one hand on your back, do a pushup. switch hands, do a pushup. repeat, repeat, repeat!
clap pushups - wide hands, wide feet. at top of pushup, clap your hands.
one-arm balance pushups - standard pushup. at top of pushup, bring your ankles together, leave your left hand on the ground, roll onto your left ankle (so your right foot is on top of your left foot). at the same time put your right arm/hand up, look up at your right hand. come down and do the same thing, but with your right side down. repeat, repeat, repeat.

p90x3 uses lots of these and add a couple others....
staggered pushups - right hand is standard width, left hand is in military position. do as many as you can. then do this again, but switch your hand position. so left hand is standard width, right hand is in military position.
fly pushups - hands at 'wide pushup' width. come down over a slow 4 count, then explode up
pike press - hands close (military width). make an "A" shape with your body (bum in the air), legs are straight, up on your toes. elbows go out, not back when you go down. (not sure if this is part of the pushups - might be more shoulders)

if anyone who has done p90x, p90x3 has better descriptions please feel free to add.

Last edited by bc-chris; 04-01-2020 at 10:45 AM.
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #227
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
FYI, These things can only hold as much weight as your door frame.
This sounds like the warning of a man who has been burned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Dumb question... Before I wrecked my back and got lazy, when regular push ups got "too easy", I'd to triangle push ups. I recall reaching 10-15 triangle push ups was around the strength necessary to do around 1-3 one handed push ups.

What's the main difference between headstand push ups vs higher amounts of diamond/triangle push ups and 1 handed push ups?
Handstand push ups are like an overhead press and work more deltoid/shoulders vs push ups as more chest. Diamond push ups reduced your base of support and put contribution to triceps and a different part of your chest/pec. 1 handed is simply more load.

Ps for all those doing a lot of 'push' exercises, make sure you're doing a decent amount of 'pull' - rows (lie underneath a broom that is across two chairs), pull ups, single arm dumbell/water jug/whatever you can find rows, etc.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #228
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I worked way too hard for two years post-brain injury to have everything fall apart the last month with no access to rehab, gym, or even my winter staple 8000-10000-steps a day mall walks (until seventh winter ends and its safe to go far and fast outside again, anyway) I went from not walking, to a walker, to canes, walking sticks, then all on my own. And now we're going in reverse. It's rather terrifying how quickly my muscles are atrophying

i'm trying to order a rowing machine. the one I was using was a concept2, but they're backordered everywhere I've contacted. Flaman Fitness said they'd be getting ~75 Stairmaster HIIT Rowers in today, but I dont know anything about them - and for $1500, thats a pretty big roll of the dice.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #229
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe check Apple Fitness. They've been great to deal with. And they have the Concept 2 on their website. They dont look cheap though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #230
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have two 35 pound kettle bells which provides limitless workouts. Plus a few dogs to walk.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #231
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the upper-body is pretty easy to exercise at home. Same goes for cardio.

For me, the real struggle is legs. There aren't many great substitutes for squats, leg press, etc. Pretty tough to maintain strength. Lunge variations can only take you so far.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 04-07-2020 at 11:12 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #232
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
It seems like the upper-body is pretty easy to exercise at home. Same goes for cardio.

For me, the real struggle is legs. There aren't many great substitutes for squats, leg press, etc. Pretty tough to maintain strength. Lunge variations can only take you so far.

If you really focus on the quality of the rep rather than the weight or number of reps, you will get a much better workout...in any exercise. Really try to make each rep the most difficult it can be and use the best form. Bounce at the bottom. Focus your brain on the muscle you are targeting. Squeeze as hard as you can. It makes all the difference.

I like Bulgarian split squats at home although those might be a lunge variation. You don't need much weigh if you do them right. You can add a jump to every rep too. Proper focus on the rep will get you sore.

Pistol squats are ok but I need a pole or something to aid each rep. You likely won't be able to do them unassisted for a while.

There are a million little leg muscle workout you can do to get more athletic and well rounded that don't take much weight. They're just not too common in the actual gym but they're important none the less.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #233
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those of you who want something a little different too. Yoga Sarana YYC is offering scheduled online classes for free during this time. They are good for all abilities as they show many modifications. Just need to register for classes 60 minutes prior to them being scheduled. All free still.

http://yogasarana.com/

Last edited by brocoli; 04-08-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: phrasing
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #234
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how's everybody's workouts going so far? I feel I can replicate arms day and shoulders day decently well, but today was chest which is always frustrating..its just not even close to the same as the gym. Yeah yeah pushups, I know..its just not the same, and it's so boring after a while haha. I miss the good old fashioned bench press so much!

And yeah legs are hard too, but I have a bad left knee so I tend to go pretty easy on legs even when the gyms were still open. I've just been doing body weight squats, good enough.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #235
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So how's everybody's workouts going so far? I feel I can replicate arms day and shoulders day decently well, but today was chest which is always frustrating..its just not even close to the same as the gym. Yeah yeah pushups, I know..its just not the same, and it's so boring after a while haha. I miss the good old fashioned bench press so much!

And yeah legs are hard too, but I have a bad left knee so I tend to go pretty easy on legs even when the gyms were still open. I've just been doing body weight squats, good enough.
I tried doing 15% of the one punch man workout I posted earlier. 4 days in, I hurt my back doing it.

I think I'll see if I can do 10% in a few days and consider breaking apart the workout into several activities throughout the day vs doing it all in a single sitting.

It's not to say I have been doing completely nothing though. Chasing a kid around is a heck of a workout. Snow shoveling and clearing out ice in the gutter/curb to get rid of pools of water takes a bit of energy too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #236
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I tried doing 15% of the one punch man workout I posted earlier. 4 days in, I hurt my back doing it.

I think I'll see if I can do 10% in a few days and consider breaking apart the workout into several activities throughout the day vs doing it all in a single sitting.

It's not to say I have been doing completely nothing though. Chasing a kid around is a heck of a workout. Snow shoveling and clearing out ice in the gutter/curb to get rid of pools of water takes a bit of energy too.
Attempting to run 10km every day without a base and especially without any adaptation phase is a recipe for injury.

I would suggest 3x a week and start with walk/jogs (ie 5 jog 2 walk) to get your body used to it. It should take at least 6 weeks depending on your background to work up to anything close to running every day.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #237
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I miss my gym. Don't have a ton of space, so find enough room to do some of the body weight exercises is a pain.

Also the switch from the treadmill/stair-master to concrete is not playing nice with the legs when I do my cardio.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #238
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Attempting to run 10km every day without a base and especially without any adaptation phase is a recipe for injury.

I would suggest 3x a week and start with walk/jogs (ie 5 jog 2 walk) to get your body used to it. It should take at least 6 weeks depending on your background to work up to anything close to running every day.
No, no. I was doing 15%. So 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, 15 squats and 1.5 km run/jog/walk.

I thought that was light enough as an adaptation phase, but apparently not because I strained my back doing it on the 4th consecutive day at 15%.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #239
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how accurate Fitbit's are for calories burned in a day I am constantly burning over 3300 a day apparently which I think is high and its confusing as to how much I should eat to try and put on muscle I have upped my calories to about 2900 a day and have always had a tough time putting on muscle I have a very lean body type
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #240
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Does anyone know how accurate Fitbit's are for calories burned in a day I am constantly burning over 3300 a day apparently which I think is high and its confusing as to how much I should eat to try and put on muscle I have upped my calories to about 2900 a day and have always had a tough time putting on muscle I have a very lean body type
How tall are you, age, weight and how much exercise are you doing?
That seems high, but it depends on your size, age, what you're doing.

Also make sure your settings are right. If you've input the age or weight wrong for example it will greatly impact the calorie burn estimates you get since it basically measures your heat rate and runs some calculations off those inputs.

I'm 5'11, 36, started the year at 194lbs.
I burn around 2700-2800 calories per day and workout 6 days a week. I've been eating 2200 calories for a deficit and down to 178 lbs (16 lb loss over 14 weeks).

3300 seems quite high unless you're much bigger than me.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: