Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #141
Lucky23
Draft Pick

I really believe Benny needs a long playoff run to consistently play at a high level, and hopefully it can transition into the regular season after a long playoff run.
Lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #142
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it’s pretty clear Bennett needs to be playing centre. I’m just happy we have a coach that finally figured this out.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #143
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
I think it’s pretty clear Bennett needs to be playing centre. I’m just happy we have a coach that finally figured this out.
It’s what he himself and we need.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #144
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is good. Let him increase his value and trade him in the off-season. He is still taking some silly penalties and I don't think he will play like this in the regular season next year. We have seen this same movie before and also think guys like Mangiapane and Dube are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Gaudreau+Bennett can be packaged up for some very good assets.. especially if the Flames can bring in Hall.

Gaudreau+Bennett for Hischier would be pretty sweet.

Hall-Hischier-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Dube
Rookie-Ryan-Rookie

Last edited by keenan87; 08-08-2020 at 08:34 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #145
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
This is good. Let him increase his value and trade him in the off-season. He is still taking some dumb penalties and I don't think he will play like this in the regular season next year. We have seen this same movie before and also think guys like Mangiapane and Dube are ahead of him on the depth chart.

Gaudreau+Bennett can be packaged up for some very good assets.. especially if the Flames can bring in Hall.

Gaudreau+Bennett for Hischier would be pretty sweet.

Hall-Hischier-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Dube
Rookie-Ryan-Rookie
Cue dissentowner to ‘lol’ your trade proposal.

He’s already told us the Devils would laugh off Gaudreau + Hanafin + Dubé for Hischier.....Smarten up man.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #146
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why trade him at all if he brings this every playoffs? Just crazy talk.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #147
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach finally puts Bennett at centre and plays him with the best linemates he’s had since his rookie season, and your response is to sell high?

Why not look at the fact his underlying numbers show he’s actually pretty solid and that perhaps circumstances and inexperience were what was holding him back?

What you’re also saying is you don’t want a depth player that raises his game during the most important part of the year - which if you’re not paying attention, is something this team needs.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #148
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett had 12 points this year. People are going to question whether or not the Flames should keep him when he has a $2.55 million cap hit. On his own that's not completely terrible, but when you factor in that the Flames also have Lucic ($5.25m AAV) and Ryan ($3.125m AAV) in the bottom six, the Flames don't have a lot of money left to improve the top six, add a top 4 Dman and get a competent goalie to platoon with Rittich.

This is also the 4th straight year Bennett has disappointed in the regular season, so yeah...it's great he's had a beast mode play in series, but 4 games isn't going to erase all the other concerns for most people.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #149
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Coach finally puts Bennett at centre and plays him with the best linemates he’s had since his rookie season, and your response is to sell high?

Why not look at the fact his underlying numbers show he’s actually pretty solid and that perhaps circumstances and inexperience were what was holding him back?

What you’re also saying is you don’t want a depth player that raises his game during the most important part of the year - which if you’re not paying attention, is something this team needs.
I don't buy that Sam Bennett has all of a sudden turned the corner and will continue playing like this all the time as a centre. I can be proven wrong but I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to do it on a regular basis. We have the same conversation during everytime the Flames are in the playoffs and he comes out flat the following season. I get he doesn't have all star linemates.. but his production has declined every year.

As for him being a playoff performer.. sure, pay him league minimum to sit in the pressbox during the regular season and then he can play in the playoffs. I would much rather have that than him taking silly offensive zone penalties all the time and not contributing at all in the regular season.

Last edited by keenan87; 08-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
“Every Playoffs” is a little exaggerated given he’s been in only three series, one of which was won.

I actually think his past PO performance itself is a tad overstated, especially in the Avs series. I much prefer his game in the play in this year, but that’s a very small sample size.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #151
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
“Every Playoffs” is a little exaggerated given he’s been in only three series, one of which was won.

I actually think his past PO performance itself is a tad overstated, especially in the Avs series. I much prefer his game in the play in this year, but that’s a very small sample size.
5 series in total. 2015 Canucks and 2015 Ducks as well as the 3 most recent
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #152
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett himself never needed to “turn a corner”, his underlying numbers have always been strong. He needed circumstances to change. He needed depth to improve, and he needed an opportunity to play his natural position with some consistency.

He’s been given that, finally - and look at how he’s grabbing that opportunity.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #153
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
He’s exactly the type of player the flames have always wanted on the roster. Just came from an unexpected draft slot.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #154
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Sam Bennett himself never needed to “turn a corner”, his underlying numbers have always been strong. He needed circumstances to change. He needed depth to improve, and he needed an opportunity to play his natural position with some consistency.

He’s been given that, finally - and look and how he’s stepping up and grabbing that opportunity.
I don't know, I also like to watch games and not just look at advanced stats. In the games I have watched, he isn't effective at all.

I don't really get it, what made him effective this past series is being physically engaged. Both of his goals were not necessarily pretty plays. He was engaged physically.. you don't need depth, or better linemates, or to play a position to hit and engage in the regular season.

Once again, his production going down every year is a big concern. Instead of blaming many different coaches for randomly "hating" Bennett.. why not consider the fact that Bennett couldn't make his linemates better and earn a bigger shot?

Most players don't just get handed all star linemates. They need to work their way up and that is something Bennett has not been able to do yet.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #155
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
5 series in total. 2015 Canucks and 2015 Ducks as well as the 3 most recent
There’s only two (17 and 19) unless you’re counting this year’s play-in. Anyway, I don’t think that helps his case. 17 wasn’t that impressive. Neither was 2015 Ducks if I think back.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #156
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There’s only two (17 and 19) unless you’re counting this year’s play-in. Anyway, I don’t think that helps his case. 17 wasn’t that impressive. Neither was 2015 Ducks if I think back.
Of course I’m counting this years. That’s what stemmed this whole discussion again lol
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Of course I’m counting this years. That’s what stemmed this whole discussion again lol
I was talking about his history, plus these aren’t technically POs.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #158
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some people are never content, always looking for change. Sam played lights out and first reaction is to trade him for magic beans.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #159
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I also like to watch games and not just look at advanced stats. In the games I have watched, he isn't effective at all.

I don't really get it, what made him effective this past series is being physically engaged. Both of his goals were not necessarily pretty plays. He was engaged physically.. you don't need depth, or better linemates, or to play a position to hit and engage in the regular season.

Once again, his production going down every year is a big concern. Instead of blaming many different coaches for randomly "hating" Bennett.. why not consider the fact that Bennett couldn't make his linemates better and earn a bigger shot?

Most players don't just get handed all star linemates. They need to work their way up and that is something Bennett has not been able to do yet.

That’s nonsense. Tkachuk was given the same slot with Backlund and Frolik , the year after Bennett had it, and produced comparably as a rookie

Mangiapane was put with Backlund and had an 11 game scoreless streak and the coaches rode that out

And I like those guys, but it doesn’t magically create an alternate reality where Bennett had even quality linemates, never mind all star ones

One thing I do know is that people don’t like changing their mind, and their narrative. There is a lot behind that, which we won’t get in to.

You can throw all of the advanced stats forward, linemate data, and even let people watch the player’s actual performance, that they can see with their own eyes, when he is given consistent linemates - which many people have identified as an obvious challenge - and they still will stick to their own narrative
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #160
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'd actually argue that most top five picks do get handed all-star line mates. Teams realize that's where they expect them to play so they put them in those positions so they can grow into them. Other later picks have to earn more but usually top five picks are given a bit more room right off the bat.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo