Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #61
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Based on what?
Based on the most recent sample, which was this year when Ryan was injured and Bennett took his place as 3C. He showed that he was far above Jankowski, and below Ryan in effectiveness.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Based on the most recent sample, which was this year when Ryan was injured and Bennett took his place as 3C. He showed that he was far above Jankowski, and below Ryan in effectiveness.
That's fair ... he had metrics similar to Ryan with Dube and Lucic ... only about 45 minutes of time together so sample size is a stretch.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
OK...so he is better than Jankowski.

That much is a given...as i think 99% of the league was better than whatever Janko was this year.

That certainly does not qualify him as being better at the C position than at wing though....cause to this point in the last 6 seasons, that is simply untrue.

I think BT looks for upgrades on both guys whenever the time comes.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #64
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet in last years playoffs Ryan was not fast enough to keep up with the Av's nor tough enough to slow them down... Bennett was.

Ryan's highlight in his 5 career playoff games that he dominate the Neutral zone faceoff dot winning 12 of 18.

As a top 3 C Ryan will be going up against Scheifele or Eakin or Lowry.

If you don't like Bennett as a C then there is a case for the Flames to Go with Monahan, Lindholm and Backlund.

Eakin has 46 career playoff games as a 2/3 C and is not easy to play against having shown gritty characteristics similar to Bennett in the playoffs.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #65
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

In answer to the thread title...

"What if we're in the desert and it rains next week? Everything will be good for awhile, but we'll still be in the desert and the last time it rained was 4 years ago..."
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #66
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
In answer to the thread title...

"What if we're in the desert and it rains next week? Everything will be good for awhile, but we'll still be in the desert and the last time it rained was 4 years ago..."
abandon hope all ye who enter?

It doesn't matter if Bennett has a great playoffs and the Flames provide a bit of winning excitement it is the same as it ever was?

Your glass is not half empty.... it is mostly empty.

Are you lowering expectations in hope for a better outcome?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #67
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
abandon hope all ye who enter?

It doesn't matter if Bennett has a great playoffs and the Flames provide a bit of winning excitement it is the same as it ever was?

Your glass is not half empty.... it is mostly empty.

Are you lowering expectations in hope for a better outcome?
He's being a realist- in this case we now have more than ample evidence with Bennett playing during regular season play to know that he doesn't show the same level of jam/awareness/je ne sais quoi. Even if he does play amazing during the playoffs, it leaves us in the same position- what do we do with a player who is mostly useless 98% of the time but really effective 2% of the time? Just like if we were in a desert and thought it might rain this week. Great, we will have water next week. But we need water for the next 3 years, and so far we know that Bennett runs dry. And Bennett doesn't provide enough "water" on his own to guarantee an end to the cup drought.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #68
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the sake of Calgary Flames fans and Bennett's career, this may be the time where we part ways after this season. We could use his 2.5m to sign Taylor Hall or a UFA defenseman when the offseason occurs. If Bennett got more ice time on a team in desperate need of a LW/C, that's the team that should pursue for Bennett. Bennett unfortunately is on a team that is stacked in both positions.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #69
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
For the sake of Calgary Flames fans and Bennett's career, this may be the time where we part ways after this season. We could use his 2.5m to sign Taylor Hall or a UFA defenseman when the offseason occurs. If Bennett got more ice time on a team in desperate need of a LW/C, that's the team that should pursue for Bennett. Bennett unfortunately is on a team that is stacked in both positions.
Current centres :

Monahan
Backlund
Ryan
Jankowski

After the firesale centres :

Lindholm
Dube
Bennett
Gawdin

Centre prospects as a result of firesale :

Cozens ?
Kotkaniemi ?
Rossi ?

Maybe it's just the state of the team right now, but the dropoff isn't as far as I thought it would be, if all of Calgary's centres were suddenly sold off. I can't shake the feeling that the best centres arn't even playing the right position on this team. I'm warming to the idea of Lindholm, Backlund, Bennett, Ryan.

Sell Monahan and Jankowski, along with JG and Hanifin, and do a rebuild on the fly. Bennett for centre!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Current centres :

Monahan
Backlund
Ryan
Jankowski

After the firesale centres :

Lindholm
Dube
Bennett
Gawdin

Centre prospects as a result of firesale :

Cozens ?
Kotkaniemi ?
Rossi ?

Maybe it's just the state of the team right now, but the dropoff isn't as far as I thought it would be, if all of Calgary's centres were suddenly sold off. I can't shake the feeling that the best centres arn't even playing the right position on this team. I'm warming to the idea of Lindholm, Backlund, Bennett, Ryan.

Sell Monahan and Jankowski, along with JG and Hanifin, and do a rebuild on the fly. Bennett for centre!
That isnt a rebuild...that is blowing it up.

Trading 3 core players...so a guy who has proven he cant play C....can play C?

What is happening here?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #71
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea was to see whether Calgary was stacked in the centre position, or if we were wearing rose coloured glasses. I think that the glasses are a little rosy, and that there is some work to be done at the position, which could include Bennett.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #72
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this run will be the end of the line for Bennett as a Flame. I have been a huge fan and believer of him since we drafted him back in 2014. I like the style he plays and when he is on I love that he is on our team but he just won’t get it here.

I could see Bennett thriving in a new situation and still becoming a 20 goal 50pt threat and with his style of play he will be a valuable player for whatever team he goes to.

I see him as a sweetener on a blockbuster deal. If he has a beast playoffs though I wonder if the Flames could swap him for Dylan Strome in a deal?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #73
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The idea was to see whether Calgary was stacked in the centre position, or if we were wearing rose coloured glasses. I think that the glasses are a little rosy, and that there is some work to be done at the position, which could include Bennett.
I may have gotten you misunderstood with my poor post. I should've said Bennett would be better off on a team that could use a LW/C, because we are stacked on LW and have 4 centers that play better than him at the position.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #74
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think this run will be the end of the line for Bennett as a Flame. I have been a huge fan and believer of him since we drafted him back in 2014. I like the style he plays and when he is on I love that he is on our team but he just won’t get it here.

I could see Bennett thriving in a new situation and still becoming a 20 goal 50pt threat and with his style of play he will be a valuable player for whatever team he goes to.

I see him as a sweetener on a blockbuster deal. If he has a beast playoffs though I wonder if the Flames could swap him for Dylan Strome in a deal?
It would take a pretty substantial add to turn bennett into strome at this point Imo. Unless Bennett goes supernova in the playoffs (even then I don't see anyone falling for it.)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #75
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Wouldn't his 2.5 M go straight to Mangiapane? Jankowski or his replacement will be at the league minimum.

Depending on how far the Flames go in the playoffs the priority might change to a top-10 goalie as a target and a top-4 d-man to replace Brodie rather than upgrading a pretty solid top-6/7 if you count Ryan.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #76
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far so good.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #77
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think the big question is what to do about the expansion draft.

Milan Lucic
Johnny Gaudreau
Sean Monahan
Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk
Dillon Dube
Andrew Mangiapane
Mikael Backlund
Sam Bennett

that's nine fowards. Even if Lucic waives his NMC, calgary is still one player over the limit.

Seems like they will have to do something like a trade unless they want to lose someone for nothing.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #78
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i think the big question is what to do about the expansion draft.

Milan Lucic
Johnny Gaudreau
Sean Monahan
Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk
Dillon Dube
Andrew Mangiapane
Mikael Backlund
Sam Bennett

that's nine fowards. Even if Lucic waives his NMC, calgary is still one player over the limit.

Seems like they will have to do something like a trade unless they want to lose someone for nothing.

That’s a good list. Want to keep them all at this point!
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #79
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Dube and Mangi should be considered part of the core going forward. Johnny may not be here for the expansion draft, but ideally there's another forward taking his place (Hall, or a forward we traded Johnny for).

If you buy into Bennett long term then I think you expose Backlund IMO, and I really like Backs.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #80
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam Bennett. Wow. Just wow.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo