Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #2601
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking at working with a home builder to build a townhome. It is about 1300sq ft + 600sq ft developed basement.

Is it worth the upgrades? ie. worth the upgrade for potential future resale?

Ensuite floor heating, tankless water heater, central vacuum (although I feel a dyson can do the job), carpet or laminate in basement? (price is negligible).

Thank guys!
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #2602
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think floor heating yes. Totally impossible to add later and really nice to have. Tankless water heater no. Central Vac rough in at least so future buyers could add their own if they want. A vacpan in the kitchen is pretty handy. I like carpet in the basement. Next guy will like laminate so do the one you like. 50/50
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #2603
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The condo I bought has rough-in central vac. I see the outlets on the walls but can find no obvious evidence of piping in the basement or attached garage; what should I be looking for?
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #2604
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

In floor heating yes yes yes. A tankless water heater is a big meh (I haven't installed one in 4 years now but I still would'nt advise it). Vacuflo I would install for sure. Even if you dont use it, a future buyer might.

Also consider under cabinet lighting in the kitchen, stairwell lighting, and I would 100% have a 7.1 home theater sound system installed in the living room
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #2605
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

No clue about tankless water heater but 100% yes for in floor heating, and you wont regret it. Had it put in the basement bathroom and its awesome. You could get the rough in for central vac and then add it later if you want (thats what I did).
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #2606
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty much do anything in your budget that would be a PITA to do later.
100% get the floor heating. Also double the sinks in the master bath for sure.
Tankless vs tank is comparatively easy to do after.
Rough in that vacuum at minimum.
Choose the flooring that you want. Again comparatively easy to change after. Make sure you upgrade the carpet underpad though.
Review the lighting. It's much easier to not use a light switch, than to end up relying on 5 lamps because electrical pulls are near impossible without tearing drywall.
Cat 5 is another popular upgrade.

I personally wouldn't do 7.1 speakers since there are enough wireless options out there and it doesn't add personal value to me.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #2607
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Pretty much do anything in your budget that would be a PITA to do later.
100% get the floor heating. Also double the sinks in the master bath for sure.
Tankless vs tank is comparatively easy to do after.
Rough in that vacuum at minimum.
Choose the flooring that you want. Again comparatively easy to change after. Make sure you upgrade the carpet underpad though.
Review the lighting. It's much easier to not use a light switch, than to end up relying on 5 lamps because electrical pulls are near impossible without tearing drywall.
Cat 5 is another popular upgrade.

I personally wouldn't do 7.1 speakers since there are enough wireless options out there and it doesn't add personal value to me.

If you really want to future proof, I'd adjust this to Cat6a at least. Higher throughput capabilities on this one, who knows what people will want to do it 10+ years. If money wasn't an issue, I'd do this, it would allow me to have every room in the house capable of doing 10gb/s
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #2608
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone know where I can buy Bona or Loba flooding finishes, as a non-contractor in town? Or recommend something other than the junk sold at HD or Lowe’s?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #2609
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
Looking at working with a home builder to build a townhome. It is about 1300sq ft + 600sq ft developed basement.

Is it worth the upgrades? ie. worth the upgrade for potential future resale?

Ensuite floor heating, tankless water heater, central vacuum (although I feel a dyson can do the job), carpet or laminate in basement? (price is negligible).

Thank guys!
You will not get good value on resale in a townhouse condo.

All people are going to care about is the comp's.

If your complex has dozens of units that are all similar (with varying levels of 'upgrades') they will all sell for similar prices. Your upgraded unit might sell quicker, have more viewings and it might sell for a little bit more (if you can find the correct buyers) but $50k in upgrades will not mean $50k+ in added value when you go to sell it.

Now if you 'want' upgrades then do them. But $5k for in-floor heating in the bathrooms will not equal >$5k when you go to sell.

Last edited by rohara66; 04-08-2020 at 04:08 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2610
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Anyone know where I can buy Bona or Loba flooding finishes, as a non-contractor in town? Or recommend something other than the junk sold at HD or Lowe’s?

Bona is a good floor cleaner and can be bought at Home Depot.

Do not get Rejuvenate. My wife bought some for our hardwood floor and it left waxy/cloudy streaks on it. The bottle said it was good for our type of floor but not so much.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #2611
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Bona is a good floor cleaner and can be bought at Home Depot.

Do not get Rejuvenate. My wife bought some for our hardwood floor and it left waxy/cloudy streaks on it. The bottle said it was good for our type of floor but not so much.
Sorry, I meant flooring finish. Need the actual waterborne polyurethane.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #2612
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Check at Timber Town, maybe?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #2613
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Any recommendations for dealing with drainage? Contractors you've worked with - stuff to consider, etc?

Our backyard is a swimming pool of snow melt in the middle right now (which is a concrete pathway, which probably doesn't help) and the water's not going anywhere cause the yard is sloped kinda like this and pools in the middle... \_/ The one neighbour's yard is a bit higher too so it's more like

(neighbour) ________
...................my yard \____/

(oh yeah, look at that sweet drawing, that might even be to scale!)

In addition to the backyard, our side-yard/path slopes toward the house, as does the area between my garage and the neighbours.
Gutters seem to drain in dumb places too. (right on the pathway so that it ices up nicely this time of year...seriously, wtf, who does that?)

Last edited by Torture; 04-09-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #2614
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Any recommendations for dealing with drainage? Contractors you've worked with - stuff to consider, etc?

Our backyard is a swimming pool of snow melt in the middle right now (which is a concrete pathway, which probably doesn't help) and the water's not going anywhere cause the yard is sloped kinda like this and pools in the middle... \_/ The one neighbour's yard is a bit higher too so it's more like

(neighbour) ________
...................my yard \____/

(oh yeah, look at that sweet drawing, that might even be to scale!)

In addition to the backyard, our side-yard/path slopes toward the house, as does the area between my garage and the neighbours.
Gutters seem to drain in dumb places too. (right on the pathway so that it ices up nicely this time of year...seriously, wtf, who does that?)
For gutters beside the house, I was advised to use a 2x4 to build kind of arch and have the gutters follow that and drain 2-3 feet away from the side of the building (preferably into plants). This way no one trips on the gutter extension, ice doesn't pool on the side path or drain back into the house and thirsty plants get a sip of water. I hear hiring guys to do gutters is inexpensive and cheaper than doing yourself because they have all the equipment and are good at it. Plus I hear you need at least two guys to do it effectively and efficiently.

Not totally sure about how your yard is set up, but if there's no lower grade space you can drain to, I've seen people bury plastic tubing several inches below the ground and angled towards the edges of the yard so that the water drains towards plants.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #2615
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

We had a contractor come from A Green Future today and he quoted 15-20k to dig up the entire yard, Install piping, a French drain, etc, etc.... Seemed a bit like overkill. Have another one coming tomorrow.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #2616
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I couldn’t find it locally anywhere a couple years ago that would sell to the public. I went to TRC and talked the guy into selling me some. I imagine with so many things closed it’ll be tough to find.

Great product though.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:08 AM   #2617
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Picked some finish up from Smith Bros (really helpful).

Side note: This project is everything that absolutely sucks about DYI. Back and forth to Home Depot tool rentals because product X wasn't right and product Y didn't work yada yada yada, everything taking WAY longer than you imagine, back breaking work culminating in a filthy house, a bill that rivals a contractors rate, constant arguments with the SO, and an end product with flaws you just can't ignore.

Absolutely miserable project.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #2618
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Window is broken in my rental house. Do we have any window replace/fixing gurus on CP. I would like to try and support a small business to get it repaired.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #2619
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Window is broken in my rental house. Do we have any window replace/fixing gurus on CP. I would like to try and support a small business to get it repaired.
Do you have a Crystal Glass around, the one in Moose Jaw made me a new double pane glazing and threw it in for way less than I was expecting when my picture window was broken.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #2620
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Do you have a Crystal Glass around, the one in Moose Jaw made me a new double pane glazing and threw it in for way less than I was expecting when my picture window was broken.
Yup lots! I will give them a call
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote